No announcement yet.

helping a friend

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ccsmod6
    Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes a lot of courage to speak up and help someone else and we are glad to see that you are taking those steps.
    It sounds like your friend is a going through a really hard time and wants to leave home. If it’s an option for her she could consider calling the Child Help Hotline at 1-800-422-4453 who might help her provide information on filing an abuse report. Filing an abuse report is a process and generally emotional abuse can be hard to prove in the court. If she is being physically abused having picture of any marks or injuries can be helpful. While, we are not legal experts just speaking in general terms, if she is to leave home without her parents’ permission and a police report is filed then the police can bring her back home and whoever she is staying with could get in trouble with the law. Sharing this with someone else can be helpful in many situations including other family members or friends. If your friend may like she could call the LGBT National Hotline at 1-888-843-4564 as well for further support. We could be reached 24x7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) or on our live chat from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST.
    You are doing a great job by trying to help your friend. We wish you and your friend the best and hope to hear from you soon.


    Leave a comment:

  • Guest
    Guest started a topic helping a friend

    helping a friend

    this situation does not involve me. i have a friend and she does not live in the best house. her mother abuses her, and i don't know the details. all i know is she is treated horrible, i don't know if it involves physical abuse, but she is emotionally abused by her mother, mostly for being gay. my other friend and her family are very close to her, and know about the situation. that have told her that if she ever needs a place to stay for however long to get away from her household their doors are open. however, my friends mother most likely won't let her leave, and i'm guessing would get the police involved if she tried to leave. how would she legally be allowed to go live with her friend without getting social services involved?
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp