No announcement yet.

17 years old, 3 month old daughter, living in Indiana

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 years old, 3 month old daughter, living in Indiana

    Hi, I am 17 and I have a beautiful three month old daughter. I would like to move in with my boyfriend (19) and his family (they want me to as well). I havee sole legal custody of my daughter. I think that it is in both mine and my childs best interest to leave. My dad makes me watch my brother and sister without pay. He is a very emotionally abusive person. I am not allowed to get a job, or get my permit. I really need to provide for my daughter. My mother does not have custody of me and I rarely see her. I am finishing high school online. My boyfriends family wants to help me get a car and a job, they want to help take care of my daughter because i have absolutely no help from my parents.
    I am very exhausted, emotionally, from dealing with things that I shouldn't have to deal with. I want to provide for my daughter, and i don't want to have to rely on anyone.
    What would happen if I just left with my daughter and moved all of our things into my boyfriend and his parents house?
    What can i do to leave?
    Please help I am at my wits end and I dont know what to do anymore!

  • #2
    RE: 17 years old, 3 month old daughter, living in Indiana

    Hello and thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you’re going through a difficult situation at home with your dad, but were glad you reached out to us. Its shows a lot of courage for you to contact us on behalf of you and your daughter and know that were here to help. It’s nice that you have support from your boyfriend and his family, and they are willing to help you take care of your daughter. We are not legal experts but generally speaking if you were to leave home your dad can file what’s called a runaway report with the police. Although your age falls within a grey area because your 17, the police may or may not pursue the runaway report. Running away is only considered a status offense, but anyone you’re caught staying with can be charged with harboring a runaway.

    No one deserves to be emotionally abused and you have options. You can contact Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 and they can be used as an information and referral line and also may be able to give you legal advice as well. You can also contact Planned Parenthood at 1-800-230-7526. Have you considered talking with another friend, family member or someone at school about your situation at home? You also have the option to contact us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we are here 24/7 and everything we discuss is confidential. We also have a live chat Monday-Sunday from 4:30 p.m.-11:30 p.m. CST if you’re not comfortable reaching out to us by phone. Again thank you for reaching out to us and we wish you and your daughter the best of luck.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif