17, Utah, wanting to move into a friends place

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17, Utah, wanting to move into a friends place

I'm 17 and live in Layton utah. It no lie that I have strict parents. All my friends parents to my couches and teachers know. I have a friend that has opened his house to me and has job opportunities as well for me.... I don't hate my parents just i am being held back essential adult skills cause my parents would rather have me sit in my room all day.. if I choose to just walk out and live with my friend, my parents will call the cops and I don't wanna be home or be in trouble with the law. Please help!

Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us tonight. It sounds like you're in a pretty difficult situation right now! From hat you've told us it seems like you don't dislike your parents, you just want to move forward with your life and do things that they do not really let you do. We can let you know a little bit about runaway laws and hopefully that'll be able to help you out a little bit.

Normally when you leave home before the age of 18 you would be considered a runaway. Running away is not illegal but it is considered a status offense. What this means is that you won't be arrested for running away, but your parents could file a runaway report for you with the police and the police would be looking for you. If the police found you they would take you back home. It would not go on your permanent record and you would not get arrested. If you stay at your friend's house there is a chance their parent could get into trouble for what's called harboring a runaway, but your parents would have to actually want to take them to court in order to make that happen, the police would not just show up to your friend's house and arrest them there.

You did mention that you were 17, so it's important to note that sometimes some police departments do not take runaway reports for 17 year olds. This differs from police department to police department though, so you may have to call your local police department and see what exactly they would do in your situation. If they do not take runaway reports for 17 year olds you can leave without your parents' permission without police involvment.

If you want to talk more about what you're going through please don't hesitate to reach out to us again! You can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are 24/7 so someone will always be here to answer and help you out in the best way we can.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hi, I know someone who is moving Utah from Texas and he will be 17 in a couples months which he plans to leave a couple months after turning 17 to come back to Texas. I just wanted to know if he would get in any trouble for doing that or not, since he’d be coming back to Texas, he as been told by our school principal & officers that he can move out at 17 so would he get in trouble in utah or Texas for coming back to Texas to his life here?

Comment

• ccsmod1
        ccsmod1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us and sharing a little bit about what's going on. Since your friend is under the age of 18 he is considered a minor and his parents could file a runaway report if he were to leave without their permission. Running away is a status offense - which means that it isn't illegal but something that can't be done while still a minor (like smoking, gambling, etc.). We aren't legal experts here at NRS but if he were located by the authorities, he would most likely be brought back home to his parents. It is worth mentioning that any adult who houses your friend does run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Harboring penalties can vary greatly from state to state and even city to city.

If he does opt to leave home or finds himself to be homeless he still has the right to your education under what’s called the McKinney-Vento act. To find out more about how to take advantage of the McKinney-Vento act we suggest that he contact the school directly. Of course, it might be worthwhile to have your friend contact us directly to discuss what's going on/ He can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us by clicking on the "CHAT" button at the top of our homepage.

All the best,
        NRS

Hi, I know someone who is moving Utah from Texas and he will be 17 in a couples months which he plans to leave a couple months after turning 17 to come back to Texas. I just wanted to know if he would get in any trouble for doing that or not, since he’d be coming back to Texas, he as been told by our school principal & officers that he can move out at 17 so would he get in trouble in utah or Texas for coming back to Texas to his life here? Also, when he comes back to Texas he will be moving in with his sister.

Comment

• ccsmod1
        ccsmod1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us and sharing a little bit about what's going on. Since your friend is under the age of 18 he is considered a minor and his parents could file a runaway report if he were to leave without their permission. Running away is a status offense - which means that it isn't illegal but something that can't be done while still a minor (like smoking, gambling, etc.). We aren't legal experts here at NRS but if he were located by the authorities, he would most likely be brought back home to his parents. It is worth mentioning that any adult who houses your friend does run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Harboring penalties can vary greatly from state to state and even city to city. It may be beneficial to reach out to the local nonemergency police lines in both areas (you can usually just dial 311) to get a gauge on police response and policy.

If you or your friend like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We can also be reached via chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support in any way we can.

All the best,
        NRS

I am 17 and I live in Utah my parents aren't getting along what so ever and they want me to quit my job, which is my favorite thing on the plant, and take away my phone and basically just sit at home all day. If I go to live with a friend or an adult that is not my parents so I can keep my job what kind of trouble can I get into? Can the person I'm staying with get into trouble?

Comment

• ccsmod13
        ccsmod13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS. We are sorry to hear your parents are not getting along and they are making living at home with them difficult. It is really responsible to reach out for help and get information before making a decision.

We are not legal experts, but we can share some general information. If you leave home without permission, your parents would have the right to file a runaway report. Running away is not illegal, but if your parents know where you are then they can have police return you home. Depending on the situation your parents could choose to file harboring a runaway charges against the people that you stay with. The way police handle runaway reports can differ by state and department. Sometimes police officers do not pursue runaway reports or force youth back home if they are somewhere safe and close to turning 18. You can call the non-emergency number for your local police department to ask anonymously how they would handle a runaway report for someone in your circumstances.
        We can help you have a conversation with your parents about being able to keep your job if you would like. We can facilitate a conference call and be on the line to advocate for your needs and make sure you feel heard.

Please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-786-2929 or chat at 1800runaway.org if you would like to talk more about what is going on or explore options.

Take Care,
        NRS

My daughter has a 16 year old who wants to leave home and come live with us and we would love to have her live with us. Her parents are divorced and she lives with her dad and stepmom however her mom has full custody. If we have permission from her mom can she live with us without being charged for harboring a run away,?

Comment

• ccsmod9
        ccsmod9 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello and thank you for contacting us today. It’s great that you guys are willing to take in your granddaughter. First of all we are not legal experts but if your daughter has full custody it should not be issue. However, you might want to check into the particulars of the custody arrangements in case there is something about leaving the state or something like that. Something to look into is getting something in writing from your daughter saying it is okay for your granddaughter to come live with you guys. Also, talking to her father and letting him know that she coming to stay with you might lessen the worry that she is just leaving.
        If you have any other questions you can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) 24 hours a day to discuss your specific situation in more detail and explore some options you might have. Also, we are available through our live chat from 4:30-11:30pm CST. Thanks again for reaching out to us. We hope to hear from you soon.

Hi, 16 and im about to turn 17 in june i live in salt lake city utah i want to leave my parents house becuase my mom always blames me for things that happen in the house and also calls me names and I'm just tired of it and have a friend who's mom said it was okay for me to stay with them if I wanted to leave my house i was planning on leaving them a note with information about where I will be at and why im leaving but I'm not sure if my friends mom will get in trouble with police or if I will get in trouble with police

Comment

• ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello There,
        Thank you for reaching The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a lot right now, and you do not deserve to be called names. If you feel like this is emotional abuse, you can make a report by calling Child Help at: 1800-422-4453.
        We are not legal experts but we do have some information on what could possibly happen. Because you are considered a minor if you left without permission your legal guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. Running away is not illegal, but if the police do find you they most likely would bring you back home. Also whoever you were to stay with could potentially get in trouble for harboring a runaway. Usually that would be a fine they would need to pay or it could be a misdemeanor.
        We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to see if there are any other options or resources, please chat with us or give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
        NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X