Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 and wanting to run away to a different country

Im 16 and I can't deal with being where I am anymore...but I don't know if I can pack up and go to a different country. I do know where I'm going but I don't really know how to get there. I just need information because I want to leave as soon as possible...

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re having a hard time at home and you’re feeling like the only option is running away. We’re definitely here to help in any way we can.
    It’s great you’re wanting information before making the decision to run away. We’re not legal experts, but we can explain to you what we know about runaway laws. Sine you are under the age of 18, your parents have the right to do whatever they can to make you come back home if you decide to run away. They could go to the police and file a runaway report. If they have an idea where you went, the police could come, get you, and bring you back home.

If you still decide to run away, we want to make sure that you do so as safely as possible. This means knowing where you will go, how you will get there, and how you will survive once you arrive. It would also be helpful to have a backup plan in case your original plan does not work out. We do have a database of runaway/youth shelters. So if you need someplace safe to stay for a couple of nights, please don’t hesitate to contact us so we can look for a shelter in the area. As far as going to another country, a passport is usually needed for that, and you may be stopped because you’re a minor traveling without a guardian. Having a cell phone with you would also be good idea so you can make a phone call in case of an emergency.

We’re here for you, whether it’s talking more about what’s going on at home that’s making you want to run away or discussing other options you could try. We would love to talk to you and help out. It may be helpful to talk to any teachers or school counselors you’re close with about how you’ve been feeling. You can reach us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), we are a confidential 24/7 hotline.

Be safe, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

i am going to run away but i dont know where to go

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello there, thanks for reaching out. That sounds pretty scary to runaway without anywhere to go. Here at NRS, we are primarily concerned about your safety and want to help see you through this. You might try to solidify a plan and strategize around your safety before leaving.

If you call or chat us, we have a national database of youth runaway shelters and we can look to see if there are any shelters in your area. If you haven't already, you might try to ask friends and extended family if you can stay with them. There is also an organization you might be interested in contacting called National Safe Place nationalsafeplace.org. If you text the word “safe” and your current location (city/state/zip) to 69866, you will receive a message with the closest Safe Place site and phone number for the local youth agency.

Unfortunately we are only able to respond 3 times per person on our forum, so please call or chat us if you can so we can have a more fluid conversation. We really want to help you, and you so deserve to be supported.

Best,

NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X