No announcement yet.

Been away from parents for 5 months, need help figuring things out.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Been away from parents for 5 months, need help figuring things out.

    Hello! I am a 17 year old college student living in California. When I graduated high school in May, my parents kicked me out of their house, leaving me with nothing. I luckily had a very close friend who attended my graduation and they brought me back to my home town (300 miles away) and I've moved in with them. I managed to enroll in college, and obtain a copy of my birth certificate. From here, I don't know what I can do. I do not have a copy of my social security card or any DMV approved proof of address documents so I cannot get a california state ID. I do not have any insurance for my health whatsoever. My only income is from freelance work I am doing online, and getting paid through PayPal. I cannot contact my parents at all, nor do I want to. But as of yet, with contacting local authorities for help, I've been told my only options are to contact my parents (which I can't) or just wait until I turn 18. That is looking like the only option I really have, though I'd love if you could give me any info that will help until then. My 18th birthday is in March of next year, and it seems SO far away. I don't know what I can do for the time being. Any help, advice, or resources you can point me to are so very appreciated.Thank you!

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really tough time, but you’ve shown so much strength by working through your challenges, enrolling in school, and taking steps to do what’s best for you. It sounds like you have some positive supports in your life to help you get through too. We’re also here to help you and support you in any way we can.

    We also want you to know that because you are under the age of 19 in the state of California, your parents are not legally allowed to kick you out of their home. This would be considered neglect. If you haven’t already, you could consider filing an abuse report. If you would like help filing a report or if you’d like more information you could call us at NRS or you could call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453 ( We have legal aid resources you could use to get information about the law. There are also resources that could help you find a job, help you work through family conflict, or help you with anything else you may need. If you would like more information about resources or if you’d like to talk more about what’s been going on, you can call us 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online.

    Again, thank you for contacting us. It sounds like you’ve been going through a hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength. If you ever need anything in the future, please feel free to call us or chat with us online. We’re always here to listen and here to help.

    Be safe, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp