I Have A Friend Who Is Ready To Adopt Me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Have A Friend Who Is Ready To Adopt Me

I'm in a bad situation. Right now, my mom is killing me with her negativity. She isn't physically, but verbally/mentally abusive.
    She will continuously tell me how much she hates me, how she wishes I would die, leave or kill myself. She's always cussing and yelling to the point where I just want to isolate myself to stay out of the firing line.
    It's come to the point where I am ready to put myself in prison if it means getting away from how awful she is. The only person in that house keeping me sane is my big sister, but she's not fit to take care of me.

I have a really good friend right now whose mom has been wanting to take me in for a while. She's a single mom with a son, but she's more than financially stable and has a pretty good thing going for her.
    I've been telling them about what's been happening at home, and she told me to make recordings of the abuse on my phone.
    I've been doing so, and she's decided to create a plan for me to stay with her. She says that I will use the tapes as blackmail.
    If my parents try get to me again or do anything to me she'll turn the tapes in to the police.
    But if they let me stay with her for a while until things settle down, she won't give them the tapes, and everyone can live peacefully.
    My parents are enraged at the fact that she is being a better parent than they are to me and they've threatened to call the police on her for kidnapping.
    If she gives them the tapes, the police question me about the situation and I come clean and tell them about the abuse, is there a chance that I can stay with her?
    Can my mom get in trouble for that kind of abuse and I'll be able to live with someone else?

I know you guys say you aren't legal experts, but this lady is literally ready to take me in.
    She has a room for me, we talk everyday, she has set up therapy for me that my parents wouldn't give me.
    She is even ready to file for adoption.

She says she was in a situation similar to mine when she was a kid, and she doesn't want to see anything bad happen to me, that's why she is being so kind.

I'm just afraid that the law will get in the way and I'll be stuck in this terrible house when there's a savior right in my backyard waiting to help me, y'know?

What exactly do the police need to find in order for me to be able to live with her?
    Are the abuse tapes enough?
    Is such a thing possible?

Hi, thanks for reaching out! It sounds like you are in a really bad living situation with your mom right now. She sounds like she is verbally and emotionally abusive and that is never okay! You do not deserve that at all! We are here to help!
    We are so glad to hear your friend has been so supportive right now. Because we do not know your age, that makes it a little tough to talk about legality. Generally speaking, 18 is the age where someone is considered an adult. If you leave home without parent’s permission before that age, your parents could contact the police to file a runaway report. If your mom does file a report and the police find you, they may try to return you back home. However, if you disclose the abuse to the police, they will likely get child protective services involved to keep you safe. It may be possible that CPS could work with your friend as an alternate living arrangement. Having the tapes will definitely be helpful if you do pursue reporting this abuse to the police or child protective services. That is something we can definitely help with too! We can make an abuse report for on your behalf or conference call with you and be an advocate on the phone with you through the reporting process if you want to go that route. If you would like to do either of those things, give us a call at 1-800-786-2929. We are here 24/7 to answer the phone!
    Your safety is our number one priority! It sounds like living with your friend is a safe environment and we are glad you have her support. We also realize that emotional abuse can be a lot to handle, especially when your mom has told you to take your own life. If thoughts like that ever cross your mind, you are not alone at all! It can be scary to feel depressed or suicidal. There is help for you! The national suicide prevention lifeline is available 24/7 via phone and live chat on their website: 1-800-273-8255 suicidepreventionlifeline.org. Another potentially helpful resource is Child Help: 1-800-422-4453 childhelp.org. That is the national child abuse hotline. They can help you make an abuse report or transfer custody to a safe adult (potentially the friend you mentioned).
    We wish you the very best of luck in all of this! You do not deserve to be abused the way your mother is abusing you. We believe you and we support you. Please reach out via our website or phone call anytime!
    1-800-786-2929 1800runaway.org
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X