No announcement yet.

Moving out at 18 in NJ while still in high school

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moving out at 18 in NJ while still in high school

    I am currently 17, turning 18 in a few months. I am a senior in high school. Once I'm 18 I want to move away from my crazy abusive parents into the home of a very trusted friend. I know at 18 I'm allowed to move out without causing any legal trouble. My concern is school. I most definitely want to finish out my senior year and graduate (in the same school district. The friend I'm moving in with lives in the same town). Will the high school put up any sort of fight or trouble if I'm living away from my parents?

  • #2
    Hey there,

    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’ve been going through such a tough time, but we are here to support you and help you in any way we can. We want you to know that no one deserves to be abused, and you should not have to go through that. Despite the challenges you’ve been facing, it sounds like you have a positive support in your friend and that you have the goal of graduating high school.

    If you haven’t already, you could consider reporting the abuse you’ve been experiencing. If you want more information about abuse reporting or if you want to file a report, you could call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453 or you could call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online. We also want you to know that if you ever feel you are in danger, you could call 911 for immediate help.

    We’re not legal experts here at NRS, but generally, you should still be able to enroll in school without parental permission if you are 18. You could consider reaching out to a worker, teacher, counselor, or administrator at your school to ask about their policies and to get support. If you have difficulty enrolling in school, there is a law called the McKinney-Vento Act which ensures educational rights and protections for youth. If you want to get more information about this law you could check out the website at or call their helpline at 1-800-308-2145.

    There are also many resources that could help you work through conflict at home, get legal advice, find a safe place if you’re in need of that, or help you with anything else you may need. If you want to talk more about what’s been going on, or if you would like more information about resources, you can call us or chat with us online.

    Again, thank you or contacting us. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength by working through these challenges and reaching out for help. If you ever need anything in the future, please feel free to call us or chat with us online. We’re always here to listen and here to help.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      Have you moved in with your friend? Same happened with my uncle's son. He was no more interested in living with his parents and have decided to move out of the house as he turned 18. To avoid any legal complications he decided to consult a lawyer to clear all his doubts and confusions. He found these details by reading the top blogs and articles related to the people dealing with the similar issue. Hope you are enjoying your life!


      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp