Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Hi, I know someone who is moving Utah from Texas and he will be 17 in a couples months which he plans to leave a couple months after turning 17 to come back to Texas. I just wanted to know if he would get in any trouble for doing that or not, since he’d be coming back to Texas, he as been told by our school principal & officers that he can move out at 17 so would he get in trouble in utah or Texas for coming back to Texas to his life here? Also, when he comes back to Texas he will be moving in with his sister.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us and sharing a little bit about what's going on. Since your friend is under the age of 18 he is considered a minor and his parents could file a runaway report if he were to leave without their permission. Running away is a status offense - which means that it isn't illegal but something that can't be done while still a minor (like smoking, gambling, etc.). We aren't legal experts here at NRS but if he were located by the authorities, he would most likely be brought back home to his parents. It is worth mentioning that any adult who houses your friend does run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Harboring penalties can vary greatly from state to state and even city to city.

If he does opt to leave home or finds himself to be homeless he still has the right to your education under what’s called the McKinney-Vento act. To find out more about how to take advantage of the McKinney-Vento act we suggest that he contact the school directly. Of course, it might be worthwhile to have your friend contact us directly to discuss what's going on/ He can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us by clicking on the "CHAT" button at the top of our homepage.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I know someone who is moving Utah from Texas and he will be 17 in a couples months which he plans to leave a couple months after turning 17 to come back to Texas. I just wanted to know if he would get in any trouble for doing that or not, since he’d be coming back to Texas, he as been told by our school principal & officers that he can move out at 17 so would he get in trouble in utah or Texas for coming back to Texas to his life here?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    replied
    Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us tonight. It sounds like you're in a pretty difficult situation right now! From hat you've told us it seems like you don't dislike your parents, you just want to move forward with your life and do things that they do not really let you do. We can let you know a little bit about runaway laws and hopefully that'll be able to help you out a little bit.

Normally when you leave home before the age of 18 you would be considered a runaway. Running away is not illegal but it is considered a status offense. What this means is that you won't be arrested for running away, but your parents could file a runaway report for you with the police and the police would be looking for you. If the police found you they would take you back home. It would not go on your permanent record and you would not get arrested. If you stay at your friend's house there is a chance their parent could get into trouble for what's called harboring a runaway, but your parents would have to actually want to take them to court in order to make that happen, the police would not just show up to your friend's house and arrest them there.

You did mention that you were 17, so it's important to note that sometimes some police departments do not take runaway reports for 17 year olds. This differs from police department to police department though, so you may have to call your local police department and see what exactly they would do in your situation. If they do not take runaway reports for 17 year olds you can leave without your parents' permission without police involvment.

If you want to talk more about what you're going through please don't hesitate to reach out to us again! You can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are 24/7 so someone will always be here to answer and help you out in the best way we can.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic 17, Utah, wanting to move into a friends place

17, Utah, wanting to move into a friends place

I'm 17 and live in Layton utah. It no lie that I have strict parents. All my friends parents to my couches and teachers know. I have a friend that has opened his house to me and has job opportunities as well for me.... I don't hate my parents just i am being held back essential adult skills cause my parents would rather have me sit in my room all day.. if I choose to just walk out and live with my friend, my parents will call the cops and I don't wanna be home or be in trouble with the law. Please help!
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X