No announcement yet.

Moving out five months before turning 18

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moving out five months before turning 18

    I will be 18 in a little over five months. I live in South Dakota where the laws can be tricky. I graduated highschool when I was 16. I work for one of the nations leading Hospitals and am waiting for exeptance into college. I have had a lot of interesting family problems but the main one being religon. My mother kicked me out when I was 15 but still tries to have full control over everything. My grandparents I live with now are crazy too. (Religon wise). I have been working towards moving in with my boyfriend. Who is on his feet and well off. Only problem is, he is 22. Which is okay for the state of South Dakota and the age of consent. But now my family is threatening to call the cops if I disobey their rule of being home every night and on time. I don’t like disrespecting my elders but it has come to the point where if it isn’t their way it is no way. All the stress they have caused over the years is now piling up and really taking its toll on me. I need to be freed from it but I don’t want my bf or I to go to jail for it. I know five months isn’t a long time. But it is a long time when your dealing with a family of narcissists. Can some please help me know if moving out without consent will land me in jail or brings my personal situation with a great job and continuing education would help put my case.

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thanks so much for reaching out. It takes a lot of bravery to come forward with issues that you’re having in your life, and we honor and respect the fact that you have. Hopefully, some of the information we give you will prove helpful.

    We are not legal experts, so any information about the law we give out is general information, and may not apply to the ways the laws are written and enforced where you live. When a youth runs away, their guardian can call the police and file a runaway report. That runaway report lets officers who come in contact with a youth that the youth has run away from home. It appears that police officers in South Dakota are able to take runaway youth into custody without a warrant. What police officers choose to do after that remains up to them, and we cannot speculate what they may or may not do. If you wish, you can find your local non-emergency police department and ask them anonymously and hypothetically what they might do in situations like yours. If you call us at 1-800-786-2929, we can also call the police on your behalf and ask them these sorts of questions for you. We also can try to get you in contact with legal aid resources that serve your area that might know more about runaway laws and options for youth in your situation if you call in.

    Best of luck,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp