No announcement yet.

run away being harbored (Indiana)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• run away being harbored (Indiana)

Anyone know if there can be any charges filed against someone who is harboring a runaway? Apparently police can't do much and all the parents want is to get her back and out of the state. They know where she is staying and with who since they are class mates.

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. We appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation. We’re here to help in any way we can!

When youth runaway (under 1 parents make runaway reports with the police. As far as we know, running away is not something you can be arrested for. However, parents can bring adults that let runaways stay with them to court for a charge called Harboring a Runaway. It’s usually a misdemeanor charge and police usually don’t press that charge unless the parents of the runaway ask them to. It’s also a hard charge to prove that someone knew that the youth staying with them is a runaway unless there’s physical proof (like texts, evidence harder than hearsay). We’re not legal experts, so we always offer to call out to the local police with the youth to find out exactly what they would do.

If you have more questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Our safeline is open 24/7 and we have a chatting system via our website (that service is not open 24/7).

Best, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hello my 16 year ungrateful son has everything he's ever wanted a phone a car mom and dad's support on his baseball career bailing him out of trouble,this week he went too a hang out and got caught drinking underage so mom and dad bailed him out at one in the morning,even tho he wasn't charged we took away phone and car witch set him off. Last night I gave him some rope I said son take your car too work and straight home,well I went too his work and he wasn't their I called him and said get home and told him your going too act like your 8 I will treat you like your eight,so he ran off and is staying with a buddy we don't know what buddy. Do I have too report this or just have him sit at his buddies without phone money or clothes? Cause he wont come home

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there, this sounds like a challenging situation, thank you for contacting us.

You as a parent are required to file a runaway report with the police if your son has left home without your permission. If you do not, you can be charged with neglect, especially if your son is left without food or clothes. However, if you give him specific permission to stay at a friend’s, you are not required to file a runaway report. If a report is filed and your son is picked up by the police, they will take him back home. There is no minimum amount of time your son must be gone for the police to file a runaway report for him.

It sounds like things with your son have gotten stressful recently. Some people find it helpful to see a family or individual therapist in these situations. If you are interested in trying this, you can give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), and we can connect you to an affordable therapist in your area.

Thanks again for reaching out, we hope this information is helpful for you. Best of luck to you.

I live in Indiana I have a God son that is stuck in a 2 bedroom house with what ur says is 9 other people and they emotionally abuse him and call him names and neglect giving him time to do school work he has 2 f's and a d I want to help him raise those grades he wants to stay with me he is 15 bout to be 16 and does not feel safe there and is battling with going back to cutting because he is depressed and his mother doesn't listen that he doesn't feel safe how do I find a way to let him come stay with me

Comment

• ccsmod5
        ccsmod5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi,
        Thank you for your post and thank you for trying to advocate for your godson; he is lucky to have someone like you in his corner. No one deserves to be abused in any way and we’re glad that you are trying to look into options for him. You did mention some concerning things about your godson’s mental health, namely the depression and self-injury. It’s not clear from your message the extent of these issues, but if you believe that he may be in danger of seriously harming himself, it could be a good idea to make sure he has the number to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline programmed into his phone or written on a card in his pocket: 1-800-273-8255. You also mention that there is emotional abuse and neglect. Any person has the right to report abuse or suspected abuse of a child; if you’re interested in doing so, you can call the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453.
        Now coming to your question regarding your godson coming to stay with you. While we aren’t legal experts, we can give you some general information about options. Legally speaking, the only way that he can live with you right away is with permission from his legal guardians. If you have a relationship with your godson’s parents, you might consider reaching out to them to ask about having him stay at your place for a while. It’s also possible that you could file for custody of him, however it does not seem like a strong possibility that custody would be awarded to you on account of the issues you mention. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is not often recognized as a reason to remove children from the home. That being said, we are not legal experts so if you would like to look into that option it could be a good idea to get in touch with a lawyer. If your godson chooses to stay with you without permission, his family would have the right to file a runaway report and if the police are able to find him they may return him home. As an adult, you could be charged with harboring a runaway (typically considered a misdemeanor). We do want to point out that this is not a charge we hear about often, particularly if there is abuse at home.
        Thank you again for your message. If you have any further questions or would like to speak more specifically about the situation, feel free to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929.

Sincerely,
        NRS

I live in indiana. I ran away like 8 months aggo and i only have a few till in 18. Can the people im staying with be charged after i turn 18?

Comment

• ccsmod9
        ccsmod9 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
        While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
        We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
        If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
        Be safe,
        NRS

My friend was being approached by her moms boyfriend. Dcfs was called but she was returned home. Her mother didnt believe her and verbally abused her. She ran away and has been staying with my family. She wants to try and live with her dad but is scared to contact him because she might be sent back hometo her mother. She is 16 and wonders can she come out of hiding and live with her dad without being sent back home to her mother

Comment

• ccsmod1
        ccsmod1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share what's going on. It seems like your friend is in a complicated situation since she is looking to have her dad take custody of her. This may be something that she and her father can talk to DCFS or to a local legal aid office about how to proceed. She can also call out to your local nonemergency police line (usually you can just dial out to 311) to see if they would make her return home if she were to go to her fathers.

You stated that her mom's boyfriend approached her causing DCFS to get involved - it sounds like your friend may have been sexually assaulted. It can be really hard to deal with this alone and sometimes it’s helpful to reach out to additional agencies for support. One really great resource for all survivors of sexual assault or abuse is RAINN (Rape Abuse Incest National Network). She can call them any time 24/7 at 1-800-656-4673, or go to www.rainn.org to use their online hotline. RAINN is the National Sexual Assault Hotline and has a lot of services, support, and resources that she may find helpful.

If you or your friend would like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.
        All the best,
        NRS

I ran away because me and my mom just can never get along she abuses me mentally/emotionally and I just have to take it because I'm a boys i left but she just reported it. if i turn myself in do the police have to take me back home?

Comment

• ccsmod9
        ccsmod9 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
        While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
        We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
        If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
        Be safe,
        NRS

I am 17 and I want to runaway because my mom physical, mentally, and emotionally abuses me if I just left and stayed with people who I trust and I'm safe with till I'm 18 is their anything my mom can do about it that will make me go back home or am I stuck in this situation till I am 18

Comment

• ccsmod9
        ccsmod9 commented
        Editing a comment
        one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
        Be safe,
        NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X