Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I move to my grandmas without parental consent in Florida at age 17?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey I'm 15 years old and Im gonna be turning 16 in 4 months my I wanna move in with my grandma she said I could and the reason why is that my house is making me more and more mentally unstable I have a step-mother who trashs talks about me and my step cousins and step brother make fun of me and my dad gets pissed when I get upset so it's not a healthy environment for me I live in the state of Tennessee I wanna know how I can move in with my grandma without my dad stopping me

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thank you for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did. It sounds things are really stressful and hard for you at home right now. When your step mother and other of her family members single you out and trash talk and make fun of you – it is understandable that this effects your mental stability, especially since your dad isn’t sticking up for you either. You are very brave and resourceful to reach out to your grandma for help and support.
      We are not legal experts, but our understanding is that since it sounds like your dad has custody of you, he does have the right to determine where you live and to stop you from living with your grandma. If your grandma would be willing to talk with him on your behalf and let him know how serious this is – how badly you feel, maybe something can be worked out.
      We can also help you talk with him about this. We can help you by doing a conference call. You’d call us, then we would call him and we would act as your ally and advocate in talking through this problem.
      You can reach us 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 (1-800-RUNAWAY), or if you want to chat about it, we have live chat services via www.1800runaway.org
      We hope to hear from you soon,
      Sincerely
      NRS

Hi I'm 14 and want to move in with my grandmother so I'm 14 and desperately want and need to go live with my grandmother. My father has put my self -worth at 0 and continues to drop it even lower. He is constantly breaking things my grandmother and mother has bought me but never anything he or my stepmother has purchased. He is a very racist and homophobic person. Me and my full sister are both homosexual and he yelled at her for an hour when she came out and just shrugged his shoulders and said no you’re not whenever I did. He's constantly putting down LGBTQ people and my sister. Can I move out?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 02-22-2020, 01:10 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing your feelings about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. It is not your fault or the fault of your sister. You cannot control what he does, says or how he feels. The situation sounds very tense and stressful. Here is something you might consider as an option. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.
      We understand if you are unsure about taking this type of action.
      NRS is here to listen and here to help. Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929), www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
      Take care and be safe,
      NRS

Can I move out the house at 16 without my parent consent in California

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share your post on our Bulletin. It sounds like you are looking into leaving home before you turn 18 and have some questions.

Generally speaking, your parents are your legal guardians until you turn 18, so they can decide where you live. If you do choose to leave without permission, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that if your parents know where you are staying then they can have the police return you home.

The easiest way to leave home as a minor is with your parents’ permission. In this case, they would be allowing you to live somewhere else where you are safe and being cared for. A helpful step is to start reaching out to friends and family members you might be able to stay with. Sometimes having an adult on your side to advocate for you can make communicating your needs more effective to your parents. Perhaps an adult family member, a friend's parent or a counselor at school can talk to your parents with you about your experience at home and the possibility of you leaving.

We hope this information helps and we want you to know that we truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay safe,
      NRS

I’m 16 years old an I want to move out I’m still going to school an have a place to stay. I live in California. but my case is not the best I’ve ran away before to leave here an have gotten sent to a behavior school in Utah for 4 moths I was court order to. But I live with my stepmother an Biological father. I wish not to live with them anymore because of the way I get treated. They make me feel bad about my self around last year in February I was sent to a mental hospital for cutting. I told my parents i was cutting cause I just didn’t wanna be alive anymore. But the real reason was because of the way I get treated an I feel bad about my self an that I wasn’t worth being alive. I’ve been doing better but I still have the feeling that they just want to put me down they never listen to what I have to say like I get ignored. I really been having the urge to just run away again but I thought maybe there’s a way to get Emancipated or be able to move in with my grandmother?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS it seems like you have been going through a lot and it’s understandable to reach out for help. Your parents should be supporting you, not putting you down like that or ignored. Its hard that even though you are feel like you are doing better in a vacuum that your parents aren’t giving you room to heal and be your own person.
      In answer to your question you could potentially go live with your grandmother if you got parent/guardian permission to do so. Otherwise they can report you as a runaway again and the police will probably bring you back home. Emancipation could be an options but often relies on you being able to be self-supporting with a job and a reason to live separately from your parents so may be a difficult road.
      You also mentioned self-harming as a way to cope, https://twloha.com/ is a good resource for you and others who have turned to self-harm. It is important to have ways to cope and we hope that there is a healthy way to cope. We also recommend trying to find things like after-school activities or clubs as a way to stay out of the house longer but with COVID-19 orders it is probably more worthwhile to see if there are online counseling resources available to have someone to talk to and help guide you through this difficult time.
      If you have more questions or just need someone to talk with you can always call out to our hotline or chat with us online at 1-800-RUNAWAY or 1800runaway.org.

hi if i can go live with my grandparents in flordia at 12 years old to get away form my mom and how can i write my grandparents a leter if i can live with them and get my phone back and how an i get a plane flight

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen.
      It sounds like you have a lot of great questions and we hope we are able to help.
      We are not legal experts but if you were to leave your mother without permission she could file a runaway report. Because you are a minor if the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. One option to consider is to ask your mother for permission to go live with your grandparents. You can also ask your mother to help you write a letter to them. Usually for a letter you would need to know their address and have a stamp so that way you can mail the letter to them. Also because of your age most airlines will require you have someone accompany you during your flight. If they do not require this they most likely would require your legal guardian’s permission to fly.
      If you need someone to talk to about what is going on at home we are always here. You can also consider talking to a trusted adult or school counselor. We know most schools may be closed right now but some school counselors are still meeting virtually with students.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options, please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
      NRS

hello i am 16 can i leave home without my parent knowing and live with my grandma in Mississippi

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to us. You are under your parent or legal guardian’s supervision until you are 18. If you leave home without permission before then, your parents could file a runaway report on you. Running away isn’t a crime, but it is a status offense like breaking curfew. If found, the police can bring you back home. Perhaps more seriously, anyone you stay with could be accused of harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor in most localities. We don’t share this information to persuade you in any way, but only to give you some things to think about.

We hope this information helps. Please contact us if you’d like to talk about your situation some more. There may be other options that we can think of if we work together (for instance, if you get permission from your parents to leave that's a different story). Again, our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY and you can chat with us at www.1800ruanway.org. We’re confidential, never tell you what to do, and are a safe place to talk.

Hi my grandson is 15 his mom has kicked him out so he goes to dad he does the same thing to long of a story but my grandson has been threw so much the past 8 years I went and got him last night I'm his grandmother can he live with me I have raised him sence he was 4 lived with me his dad was in prison 8 years mother didn't have time and lives with her boyfriend has 2 kids by him he went bk to live with her for 6 months didn't wk so she kicked him out so by law can I keep him here with me how can I get it legal he has a good safe loving home with me and my husband please help

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS,
      It does seem like your grandson has been through a lot due to the actions of his parents. It’s awesome of you to be so supportive of them through all this and provide a safe and stable place as best you can.
      While we aren’t legal experts generally if a parent kicks a youth out of the house before 18 that constitutes neglect. As such the youth can go anywhere they would feel safe or could get help. There might be a couple ways of going about getting custody if you wanted to make 100% sure he can stay there legally and that his parents don’t have legal rights over his decisions anymore. You could either get written permission from his parents that he can stay with you long-term. This skips the courts and legal processes but if they changed their mind at some point then they would still have rights over him to bring him back to their house.
      The other option would be adoption or fostering them. This would probably involve the courts in some way, or CPS/DCFS to get everything sorted correctly. You could start this process either by contacting legal aid, or your local CPS office.
      Hopefully this information has helped clear up your options a bit. If you have more or need help reaching out to legal aid please call our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Hi, I am 14 years old.
    I really want to move to Florida because I have a lot of friends there and none of my friends are here ... I am also sad because I have no one to talk to
    about my problems ... how can I tell my parents to move to Florida with me??

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

I am sixteen and I live in Georgia. My parents have been divorced since I was nine. Can I move to my moms parents house without consent from my mom or dad?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us here at NRS. It sounds like you are thinking about living with your grandparents, but you might not get permission from your parents. While we are not legal experts we can speak generally on this. If you leave home without permission from your parents, they can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This basically means your parents can ask police to return you back home.

The easiest way to leave home as a minor is with permission from your parents. We understand this conversation can be incredibly difficult to approach with parents and perhaps your grandparents or another trusted adult can help you talk with your parents about how you are feeling.

We are available 24/7 for immediate support by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or through live chat at 1800runaway.org. Please do not hesitate to reach out again if you would like to talk more about your situation and explore your possible options.

Best of luck,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X