No announcement yet.

Wyoming Runaway

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wyoming Runaway

    Im 16, going to turn 17 in two months. My parents are threatening to call the police and tell them I'm a runaway teen every time I go to my boyfriend's house, simply because they don't like him. I want to know if I am still considered a runaway if I'm 17. I've read different websites and some say kids are runaways until they're adults but some say until they are 17 years old.

  • #2
    Hey there,
    Thanks for reaching out to NRS! It sounds like your parents are making your life difficult lately with your relationship. It’s understandable why you’d want to runaway. The age of majority in Montana is 18 years old, which means that’s when you’re considered an adult. Running away itself is not something that youth can be arrested for. However, we have seen people who let youth stay with them while on the run are charged with “harboring a runaway”. Sometimes, police won’t take runaway reports on 17 year olds, especially when they’re close to turning 18. We are not legal experts so we always offer to call out to local police with youth to ask them their protocols.
    We’re here to help in any way we can! If you’re interested in the services that was mentioned, our safeline is open 24/7. We also have a chatting service via our website. You’re never alone in this.
    Be well, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      I know you can't get emancipated until 17 in Wyoming but is it possible at 16? I'll do everything in my power to get emancipated at 16


      • ccsmod5
        ccsmod5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,
        Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are glad that you are reaching out for help. It sounds like you are going through an extremely difficult time right now with life at home and are considering emancipation so you no longer have to stay there but that this is proving to be a challenge with the age restriction.

        As you likely know, emancipation makes a minor youth a legal adult before they reach the legal adult age (this varies from state to state). While we are not legal experts here at NRS, it is important that we inform you that emancipation can be a costly and lengthy process. In addition, to become emancipated in most states (not all states offer emancipation), a youth must be able to prove in court that s/he can take care of her/ himself financially, s/he have a place to live and are mature enough to care for her/himself.

        In any case, since we not legal experts, we recommend you reach out to the National Center for Youth Law Agency at (510) 835-8098 or to receive more definitive legal advice when it comes to achieving emancipation before a state’s designated age minimum. Another resource to try is the Youth Law Center at (800) 728-1172 or .

        We are here as support to help through this challenging time. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button). We are happy to call out to these agencies with you would like, as well. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

        Be safe,
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp