Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about moving out

Hi I'm 17 - my birthday is in almost 5 months from now. I live in CT. Honestly I have a feeling the only way I can leave legally is when I turn 18, which is when I plan to take all my crap and never see the people I live with again; or through emancipation, which won't work for me.
    I recently got a job after filing numerous applications back near the end of June when school ended hoping I'll make enough in time to move out and move in with somebody I know.
    I'm not interested in going into a whole lot of detail about my situation but I really am about to consider running away again because I'm just so aggravated with whats goingg on.

If anything I'd like some support or having someone be able to answer this question: Will there be any issues if I move out the day I turn 18?

Hello there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like you are pretty fed up with what is going on in your life right now. It is totally understandable that you do not want to go into a lot of detail with your situation. Please know that we are here 24/7 by phone if you do ever need support or someone to talk to, and we always are here if you ever need.

To answer your question, no, you will not have legal issues if you leave home the day you are 18. In Connecticut, the majority age or age you become a legal adult is 18. So once you are 18, you can make your own life decisions without the consent of your parent or guardian. They cannot legally force you to stay home once you are 18, and they would not be able to file you as a runaway.

If for some reason something changes and you have to leave before you are 18, please do not hesitate to call or chat if you would like help brainstorming your options.

Best of luck to you,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X