No announcement yet.

Can a 15 year old get a one way plane ticket?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can a 15 year old get a one way plane ticket?

    Hi, my name is ******.

    I am a Minnesota resident currently set to runaway. This I've been planning for nearly six months. However, there are two vital parts of my plan that require answers that I can't find anywhere else.

    I have decided to bike the five hours to the nearest airport, and take a plane to my Portland, Oregon destination. I have the money, I simply need to know if a 15 year old teen can buy a plane ticket without parental concent, and what airline might provide this.

    My second issue is, I have a genetic condition known as ARPKD - can I continue to receive my medication once I am in Portland?

    Thank you!
    Last edited by ccsmod9; 08-06-2017, 12:50 AM.

  • #2
    Thank you very much for contacting us! We’re here to listen and here to help. It sounds like you have been thinking long and hard about leaving and you have a plan. What is going on at home that is causing you to want to leave?

    As you may know, running away is a status offense. This means that it is illegal to leave without your parents’ permission. They can file a runaway report with the local police, alerting other officers nationwide that you are on the run. Likewise, those who help you can be charged with harboring a runaway.

    You have some really good questions that you have asked. Here are two articles detailing policies about minors on flights. They talk about how minors can typically not have to be accompanied once they are over 12. It also talks about how ticket purchase are possible, but mentions that a youth must provide their parent-guardian contact information. Aside from reading these two articles, one great way to find this information out is to choose an airline of your choice and call to ask questions. I have also included a snapshot of Southwest Airline’s policies too.

    Whether you're flying to visit family or to tour the college of your dreams, it's natural to worry that you'll be unable to purchase a plane ticket if you're under the age of 18. Fortunately, no federal age requirement exists for purchasing airfare -- though regulations vary from one airline to ...

    Purchasing the right ticket for a minor makes the difference between a problematic and smooth flight experience. Airlines offer various services for minors.

    Children traveling alone between ages 12 and 17 are considered young travelers. Access the Southwest Terms and Conditions for Young Travelers.

    You asked a great question about whether you could be treated with ARPKD due to your age. Again, a great way to get this question answered is to call a low income clinic near where you are trying to fly to and then ask them about their policies. A general google search reveals that there are rules when it comes to treating minors, and one of them requires consent of parents or guardians if that minor is below the age of majority.

    You have a lot to think about, as you continue to consider whether running away is the best answer to your problems. We would love to discuss your situation more and provide you with individualized support. We invite you to chat with us or call us.


    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      If i am traveling internationally, will i be required to give an ID, a duration of stay and parental consent if I am a minor? (Under 18 above 15)


      • ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,

        We are not legal experts. This is a question that may be better answered by airport personnel or airport security. There may also be answers for such questions on government websites, depending on where you are traveling. Hope this was helpful.

        Stay safe,

    • #4
      Hi I'm from nz I'm 15 and I wanted to know wether I could enter a plane internationally without being caught and wether I could book a ticket without parental consent or wether I could forge it


      • ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment

        Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are looking to travel internationally, and have questions about whether this is possible without consent of your parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts, and unfortunately, because laws can vary by state, country, and possibly by airport or airline, your best option would be to reach out or look into the laws specific to your area. If this is not possible, your next option may be to reach out to the airline that you intend to use for travel, as they will likely be familiar with the rules for unaccompanied minors travelling internationally.

        If you are in search of support, another option is to reach out to an agency familiar with your area and the resources that may be available to you. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.
        We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

        Stay safe,

    • #5
      i hate it here i just want to leave i have a boyfriend but he is in new jersey and im in texas i cant be here anymore i just wanna be with him but however im 15 and i dont know how i will be able to get there please give me your advise im trapped i cant go anywhere and every since covid happend im not able to go to school im doing online i cant spend another second here i just wanna leave if not ill kill myself i cant do this
      please help


      • ccsmod8
        ccsmod8 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello there –

        Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline on our public forum. Hopefully by giving you support during your crisis, there are others that are reading this thread that can feel comfortable reaching out as well. We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. Now we aren't legal experts here and you might have already read on this forum thread about what could happen if you were to leave home before the age of majority. So we won’t get into that since you can find it fairly easily.

        Our main concern is going to be your safety. Taking about killing and our harming oneself isn't something that should be taken lightly. If you do feel like this isn’t something that you can control and you thoughts do shift towards harming yourself, please reach out to someone that can help you through those times. You shouldn't be afraid to tell other people what you are thinking about doing especially if you are thinking about hurting yourself. You are certainly not alone in this and there are many many people that are here to help you. Depending on where you are located in India, there are several suicide hotlines that you can possibly get into touch with. You can find some of the numbers to call on this website ( Please to be afraid to reach out for help and be who are you.

        If you need a place to vent about what you are feeling right now, you can always call us. It’s hard to talk to just anyone one about what has been going on. Please reach out via phone or even our online chat for more help.

        We hope to hear from you so that we can help you further.

    • #6
      I am 13 right now. I have a 15 year old boyfriend, he lives in Wisconsin and I am moving to Texas. I wanted to run away from my family, my mom has BPD and she mentaly abuses us and my dad doesn't care about my family. I have other reason(good reasons) but I'd rather not list them. I I going to Texas in jan 2022 maybe and wanted to run away on August 2022. I want to get a plane ticket to Green Bay, WI. That is were my bf lives. I have looked for apartments and everything I'd need to survive alone. I have $200 or something like that in my bank account. I need to get $800 for a plane ticket there and the apartment is $640 - $735 /mo. I need 2,000 dollars for food and the things I listed above. I have been thinking about running away since February 2021.


      • ccsmod13
        ccsmod13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi, thank you for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like you have a lot going on at home, and you are strong for reaching out to talk about it.

        You always deserve to be treated with respect. The way that your mother is treating you is not your fault, and you are brave for continuing to look out for your own wellbeing. One option that you have available to you to is to report what your mother has been doing. Childhelp is an organization that helps youth that are experiencing abuse. They can help you file a report if you are interested, or just provide you with support. You can reach them through their hotline (800) 422-4453 or on their website

        We aren’t legal experts, but we do know that there are likely age restrictions for renting apartments and for being able to fly alone. You would have to look more specifically at the airlines you are interested in and the laws for the area you are considering an apartment. One thing to keep in mind if you are considering an apartment in the future is that you will need to have income to be able to pay the rent each month you are living there. You mentioned you are aware that you are currently too young to get a job at most places. Different states have different work laws, so that could be something you could investigate for more information. It’s important for you to consider what items you will need if you choose to leave home, such as a form of identification, clothes, and money.

        Another option you have available to you is to reach out to a trusted adult to talk about how you are feeling about moving away. This could be a teacher, a coach, a religious leader, or a family member. They may be able to provide you with more support regarding what you are going through.

        If you would like to talk in more detail about your situation and think through options that you have, feel free to reach out to us by calling our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or through our online chatrooms on our website. We are available 24/7 to provide you with support.

        Stay safe!

    • #7
      Hi I'm a 15 year old boy who is trying to get away from my verbally abusive parents who hate me and say they can't wait for me to move out and say how they hope I don't come back and how they never want to see me again and how I was a mistake. so I'm going to make their dreams come true and I'm going to go live in California with my friend who is a young youtuber. I need help getting money to either fly or get a bus ticket I'm even alright with trying to riding a bike or fixing my dirt bike and getting the wagon to pull my stuff. but I'm looking for apartments in los Angeles so I'm not living on the streets and I'm looking for a job. pls help me. my friend can't send me money because I don't have a bank account and I don't have a phone because my dad smashed it because I was talking to my friend at 9:30 pm while we were studying for a test.


      • ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment

        You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

        If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

        Please be safe and reach out soon by phone or chat so that we may help.
        Take care,
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp