No announcement yet.

14 and in Texas-moving in with another adult?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 14 and in Texas-moving in with another adult?

    I'm 14 years old and I'm a Texas resident, living with my emotionally and verbally abusive parents. We recently hit financial hardship which has made the abuse worse, and it's gotten to the point where i'm being gaslit and abused with other tactics every day by my dad, with my mom simply supporting him. I've discussed this with two teachers at school, who confirmed my suspicions that I'm being abused, and I've been told I need to get out of my current situation (leaving the house) as soon as possible. I basically have to act like the adult in my family, and whenever my parents abuse me/I confront them about it, they make things up and use fallacies and such, never truly addressing the issue at hand, and the mistreatment is rapidly worsening. I can go into details of them neglecting my mental health/telling me to kill myself/etc if it's important.

    I want to leave ASAP, but I don't know how that would work legally to secure my freedom. I have a place to stay and multiple people that will vouch for my being abused. How high is the chance of me having to go to court? Could my parents simply consent to me leaving and that be the end of it? Am I missing anything else?

  • #2
    i there,

    First of all, we would like to thank you so much for reaching out. We know this can be a hard first step to take, but it's very important, especially in a situaton like yours. We are so sorry to hear that you are being treated that way by your parents. They should not be doing that to you.

    We are not legal experts but will do our best to help you figure things out. If you want to discuss your situation in greater detail, you can always call our confidential hotline at 1-800-786-2929. We would never press you for the details of your home life, but we are here if you want to talk about them (just withhold your name and identifying information if you don't want us to file an abuse report, which is an option we can also discuss). The Child Help hotline is another resource for kids in your situation that could offer you support and answer the questions you have about custody. Their number is 1-800-422-4453. It sounds like you know what you need to do to protect yourself and have people in your life that care about you, which is great. With your parent's permission, it would be legal for you to move out of their home without many complicationa. Without your parent's permission, it would be much trickier. If they chose to, they could file a runaway report on you and put the people you are staying with at legal risk. In this situation, you might want to consider taking other measures like reporting the abuse.

    We hope this helps! Again, we thank you greatly for getting in touch with us. You are facing a tough situation, and we want to help out in any way we can. Feel free to give us a call at any time.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp