No announcement yet.

I want to live with my dad but he's afraid to fight for custody

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I want to live with my dad but he's afraid to fight for custody

    I'm turning 17 in 15 days. I currently live in NY with my mom. I would like to live in Pennsylvania with my dad. I have severe social anxiety and have stopped going to school for almost 2 years. My mom has no job and lives off of government services which have stopped since I don't go to school. So there's no food in my house and my moms mostly gone all the time. There has been no efforts from my mom to get me homeschooled even when I said I think that would help. My mom has threatened me and said that I could never live with my father. My gf has been the one helping make sure I eat and bought me new shoes when mine had holes. I would just like to know my options. I believe that if I move to a more quiet and less populated area I would feel better. How can I help my father get custody of me? What else can I do if he refuses to help? Can I move in with my girlfriend? Can I move in with her family? Can I get emancipated?

  • #2
    We’re so sorry to hear that you are not being taken care of the way you should. We want you to know that since you are a minor you do have the right to an education as well as to proper nutrition and you mother not doing so is punishable by law. We want you to know that you have the right to report all of this with Child Protective Service 1-800-422-4453. Thankfully you have your girlfriend who has been helping taking care of you. Unfortunately since you are still a minor your mother would have custody over you unless your father went to court to get it back. If you would like we can connect you with some local legal representation that might be able to tell you about all of your rights as a neglected minor.
    We care about your safety so if you need to please contact 911. In the meantime we hope that you give us a call so we can talk about your options. 1-800-786-2929
    Best wishes,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove