No announcement yet.

16 and I want to go back to my dad

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16 and I want to go back to my dad

    I'm almost 17 and I came to visit my mom for 3 months then go home to my dad, but she won't let me leave. She let me Missouri with my dad and left with my little sister to be with a guy. My birthday is in a few days and I want to be with my dad for it. My mom is always yelling at me to clean when I stopped because I dont like here. I'm in Utah. If I runaway from my mom to get back to my dad what could happen to me?

  • #2
    Reply: 16 and I want to go back to my dad

    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

    In most states 18 years old is the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. A person under the age of 18 leaving home without permission, a parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city.

    This may differ if your situation is that of a custody issue, if that is the case you might consider speaking with your father about what if any legal steps he might be thinking about to have you back with him.

    NRS is here to listen and here to help.
    If you would like to speak more about your situation please contact us.
    To contact NRS call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or live chat with us at

    Take care,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp