No announcement yet.

Legal advices please

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Legal advices please

    I am 17 years old and a upcoming senior in school this upcoming fall of 2017. I currently go to school in Philadelphia, and my legal guardian is my Grandma. However, i've made many mistakes and she wants me to move up to my Dad's where he lives out of state and i don't think she's going to change her mind. My mom is not in the picture.
    I really want to complete my final year at high school, but if my grandma does kick me out my dad will have custody of me again but he isnt a resident in Philadelphia and theres no other family where i can go.
    My friend's family is kind enough to offer me a place to stay with them, but again my dad is worried about legal work.
    Is there any legal actions we can do to make this possible for me to stay with my friends family? I cant live in NY again i was so miserable I cried everyday and barely ate. Please help.

  • #2
    Hello there, thank you for reaching out.

    Sounds like your grandma is making you go back to your dad’s; which would force you to move back to NY and not let you complete school where you are. That sounds so frustrating, and here at NRS we really want to help you during this difficult time.

    That is great that your friend’s family would let you stay with them. We are not legal experts, but we can speak generally. You can live anywhere that your dad gives you permission to stay. So it would be completely legal for you to live with them as long as he is okay with it. He might need to give them temporary guardianship to help you enroll in school. That is something that would not take his custody rights away from him, and is typically done by filling out a temporary guardianship form and getting it notarized. You might put him in touch with your friend’s parents so they can talk more about this option.

    If for some reason, living with your friend is not an option. Please do not hesitate to call or chat us sp we can try to brainstorm additional options for you. You so deserve to be supported through this.

    Best of luck,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      thank you so much, i truly appreciate this so much. you guys are wonderful thank you.


      • ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        You are so welcome! Please call or chat us if you ever have more questions or if you ever need some support.

    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp