No announcement yet.

Age 17 California running away to Oregon

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Age 17 California running away to Oregon

    i can't live with my parents anymore I have my reasons I'm 17 (May) I was wondering if I can move to Oregon with my friend I currently live in California will the cops even care since I ran away so far from home

  • #2
    Thank you for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like you want to leave home and move to Oregon with a friend. In California and Oregon, 19 is the age in which you can legally move out without your parent’s consent. Running away is not illegal and you cannot get arrested, but if you parents file a runaway report and the police find you they may return you home. One thing that you should keep in mind is that your friend may get in trouble for harboring a runaway if the police find you. Some states do not actively search for runaways that are 17. You could contact your local police station and ask if they take runaway reports on 17 year olds. If you do not feel comfortable calling the police, we could call with you. If you are interested in a conference call with us and your local police, please feel free to call our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929).
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      Thanks what if i run to my grandmas house. My parents know i want to ho there i already been liveing with my girlfriend and her family for a year. We broke up a month ago i got kicked out of school. I need a new start and if i dint go ill just be a bumb in our small town. I need to get out of here


      • ccsmod10
        ccsmod10 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi again,

        The runaway laws would be the same if you ran away to your grandmothers. While we’re not law experts, we can try to find one in your area, there may be legal ways for you to be able to move in with your grandmother. We’re here to try to brainstorm options with you.
        We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center, or use our chatting services via our website. Unfortunately, we’re only able to respond back and forth a couple of times through our forum, so the best way to talk with us would be to chat or call.

        Be safe, NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp