•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod10
    replied
    Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS! It sounds like your boyfriend is going through a hard time, we appreciate you reaching out on behalf of him. Unfortunately, we cannot tell you what to do, since we’re non-directive. However we are here to help in any way we can.

While we are not legal experts, we do know a bit about the laws regarding it. Your boyfriend cannot be arrested for running away. It’s a “status offense”, his age is his status and that is a minor. If his mom made a runaway report with the police, and they come across him, he will be returned home. We have heard of adults (over the age of 1 who let runaways stay with them, being charged with “Harboring a Runaway” and it’s a misdemeanor. It’s a very hard charge to prove (which is why we seldom hear of people actually being charged for that). You mentioned that his mom had first kicked him out of the house. That is considered neglect, and your boyfriend can report it. If he has any text messages from his mom, about her kicking him out, that would be good to show the police if they do get involved. Since we’re not legal experts, we do offer to call out with youth to their local police station. We can facilitate the conversation and ask the police officers these questions and explain the situation. If you think your boyfriend would be open to that option, we are more than willing to help him with that.

Again, thank you for reaching out for your boyfriend. We appreciate the support that you’re giving him. Our safeline is open 24/7, please pass along our information to him.

Be well, NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Columbus Ohio

Columbus Ohio

17 year old boyfriend has ran away to my house. Says he was thrown out by his mom and told not to come back. He refuses to go home and tells me he can't go back there. His mother has her suspicions that he is staying with me. She has sent me messages asking where he is and threatening me with legal recourse if I don't give him up. What can happen to me if I don't turn him over, what are his options. He is also missing school and says he is going to do home school. I don't want to force him to go back and never see him again as he says. I also don't want any legal issues or problems though. What should I do?
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X