No announcement yet.

Girlfriend wants to run away from home at age 18

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I am currently 17 years old and live with my mom, step dad and they're kids. I moved in with them when i was 13 and these have been the worst years. I am turning 18 in March. I have told them both that right when i am 18 i am moving back in with my grandparents. My step dad insists that i can't move out at 18 because i'll still be in school and is claiming that i'm staying with them. I've explained to him that i would be 18 so legally neither of them could do anything and i have already figured out the school situation. i just don't want them giving me a hard time when i do leave or him being arrogant with my grandparents. I live in Indiana and believe i can leave at 18


    • ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

      Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. It's great to hear that your grandma is so supportive of you and can offer you a safe place to stay. Once you are 18 you can legally live where you wish, regardless of your school enrollment status. If you are interested in continuing on your education you may want to speak with the administrative office at your school about transferring credits or switching to remote learning.

      It sounds like the last 4 years have been exhausting and it must be overwhelming to constantly be at odds. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your family so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

      If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

      Stay safe,

      We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey:

  • #17
    Hi, i am 17 year old/ female and turn 18 in a one year later. i born in Mexico, raised in Texas. i don't have a u.s citizenship and ssn,ssi, and birth certificate so i want to live with my girlfriend in Georgia , she's 19 .i live in Texas and can i across state without Mexico password,everything. it is hard for me to find ways to leave Texas , i've been so depressed lately and want to leave the home . My mom didn't approved that i can leave at 18 i don't know what to do with that..


    • ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that your mental health at home is not good and you want to leave.

      While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is not illegal to run away. Your parent/guardian could file a runaway report on you but this would NOT mean that you would get arrested or charged with anything. It typically does mean that the police could return you home if they encountered you and that would be that. Some police can be more understanding about what is going on at your home. In our experience, police will oftentimes return the youth back to their guardian almost no matter what. Police typically do not actively search for a runaway youth. However, they will go where the parent/guardian directs them if they know where you are staying. Additionally, police can sometimes be more lenient about runaway situations the closer you are to 18. You can attempt to calmly, respectfully, and persistently deny them consent to touch you or take you anywhere, and they may give up on trying to return you home. They also may not, in which case you should comply with what they tell you to do for your safety.

      That being said, it is our understanding that at 18 you do have the right to live where you want to regardless of what your parents approve of. In terms of getting to Georgia, it might be a good idea to see if you can save up money to get a bus ticket to go and maybe to see if your girlfriend or anyone else might be able to help you with that. You could also try to find some odd jobs like babysitting or mowing lawns in order to try and get the money to leave.

      If you want to talk more about what is going on and what options you might have, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at

      Take care,

  • #18
    I was planning to run away from home and live with my friend far away from home because for all the things that make me it make me feel sad and depressed and not being happy about my parents being so forceful and strict about me. But when I ran away from home and if the polices find me can they not force me to live with them back because I been so many tough times I just want to me happy with my life .
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 10-22-2020, 01:24 AM.


    • ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

      We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like life at home has you feeling sad and depressed. We’re glad you found the strength to contact NRS.

      We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent/guardian permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, they may file you as a runaway and if picked up by the police you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, contact the local non-emergency number to the police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

      We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more about your situation and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).

      Take care,

  • #19
    Hi, I’m 21 can I run away from home because they ain’t letting me be with the guy I want! We both work


    • ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live.  We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living if you aren't wanting to move in with the man you mentioned. We are here to listen and help however we can.

  • #20
    I am 18 and still in school. I came to live with my boyfriend’s mom. Will I be forced to go back home?


    • ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like you’re worried about having to go back home. While we’re not legal experts, in almost all U.S. states, you are legally considered an adult when you turn 18. That means that you do not need your parents’ permission to leave home and can choose where to live, so you could not be legally forced to go live at home.

      Without knowing more about your situation, the most important thing is that you feel safe where you are. It can also be a good idea to have a “backup plan” just in case things don’t work out and you need somewhere else to stay. At NRS, we can help you find resources, like shelters in your area, if you ever need it.

      You are welcome to call us 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 to talk more about your situation or explore other options.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif