•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod4
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like life at home has you feeling sad and depressed. We’re glad you found the strength to contact NRS.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent/guardian permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, they may file you as a runaway and if picked up by the police you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, contact the local non-emergency number to the police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more about your situation and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi
    I was planning to run away from home and live with my friend far away from home because for all the things that make me it make me feel sad and depressed and not being happy about my parents being so forceful and strict about me. But when I ran away from home and if the polices find me can they not force me to live with them back because I been so many tough times I just want to me happy with my life .
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 10-22-2020, 01:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that your mental health at home is not good and you want to leave.

While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is not illegal to run away. Your parent/guardian could file a runaway report on you but this would NOT mean that you would get arrested or charged with anything. It typically does mean that the police could return you home if they encountered you and that would be that. Some police can be more understanding about what is going on at your home. In our experience, police will oftentimes return the youth back to their guardian almost no matter what. Police typically do not actively search for a runaway youth. However, they will go where the parent/guardian directs them if they know where you are staying. Additionally, police can sometimes be more lenient about runaway situations the closer you are to 18. You can attempt to calmly, respectfully, and persistently deny them consent to touch you or take you anywhere, and they may give up on trying to return you home. They also may not, in which case you should comply with what they tell you to do for your safety.

That being said, it is our understanding that at 18 you do have the right to live where you want to regardless of what your parents approve of. In terms of getting to Georgia, it might be a good idea to see if you can save up money to get a bus ticket to go and maybe to see if your girlfriend or anyone else might be able to help you with that. You could also try to find some odd jobs like babysitting or mowing lawns in order to try and get the money to leave.

If you want to talk more about what is going on and what options you might have, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, i am 17 year old/ female and turn 18 in a one year later. i born in Mexico, raised in Texas. i don't have a u.s citizenship and ssn,ssi, and birth certificate so i want to live with my girlfriend in Georgia , she's 19 .i live in Texas and can i across state without Mexico password,everything. it is hard for me to find ways to leave Texas , i've been so depressed lately and want to leave the home . My mom didn't approved that i can leave at 18 i don't know what to do with that..

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. It's great to hear that your grandma is so supportive of you and can offer you a safe place to stay. Once you are 18 you can legally live where you wish, regardless of your school enrollment status. If you are interested in continuing on your education you may want to speak with the administrative office at your school about transferring credits or switching to remote learning.

It sounds like the last 4 years have been exhausting and it must be overwhelming to constantly be at odds. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your family so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Guest replied
    I am currently 17 years old and live with my mom, step dad and they're kids. I moved in with them when i was 13 and these have been the worst years. I am turning 18 in March. I have told them both that right when i am 18 i am moving back in with my grandparents. My step dad insists that i can't move out at 18 because i'll still be in school and is claiming that i'm staying with them. I've explained to him that i would be 18 so legally neither of them could do anything and i have already figured out the school situation. i just don't want them giving me a hard time when i do leave or him being arrogant with my grandparents. I live in Indiana and believe i can leave at 18

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hey there,
    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway safeline it seems like you are in a frustrating situation and are looking for ways around your parent’s permission to get married since they aren’t willing to consent to it.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    Going to Scotland to try and get married there may be a way around the consent clause of marriage, but you will probably need to be very sure of the process in Scotland to be sure that the marriage would be valid in the United States still. If you were to leave for Scotland with your boyfriend you would probably risk kidnapping charges for him, and possibly statutory rape if authorities had reason to believe you had sex with him.
    The easiest way to leave home is with your parents’ permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello I am 16 year old and my boyfriend is 23 years old and we are from Syracuse we love each other so much and want to get marry but my family will never agree about that so can we run away at Scotland and marry there than come back at Syracuse?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Hi,
    Thanks for reaching out; we are glad that you did. It sounds like your girlfriend is going through a really hard time at home right now. We hope that she would reach out to us by phone or by chat to talk with us about her situation because she doesn’t deserve to be attacked. She is lucky to have you as a supporter and a good friend.
    From the title of the post, if you girlfriend wants to leave at age 18, that might be legal. To find out, google “Age of Majority” and your state’s name. If the age of majority is 18, she can leave without fear of anyone calling police.
    She can reach us by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or via live chat through www.1800runaway.org We hope to hear from her soon.

Guest replied
    Hi, I'm 15 years old and so is my girlfriend.
    My girlfriend us planning to run away from
    Her parents because they're strict and they
    Attack her but she doesn't want to call the
    Police because she's scared if her dad.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hey there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on with your mom. Once you turn 18, you will be able to legally decide where you live. If you want to move to Texas to stay with your girlfriend and her mom, you can definitely do that the moment you turn 18. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe, NRS

Guest replied
    hello, im 15 years old, im a female. i live in a very toxic/abusive household, where my mother is misusing my SSI benefits. she doesnt know that i know but my sisters have explained to me, i need to know how i can take ahold of my SSI when im 18 and social security card/ birth certificate. i also plan to run away and live with my girlfriend (who lives in Texas,1,038.1 miles from where i am) when i turn 18 since she and her mom offered to help me get a job and a safe home, ive been with her for over a year now and i trust her. my girlfriend even offered to send money for bus tickets when the time comes. but im afraid of the consequences, its hard for me to stay here. i suffer from mental illness, and more- i have been bullied all my life. ive been hospitalized due to suicide attempts. my parents dont believe that theyre a part of the problem.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to share your situation with us here at NRS. It sounds like your family has been very controlling and it is becoming too stressful to stay at home. You would know better than anyone when leaving is the best decision for you. The good news is that the age of majority in most states is 18 which means you are most likely considered a legal adult. Being a legal adult also means you have the legal freedom to choose where you live. Most likely it would not be considered running away if you leave and the police would not intervene. There would not be a risk of charges for anyone because you would simply be making a decision to move out as an adult.

Now there are a few states where the age of majority is older than 18 in which case you could still be considered a runaway at 18. The age of majority in Mississippi is 21, in Alabama and Nebraska it is 19. If you do live in one of these states your parents could attempt to report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal but it is a status offense. This means your parents can ask police to return you home if they know where you are staying. It would be helpful to contact the non-emergency line for your local police department to speak with an officer. You can ask if they would take a runaway report for someone your age and if anyone you stay with could be at risk of harboring charges.

We hope this information helps. If you would like to talk more about your situation or you are in need of any resources, please do not hesitate to reach out again. We are available 24/7 for immediate support at 1-800-786-2929 or through live chat at 1800runaway.org.

Stay safe and good luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    hi, i am a 18 year old girl (19 on october 10th) i wanted to runaway for a very long time now beacuse of the current situation in my house. i can’t contain the sadness anymore and they won’t let me go out. i am so sick and tired of this. but my boyfriend’s mom wanted me to stay with her so she could help me heal. my question is will she get arrested for letting me stay with her because i’ve run away? or will she get charges for it? thank you for the answer!

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X