Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m 15 and want to live with my dad

My parents are going through a divorce and for now I’ll be staying with my mother. My dad is getting a house in two weeks and says he’ll come and get me as soon as he can. I don’t think I can wait that long. My mother has been neglecting me for the past week and there’s no food in the house. My sister picked me up a few days ago but my mother called the police and said I ran away. I just asked my mother if I could go to spend the weekend with my sister but she said no. I really want to get out of this house. I haven’t been eating like I should and it’s starting to affect my school work. I’ve talked to my school and there’s a dfcs case now. Is there any legal way for me to leave and not being classified as a runaway?

Hi, thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re glad you reached out for support today. It sounds like you’re feeling frustrated about not being able to move out of your mom’s house. You don’t deserve to be neglected or treated like that. Going to school on an empty stomach is definitely difficult.

We’re not legal experts, but generally, under normal circumstances, there isn’t a way to legally leave home as a minor without your parents’ permission. Depending on how the DCFS case goes, if the county determines that you’re being endangered, they may remove you from your mother’s home. You said you would want to stay with your sister. Like I said, we’re not legal experts, but if you are a runaway, anyone you stay with who knows you’re a runaway could risk being charged with harboring a runaway. One possible thing you may be able to do is reach out to your school social worker or counselor to ask about options. You can also call us at 1 (800) RUNAWAY for information on food pantries or soup kitchens in your area.

We are glad you reached out to us today. It takes strength to ask for help. You deserve to be in a supportive and caring home environment. If you’d like to discuss this in greater detail, fee free to call or chat with us. We’re here to listen, here to help.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X