No announcement yet.

Im a 17 year old run away

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Im a 17 year old run away

    Ive ran from multiple foster homes and my sister told me when my foster mom filed the report as a run away the cop said when i get found i can be in foster care until im 25. If i stay a run away until after i turn 18 can they put me back into foster care?

  • #2

    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

    We are not legal experts thus cannot confirm the information you were told about being placed in foster care until you are 25.
    Situations concerning this matter can differ from state to state.
    To get the exact information you might consider speaking with your case manager.
    NRS has conference calling services to parents or guardians, you are welcome to call us during the day to use this service to contact your case manager or child protective services.
    Perhaps this would be a way to get information and help clear things up for you.

    Contact NRS at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929)

    We hope to hear from you soon.

    Take care,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      im 17yo, can i leave my house and move in with my boyfriend in an apartment. we both have jobs and are financially stable. Could my mom make me come back home?


      • ccsmod1
        ccsmod1 commented
        Editing a comment

        Thanks for reaching out to us for help. Sounds like you are hoping to move in with your boyfriend. That is a big step! We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your mom may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. If your boyfriend is over 18, he could get into legal trouble. If he is under 18, the two of you will probably not be able to get an apartment on your own, since you have to be at least 18 to sign a lease. You might need a parent's permission or for someone to co-sign. Moving in with a boyfriend can be very exciting, but it can also put a lot of strain on a relationship, especially if the risk of criminal charges and police involvement is hanging over your head. A good way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. You can also call us any time to talk about your situation and we can talk through all your options and help you make a plan to deal with your situation and stay safe. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp