Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im 16 and i want to live somewhere else.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im turning 16 in a week i dont want to live with my mom i dont want her to have custody but i dont want to get emancipation because i think it will be hard for me . My mom has been messing with me for 6 years now with moving having kids and boyfriends and she is really bipolar i know that i cant just diagnose someone with that but i feel that she is and she is very explosive and always thinks she’s correct. I dont have a father in my life but my family has been close to this person who is like a father to me and has been in my life since i was born and i want to live with him hes not blood related but has been in the family for more than 20 years . I’ve been to therapy for 2 years from 12 -14 and i have been going to therapy again its been 6 months now and i told her everything she wants to work things out with my mom first instead of putting out an emotional abuse report i dont want to live with my mom and i dont know what to do can somebody please help me .

Comment

• ccsmod12
      ccsmod12 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, and thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It takes a lot of courage.

You mentioned experiencing emotional abuse which may be reportable against your mother and that your therapist wants to try to work it out before filing a report. Please know that you have a right to report abuse. You by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Emotional abuse is sometimes harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process.

If you feel like reporting is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. Child Help USA (1-800-422-4453) is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

You also mentioned that your mom may be bipolar. Another resource that might be of help is the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). Their website is https://www.nami.org/. They are a resource specifically for family members of people who have mental illness.

It sounds like you are also wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom’s permission. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, emancipation, which it sounds like you’ve looked into and have found may not be a good fit. We would be happy, though, if you decide to look into it further, to provide legal resources.

If you'd like to talk in more detail about your situation or have any questions please call 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us (www.1800RUNAWAY.org). We’re here to listen and here to help in whatever way we can. We hope to hear from you soon. Best, NRS

i need help please

Comment

• ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there -

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. It can be very frustrating not knowing what to do or what your next step might be from this point on. It sounds like you might some specific questions that you want to ask us or maybe find a place to vent about what you are feeling right now. It’s hard to talk to just anyone one about what has been going on. Please rest assured that we are completing confidential. So anything that you share with us will stay between us. We don’t ask for any identifying information, unless you want to report any abuse.

We certainly want to help you. You can reach out to us via phone or chat, we are here 24 hours a day.

Hope to hear from you soon!
      Last edited by ccsmod8; 07-10-2019, 07:30 AM.

hey i am 15 going to be 16 20.07 im originally from jamaica but I've been living in germany for the last1 year and 7 months im in a gymnasium I've worked so hard to get here an to learn german my dad dose not wants me to have friends i can't even go to school without him getting angry yesterday he hit me my step mom was here and she say he told me to pack my things because he is sending me back to jamaica i don't want to go back i have no future there please please help me im sacred i know people who would take me in here but he say no he wants me to suffer yesterday i took so many pills because of how disrespectful he was to me he called me a hore he told me im not his child etc.... please help me he told me he booked a flight for the 4/5 of august its july now pleaseeeeeee

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. Your situation with your dad seems immensely painful and difficult. It sounds like he is being unfair and unnecessarily hurtful towards you and that is not okay. Unfortunately, we are a service whose resources and information are centered around the United States, so we would not be familiar with the kind of support you might have access to in Germany. There is a youth crisis hotline in Germany, though and they may be able to help you. You can reach them at: https://www.nummergegenkummer.de/.

Thank you and best of luck,
      NRS

I'm 13 and I want to live somewhere else.

Although I might be young, I hate my life with Mom and dad, they are broken up, but the problem is I've been going through a crazy situation, my dad said he would change for me and I believe he has but somehtings stopping me from going back and at my mom's I feel safe but I'm still in this uncomfortable situation and I just need to get away, my dad wants to go back to week on and week off with my parents but I don't want to live with him, and I have to him before, even after he has fixed himself, I just don't want to, I had so much stress with the week on and week off thing, I don't want to go back to that, I currently was spending most of the time with my mom bc my dad was fixing himself, but I'm thinking about my mom's house and they have been very supportive with everything, but it feels toxic, I either need to live with my mom fully or live somewhere else, to just have a normal life. I have taken signs of depression and havePTSD but not been diagnosed.
    I need to live somewhere or atleast a place to get away just for me to recover from this stress and craziness with my parents

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parent’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

So I’ve been living with my mom for 16 years now but I’m tired of being the one she lashed out on when something goes wrong and I have 3 younger siblings so I’m basically a built in babysitter and house cleaner while she’s goes and ********s her baby daddy’s

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe,
      NRS

Im 16 and I dont feel safe at home...and where I thought it'll be okay to go, I don’t want to be there anymore either.

I love my mother. Shes the most beautiful and the most strongest person. But she is letting what all that happened in the past come back. She’s already in pain by all the she went through as a child but when she met my dad and all that happened between them, sealed the deal. It is honestly a lot to even go through but I have realized that my mom has been manipulating me for the past few years. I haven’t seen this until I told my father’s fiancé. She and my mother has gone through similar things in their childhood but it’s funny how one won’t even bother to be friendly. But mainly at this point, its gotten to where;

My mother won’t let me do ANYTHING until I turn 18 (meaning I can’t do whatever I would like outside of the house)

I can’t see my father anymore.

I can’t speak to my father anymore.

I don’t want to be stuck here. And I wanted to go live with my dad but after the clash that has happened, I feel I wouldn’t like there as much as I thought I would. But it still seems to be place with the safest mindset. All I want to be free away from all the adults around me at the moment and just have time to myself. I want to be with my own age group. My boyfriend, my best friend...

My best friend has offered me to stay with her for the time being. Should I go? I want to be with my boyfriend as well but he’s not doing to well either. He’s been around long enough to understand and physically witness what I’m going through. He was in the same situation with his mother and he left her for his own safety. Tho he’s 18, he hasn't got the best luck so I can’t bother him. I don’t know what to do.

My mother is just now telling me I need to decide what I’m going to do...because she’s done with me and everything I bring.

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do as we cannot tell you what to do, it is your choice to make. At the beginning of your post you said that you don't feel safe at home - if you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home and your mom does not give you prior approval, she can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned home. Additionally, if you go to staywith someone without your mom's permission, the adult in the household could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and how your mom views the situation.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X