Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I move to my grandmas without parental consent in Florida at age 17?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I move to my grandmas without parental consent in Florida at age 17?

Hey guys, I'm about to turn 17 next month & I live in florida. I want to move in with my grandmother because my mother always put me down and currently my self worth is at 0. They put so much on me and I'm at the point where I know living with my grandmother is best for me. But that worst part is my mom won't consent to any of this. A few people have told me that in florida at 16 you can choose whatever family member you want to live with without consent of your parents. Is this true? I'm not so willing to do a custody battle because it's only one more year but if I don't leave I might end up in high school an extra year.

RE: Can I move to my grandmas without parental consent in Florida at age 17?

Hello –

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. From your message it sounds like you’re is going through a very hard time right now with your mother. It must be very frustrating not to know what your next steps are going to be when it comes this situation. It’s brave of you to reach out during yours and your sister’s time of need.

Laws on that specific subject of running away vary from state to state, so our advice would be call your local non-emergency police number to get more information on that. Generally what typically happens in each state is if you are below the legal age of majority (18 in most states except Alabama and Nebraska [19 or upon marriage], and Mississippi [21]), what generally happens; your parents or legal guardian would be able to make a runaway report in the event that you do run away. Since it’s only considered a statues offense and not a crime to run away, the only thing that would happen is that the police will pick you up and bring you back home. If the parents do make a runaway report and you stay with someone else, your parents can press charges on that family for harboring a runaway when they are not giving accurate information on her whereabouts. So that might be something to keep in mind as well. Another thing is that there are some cases in which the police will not take a runaway report for a 17 year old, especially if they are close to turning 18 years old.

Your parents may give you permission to live with another family member, but without getting an official document from the court they would still be legally responsible for her. Which means that they can also take away that permission at any given moment and take her back home to live with them once again while 17 years old. If your sister were to leave home and live with you, think about what your parent’s might do in that situation. Either give her permission or file a runaway report. If your sister would give us a call on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help her find resources in the area and could potentially help her brainstorm a possible solution to the issues she is having. We also have an online chat service available every night from 4:30-11:30PM CST that is available through our website (www.1800runaway.org).
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I'm 15 and live in Florida but when I turn 16 can I move in with a friend?

Currently I'm living in Florida and I'm 15 but when I turn 16 in a few months can do I have the right to live with a
      friend or other family member? People have told me yes but I'm not for certain.
      My dad is a real... jerk at times putting all his stress down upon me and my brother but I would like to know
      if I could move out at 16 in Florida?

Comment

Re: Can I move to my grandmas without parental consent in Florida at age 17?

Thank you for using our bulletin service we really appreciate you reaching out to us.

It sounds like you are having a really hard time living at home because of your dad putting his stress on you. It is understandable why you would not want to live in a stressful home like that.

Unfortunately we aren't legal experts here, but we are able to speak generally as to what might happen if you leave. For anyone under the age of 18 your parents have the right to make a runaway report in the event that you do run away. Since it’s only considered a statues offense and not a crime to run away, the only thing that would happen is that the police will pick you up and bring you back home. This is of course if you had any interaction with the police directly or if they stopped you to ask you a few questions. You can find out more about how runaway’s reports are carried out by contacting your local police department.

One way to get more detailed information for your area would be to call your local police non-emergency line and ask them questions anonymously. One of the services we offer at the National Runaway Safeline is that we can call the police with you on a conference call, if that would make the situation easier. We can also conference call with you and your dad. During one of our conference calls one of our trained liners with act as a mediator. The liner would be there to provide you with support during the call and make sure that the conversation stays positive and on the right track.

If you want to talk about this or need referrals to your police department feel free to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY
        Last edited by ccsmod0; 03-11-2016, 06:30 PM.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

almost 17 and wanna move to boyfriends

Ok so I'll be 17 in less than a month and my dad who has full coesty of me. Is putting alot of stress on my life. Also they house we live in is not suitable for human life... But my boyfriends parents house is suitable and they are willing to take me.. But my dad says no. What should I do?

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re in a tough situation right now, especially because of your dad putting a lot of stress in your life and the house you are living in not being suitable for your needs.

We are not legal experts, but it sounds like because of your age, you may be unable to move out of your father’s house and go to your boyfriend’s parents’ house. From what we know, in your state you are considered a minor until you reach the age of 18 years old. It can be a little tricky at the age of 17, but there are some cases in which a police officer won't take a runaway report for someone that is 17. Especially if there are a little closer to turning 18 years old, along with having already graduated high school. This is not the case all the time of course, but it is something that we have heard of happening before. The only way to know for sure of that would be to reach out to your local non-emergency police and asking them hypothetical questions about running away. If you don’t feel comfortable doing so, you can call into this hotline and we can reach out on your behalf with you on hold. Then we would click over and tell you what they said and talk a little further about your plan.

We are also available to talk on the phone with you, and we are 24/7. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are here to listen and help in any way we can. The fact that you reached out for support shows how courageous you are, and we admire your bravery in this difficult time. Please feel free to call us at any time to speak with us in person.

Thank you,
            The National Runaway Safeline

Comment

Can I live with my grandma without parental consent at the age of 15?

Comment

Hi,
                Thank you so much for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It’s a difficult step to take but hopefully we’ll be able to help you out with whatever led you to contact us. It sounds like home is a difficult place right now and you’re looking to move in with your grandmother?

While we are not a legal hotline, we can provide you with some general information. In most states, 18 is the age of majority meaning at that time you legally become an adult. So, you can leave home without parental consent once you’re 18. However, some cases prove the exception. If you’re interested in developing a different plan or looking at other options, our hotline or chat services are always open. Our number is 1(800)786-2929, and our chat services are available on our website. We are 24/7 and confidential. We can also provide you with resources to best help with your specific situation.

Thank you again for contacting us. You’ve been dealing with a lot of stress and frustration and we’re glad that you messaged us for help. If there’s anything else we can help you with please contact us in the ways listed previously. It takes a lot to ask for help and look for options and as always we’re here to listen and we’re here to help. Good luck.
                NRS

Comment

I used to live with my grandmother for two years I recently moved in with my mom about 2 months ago and my mental health has went severly down . I want to go back with my grandmother but she says no . I'm only 16 . but my dad says yes . but I don't live with him .

Comment

• ccsmod6
                    ccsmod6 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us. We are so sorry that your mental health has been declining ever since moving in with your mom. It’s understandable that you would be seeking out other options, it seems like you are just trying to do the best for yourself.

Things can get a little bit tricky if your mom told you that you could not live with your grandma but your dad told you that you could. Normally, parental permission is what is necessary in order for a youth to be allowed to leave home before the age of 18. So when it comes to your parents, the biggest factor is how their custody papers worked out. We are not legal experts, so we cannot give you definite legal advice, but normally you would have to listen to the parent who has primary guardianship of you. Every parents’ child custody papers are different though, so you would have to find that out first. Your mom or dad will possibly know this information.

Thanks again for contacting us. If you need any more information please feel free to reach out to us again! You can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are 24/7 so someone will always be here to listen and see what else we can do for you.

I'm 14 years old & I live in Florida... I want to leave and my understanding is that I can leave without Concent at 16 I'm almost 15... in a few months actually. My sister lives in Massachusetts & I want to move with her because I feel she excepts me the way I am & the family I live with doesn't . Mind you, I'm adopted & ive been adopted since 8... so can I move with my sister or no?

Comment

• ccsmod10
                    ccsmod10 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hello, thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you are in a really tough situation. We are here to help.
                    We are not legal experts but can speak in general terms. It is not illegal or a crime to run away without parental consent. It is called a status offense, which means you cannot do it because of your age. In Florida, you must be 18 to move out without parental consent. So if you do leave without your parents’ permission, they could file a runaway report which lets the police know you are gone. If the police do find you, you will likely be returned back home.
                    Have you considered speaking with your parents about staying with your sister or another family member? If you have your parents’ permission, staying in a different home may be a possible option for you. We do offer conference calling if you think it would be beneficial to speak with your parents with NRS on the line too. We play the role of an advocate for you and act as a neutral third party. Sometimes having a third party can be helpful in stressful situations.
                    You may have already done this, but you could consider speaking with your sister as well to confirm if she would be willing to have you live with her. Perhaps she could act as a mediator in a conversation with your parents too.
                    Again, thank you so much for reaching out. You are smart to think of some different options for yourself. Please call us or live chat us on our website. We are here 24/7 to listen and help you.

Can i live with my grandma when 13 because i don't want to live with my mom or my dad and i herd that if you are 12 and over u can go to court and say who you want to live and i have to leave this weekened to go with my mom and i dont want to live with her because there was a sitution that happened last year in APRIL and we went to court on Valentines day and they got 50 50 coustidy but my mom gets to have us during the week and my dad gets the weekened but i knew my mom is with somebody that is a criminal and i dont fill safe but i hope u can reply as fast as u can .
                  Call 1-800-RUNAWAY if you are thinking of running from home, if you have a friend who has runaway, or if you are a runaway ready to go home.

Comment

• ccsmod7
                    ccsmod7 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hello there,

We are glad you reached out to us. We'll try to help. It's unfortunate that your situation at home is unsafe with your mother’s partner. It's understandable that you would want to live somewhere else.

If you are ever feeling like you are in immediate danger please call 911. If your situation involves abuse, you might be able to report it to child protective services. Please call or chat us if that is your situation and you would like to talk more about your options.

We are not legal experts but we can speak generally. If you leave without your parents' permission and they file a runaway report with your local police, you would be returned home if they find you. Also, the people you go to will get in trouble for harboring a minor. You might want to talk to your mom and see if she can see your situation and agree to a change.

You can also call us if you want to talk more about it. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are here 24/7 and are confidential. Good luck.

Can I move out at 17 to my grandmas house and what if she calls the police can she force me back to live with her

Comment

• ccsmod9
                    ccsmod9 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hello,
                    Thanks for posting on the National Runaway Safeline forum today.
                    We’re not legal experts here, but typically you’d need to be 18 before you’re able to move out of your legal guardian’s home without their consent or without the threat of law enforcement being able to return you back home.
                    This is not always the case, however. Sometimes the police may just leave a 17 year old alone. We can help you find out for sure if you gave us a call here a 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We’d be able to help you call the police in your area to ask them directly.
                    Please keep in mind that if you are discovered at someone’s home, they might be charged with “harboring a runaway”, meaning, they let a minor stay at their home without the consent of their parents.
                    Please consider giving us a call directly or using the Live Chat function on this website. However, we can only call out to police to someone who calls us.
                    Best of luck,
                    NRS

Hi I'm 15 I have a 2 year old brother and my mom takes her anger out on me but not my brother, also I live in Ohio, can I move in with my grandparents but my brother stat with our mom

Comment

• ccsmod0
                    ccsmod0 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hello,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us. We’re so sorry to hear that your mom’s been taking her anger out on you. It sounds like you’ve given some thought to an alternative place to stay, but you’ve got questions on whether it would be possible. We’re not legal experts, but from what we understand, if you’re considered a minor in your state, your parent or legal guardian would have to give consent for you to live with someone else. One step you can take is to speak with your grandparents to find out if they’d be comfortable with you living with them. Given that you and your mom haven’t been getting along, perhaps it would help to have you, your mom & your grandparents sit down together to discuss whether you moving in with them is an option everyone would be comfortable with.

If you have questions about how to approach your situation, or even if you just want someone to talk to, know that we are here for you. We won’t tell you what to do, but we will do our best to support you regardless of what you decide to do. We’re here to listen, here to help.
                    Stay safe!
                    -NRS
                    Last edited by ccsmod10; 09-14-2017, 09:49 PM.

I live with my dad and I'm 14 we never have food and don't have heat. My mom lives far away so I don't wanna live with her. I stay with my friend 75% of the time they feed me put clothes on my back and everything. Can I live with them

Comment

• ccsmod15
                    ccsmod15 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hello,

Thanks for sharing your story with us. We’re sorry to hear that your father is not meeting your needs and mother’s home is not an option. However, we are glad you have a good friend whose family provides for you.

We’re not legal experts, but, in general, as a minor (under age 18 in most states), you need cannot leave home without your parents’ permission. If you are out of the home and your parents file a runaway report, the local authorities are obligated to return you to the home of your legal guardian. However, if your parents give you permission to stay with this friend and no runaway report is filed, then no action would be taken.

To keep you fully informed, there are some alternative scenarios to consider: In the case that a runaway report is filed, it is possible the family who you are staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway. If you would like to prevent the police from returning to your father’s home, you would have to share with the authorities any instances of neglect or abuse you encountered by your parents. Also, should your relationship with your friend or their family change, they have no legal obligation to care for you. Ultimately, you know your situation better than anyone else, and only you can make the decision about what is best for you.

If you have any additional questions or want to talk about your situation, we encourage you to call us at 1-800-RUN-AWAY. Our lines are open 24/7 and we are here to help.

We wish you the best of luck,
                    NRS

Can you move in with your grandparents at the age of 14 without a parents permission

Comment

• ccsmod5
                    ccsmod5 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi,
                    Thank you so much for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re in a tough spot and wanting to live with your grandparents instead of with your parents. While we are not a legal experts, we can provide you with some general information. In most states, 18 is the age of majority meaning at that time you legally become an adult. So, you can leave home without parental consent once you’re 18. If you leave before that, your parents would have the right to file a runaway report. If the police find you, they may return you home (unless there’s some abuse going on or other circumstances that they would need to investigate). However, some cases prove the exception. If you’re interested in developing a different plan or looking at other options, our hotline or chat services are always open. Our number is 1(800)786-2929, and our chat services are available on our website. We are 24/7 and confidential. We can also provide you with resources to best help with your specific situation.

NRS
                Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x
                Working...
                X