Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I move to my grandmas without parental consent in Florida at age 17?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im 14 live in california and dont want to live with my gaurdian can i leave home to live with my aunt?

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are having issues with your guardian and are wanting to live with your aunt. That cannot be easy and here at NRS we want to help inform you of your options.

In California, the legal age you can leave home without permission is 18. If you leave without permission before you are 18, your guardian can report you as a runaway to local police and if you are found you typically would be returned home. The easiest way you can leave at 18 is with your guardian's permission. This might be really difficult for you, but you might try talking to your aunt about how you are feeling and maybe she can talk to your mom for you. There might be additional options for you depending on your situation such as if abuse is your home situation or if you are financially self-sufficient and functioning as an adult. Please call or chat us if you would like to explore abuse reporting or emancipation options.

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best,

NRS

im 12 and living in ontario, could i live with a friend without consent from a parent? lately i've been getting stressed over social media issues, officers talking to me,having my phone being removed,therapy sessions,and much more. But today my dad had a talk with my vice principle stating that i need punishment for my behavior towards school and how i'm late,i don't wear uniform, i don't do my homework, and that if i continue to do so, my dad suggested an officer. Now the truancy officer i going to have to come to my house.My friend has offered to let me stay at her house, but when i ask my parents they say no, so i dont know what to do. I've said it over and over again to my parents but they don't understand that i need a break from them.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

I'm 15 and i really want to move out from my dads house is there any chance I can leave with a family member without a parents consent???
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 10-04-2018, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Reply: I'm 15 and i really want to move

Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
      As of right now you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options.

While we are not experts on the law, someone under 18 that leaves home, the parent/guardian may file them as a runaway and they may be returned home. Also, those that a reported runaway stays with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Anyone found to be assisting or aiding someone to run away may also find themselves at risk legally. For more specifics on the law, you might consider contacting the local non-emergency number for the police. You might also look for a legal aid center in the area. They may be able to answer any legal questions on the subject.

NRS is here to listen and here to help.
      If you would like to talk more in detail about your situation, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Be safe,
      NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I’m 13 I’m adopted and I have a adopted sister that is the same age as me but she is my adopted parents real daughter and I get mistreated a lot what can I do about this the only time I feel like I am free is when I’m with my adopted grandmother could I be able to move with her ? I know who my real mother is would they send me back with her if she came to fight for me

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a really difficult situation living with your adopted parents who treat you differently than their biological child. That seems really hurtful to deal with, and here at NRS we truly want to support you during this difficult time.

That's great that you might have some options wiht living with your grandmother or biological mom! The easiest way to leave home is with your guardian’s permission (from the information you have provided it seems like your adopted parents are your legal guardians). We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to them such as your grandmother or bio mom. If they are okay with you living elsewhere, they could give that person temporary guardianship of you or they could turn over all rights to them. Unfortunately, the only way that you can be removed from their home involuntarily (if they were not okay with letting you leave) is through Child Protective Services (CPS) if safety is a concern. If safety is a concern for you please do not hesitate to call or chat us so we can focus on your safety and talk more about your reporting rights.

Here at NRS, we want you to know that you are no lesser than anyone else, especially your adopted sister. You deserve to be treated with respect and to feel safe in your own home. If you haven’t already you might let your adopted parents or a trusted adult know how you are feeling about how differently you two are treated by your parents. A trusted adult could be a family friend, an extended family member, or a counselor. Sometimes it helps to have an adult advocate for you when your parents are not hearing you. If you would like to have a mediated conversation with your parents, please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. It can be a safe space to let them know how all of this is affecting you.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Im 15 and i live with my mom, dad, brother and sister in a small 3 bedroom apartment i was wondering if i could moveout and live with my best friend and her mom without my parents consent. And if i do moveout will the cops bring me back home if my parents call them?

Comment

• ccsmod5
          ccsmod5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi,
          Thank you for your question. We here are not legal experts, but we can give some general information. At 15 years old, you would still be considered a minor in any state and would need permission from your parents to live anywhere else. If you leave without permission, your parents could file a runaway report and if the police are able to find you they will return you home. If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to us any time by phone at 1-800-786-2929. We are here to find resources
          Stay safe,
          NRS

I am 15 almost 16 and my parents have been emotionally abusing me and it has gotten physical a couple of times. They always tell me I can go live with another family member because they don’t care but when I say I want to they say I can’t make any of my own descions until I’m 18. So many people have offered to let me live with them due to my circumstances and I don’t know if I have any legal solution. But I don’t think I can do this anymore but I can’t call CPS because I don’t have any proof

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.
          Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
          If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
          We hope to hear from you soon.
          Be safe,
          NRS

Hello I have a 14 year old grandson who does not want to live with his mom because of her husband. What can I do to take custody of him? At what age in Florida can he decide with who to live?

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi. Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing part of your story with us. It sounds like your grandson is in a tough situation. We are not legal experts however in Florida it appears that you must be at least 18 years old in order to leave home without parental consent. You may want to see if you can work out an alternative living arrangement with your grandson’s mother. You may also want to consider reaching out to a legal expert. This may help you gather information on how to go about getting custody over your grandson. You may be able to find great resources on lawhelp.org. In addition, if you happen to need a legal services referral or would just like to discuss your situation further please feel free to reach out to us via phone at 1800-runaway or come chat with us at 1800runaway.org. We hope this was helpful. Take care, NRS.

My great niece is 16 and lives in Kentucky. I raised her from the age of 3 months until she was 5 years old. Over the years she always complain about how her mom hits her and verbally abuses her. She recently has told ther mother she likes girls and every since then the verbal abuse has gotten worse. She calls me crying and wants to come live with me. I’m afraid she will run away because she feels I’m not doing nothing to help her. I tried talking to her mother but it has not worked. What can I do legally to help her?

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there, thanks for reaching out today for your great niece. It sounds like she has been through a lot living with her mom, and things have gotten worse since she came out to her. That must be extremely hurtful for her to deal with, and we are glad that she has a support like you when she is really lacking support at home.

We are not legal experts but we can answer your question. Unfortunately, if her mom is her legal guardian you would have to gain permission from her mom for her to legally stay with you. If mom does become okay with her staying with you, you all can also do a temporary guardianship agreement if mom is worried about the liability of her leaving home. Your main right and her right, is to report the abuse at home to child protective services. Unfortunately, emotional abuse can be hard to prove as highly dangerous, but it sounds like there has been physical abuse as well. She deserves infinitely better than that. To learn more about what reporting could do in her situation you might reach out to the expert child advocates at Child Help 1-800-422-4453.

It must be hard on you that she said it feels like your not doing anything to help her. It's clear that you are wanting to help as much as possible. One thing to keep in mind is that if she does run away and her mom files her as a runaway with local police, and she is found at yours. Her mom could have the option to press harboring a runaway charges against you. So as hard as it is, it's also important to think about your own situation while trying to help her.

It's unacceptable that the recent abuse at home is due to her sexual orientation, she should be loved and cherished for who she is. If you can, you might let her know that she can always call us for support. There is also the LGBT National Hotline: 1-888-843-4564 or www.glbthotline.org. She is never alone.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to talk through your situation: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

Best,

NRS

Hello I live in North Carolina and I live with my aunt and uncle buh they only have gardianship over me when im 16 can I move in with my mother without their concent

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
          While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission or in this case your aunt and uncle. Whoever has full guardianship of you decides where you go until that. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
          We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
          Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
          If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
          Be safe,
          NRS

can i move out with my girlfriend at 17 without parent consent, they think I'm immature and don't know how to go out into the real world, they won't even let me get a job or permit. before my 17 birthday im getting a job and ill have a car. my girlfriend is in the military but will be home for 2 years after basic in Feb.

Comment

• ccsmod6
          ccsmod6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It must be very frustrating to have your parents restrict your independence so much. It is understandable why you feel like you want to be able to do a little bit more with your life. Unfortunately, you need your parents’ permission to move out if you are still a minor in your state. If you do not have it, your parents can file a runaway report which would allow the police to notify your guardians and return you home if they encountered you. If you want to know more about running away or if you want to talk about what other options there are, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
          NRS

Am I able to move in with my aunt and uncle without my dads consent I’m going to be 16 in March and I live in Ohio my dad is only home about 4-6 days out of the month my grandpa helps take care of me the house is not a place to live in and my dad abuses me for things I don’t do.

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out.

You stated that your dad abuses you for things you don’t do, and that the house is not a place to live in. You’re really brave for enduring all of this before, and we are here to support you in any way that we can. An option you can explore would be to reach out to a teacher or a school counselor, and advise them of the abuse that is going on. They may be able to assist you with sup0port and resources to report the abuse. If you wish to talk to someone about the abuse, you can call the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1800) 422-4453. You may remain anonymous, and explore the option of making an abuse report.

You mentioned that you wanted to leave your house and go live with your aunt and uncle, without your dad’s consent. We’re not legal experts, but if you decide to leave your home without your dad’s consent, you dad can contact the authorities and file a runaway report. Whoever you end up staying with, my face some charges for harboring a runaway. You can explore the option of talking to your dad about possibly being with your aunt and uncle. You can as well talk to your aunt and uncle, and see if they can talk with your dad as well.

We hope these options and resources can be of some help, you’re not alone. If you need additional resources, or want us to call out on to the resources on your behalf, you can call us anytime at 18000 786-2929. Best of luck!

Hey I am going to be 16 years old can I move out with out my parents consent I live in Yarmouth Nova Scotia
        if I have a place to stay I have a job and still go to school

Comment

• ccsmod16
          ccsmod16 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help.

The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Sincerely,
          NRS

My granddaughter is 16 and I had her all her life and her mom move and taken her with her do the 16 have the right to come back if she’s not happy

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello There,
          Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you and your granddaughter have gone through a lot.
          We are not legal experts but we do have some information on the laws. If you are her legal guardian she does have the right to go to your home. If you are not her legal guardian you may have to go to the court house and file for custody. You may find the best answer by contacting your local court house or police and seeing what your options are.
          We hope this may be helpful in this situation. Please give us a call if you have any other questions or would like to explore options. Best of luck!
          NRS

Hey, so I'm 17 years old and still living with my parents. They're both fairly verbally abusive, and my mother has been physically abusive in the past. I can't get emancipated because neither of them would consent to this, but my boyfriend and his parents would gladly allow me to live with them if I could move out. In Jackson County Florida, by the way, but am I able to move out somehow?

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out!

You mentioned that you want to move out of your parent’s home and make it out on your own. It’s great that you have an amazing support system like your boyfriend and his family by your side. Unfortunately we aren’t legal experts, but in most states anyone under 18 is considered a minor, meaning your parents can contact the authorities and file a runaway report. Whoever you end up staying with may face some charges for harboring a runaway. An option you can explore would be to wait until you’re of legal age, and talk to your parents about wanting to move out on your own. With you being 17, you may want to consider reaching out to your local non-emergency phone number, and inquire about runaway laws in your area.

If there is physical abuse going on in the home, you guys can report it over the phone by contacting the National Child Abuse hotline at 1800) 422-4453. Someone will contact you within 48 hours after filing the report. In the same way, if you ever want to talk to someone like a counselor about what you are going through, you guys have options. You can contact the National Alliance on Mental Illness at 1800) 950-6264 and speak with a counselor.

We hope that these options can be of some help to you. If you need additional help, or want us to reach out somewhere on your behalf, you can call us 24/7 at 1800)786-2929. Best of luck!
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X