Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a 15 year old runaway attend school?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a 15 year old runaway attend school?

Hi,

I'm a 15 year old girl, currently residing in Pennsylvania.

I've been here almost two weeks, and as my camp has become more permanent, more teens are asking me if I'm a runaway. I have developed friendships with some, one girl having a long, fresh cut on her chest from where her father attempted to stab her. These teens hang out with me after school, to stay away from their parents as much as possible. I have already left home, and I've had a plan, but now it crosses my mind that I might need to support somebody else one day - so I was wondering if I could get into school.

School hasn't started yet - I still have time to register - however I don't have a gaurdian to sign me up. Is there any place I can go, in or around Pennsylvania, that will allow me to finish highschool? College will come later, but I'll have a highschool degree to (hopefully) get a job with.

Thank you for any advice.
    Last edited by ccsmod7; 08-04-2017, 10:06 PM.

Hello there, thank you so much for reaching out to us.

We are sorry that the situation at home became such that you had to leave. We are impressed that you have been able to create a somewhat stable environment for yourself.

The laws vary from state to state for what is required to enroll in school. We are not legal experts here but you may want to try visiting this website: https://nche.ed.gov/states/state_resources.php. Hopefully, you can find information that can help you out there. If you click on the state you are in, you can get the contact information for your state’s homeless youth education liaison to help you enroll in school.

We are glad that you reached out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help and you are trying to figure out your options which is really good to see. If you would like to talk with us further about your situation please do not hesitate to call or chat with us.

We’re here to listen, here to help.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X