No announcement yet.

Moving in with my friends

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moving in with my friends

    My dad and I for the past 4 years have clashed repeatedly due to him not going back to Anger Management. I thought it was normal and it was all my fault...until he blew up in front of my friend and he told me that it was not normal for anyone to blow up the way he does. I have lived with my dad and my dad alone and have been used as his punching bag. Literally and figuratively. Living with my mom would be almost as bad. not all there and once attempted to choke me out when I was 12 years old. Not to mention the constant fighting based on different views of things going on in the world...however my friends family has agreed that if I can get it done legally I could live with them. Im 17 years old and live in New Mexico. My dad wont just sign a paper. Since it will affect his image in our small town community. How can I move in with my friends family legally?

  • #2
    Hello there, thanks so much for reaching out. Sounds like you have been through so much living with your dad between his anger issues and him treating you like a punching bag; and your mom choking you in the past. You do not deserve to be harmed in anyway.

    You do have the right to report the abuse to child protective services (CPS). If they find the abuse highly dangerous, they would remove you from your house. To learn more about what reporting could look like in your situation you might contact the expert child advocates at Child Help 1-800-422-4453. If you feel like you are in immediate danger please call from 911. You should be able to live your life free from violence.

    The easiest way you can leave home is with your guardian's permission. Your dad would not have to sign any forms to allow you to live with your friend. Unfortunately, he can go back on his word if he decided to retract his permission. Unfortunately, the legal age you can leave home in New Mexico is 18. If you leave home without permission, your dad could attempt to file a runaway report for you with local police. If you are found by police you typically would be returned home. If the people you are staying with are aware that you are a runaway and you are found with them by police, your dad might be able to press harboring a runaway charges against them. However, it would be hard for him to press those charges since it sounds like you are fleeing physical abuse. To learn what actions police might take if you do leave, you might contact your local police. Sometimes that have different protool for youth who are close to turning 18.

    Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you ever need. We can provide support and help try and brainstorm additional options for you. Here at NRS, we are primarily concerned about your safety and truly want to help.


    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove