No announcement yet.

17yr old moving out in Oklahoma

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Reply: Hello, I am 17 I turn 18

    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

    We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like there has been some big differences between you and your mother over what sounds like her abusive behavior. We understand the difficulty of your situation and how frustrating it has become for you.
    You don’t deserve to be treated badly and it is certainly not your fault that this is happening. Sometimes things become overwhelming and due to the stress it might become difficult to cope or know where to turn for help. Things may feel bleak right now but you did well reaching out today. It sounds like you have been very responsible in your school work to which you should feel proud of. Let us know how we might help.

    NRS is here to listen and here to help. Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. If you would like to speak more about your situation and explore options, please contact us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or

    You did a good job reaching out today. We hope that things change for the better.

    Take care,

    We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #47
      so im 17 and live in oklahoma and i dont get along with my parents me and my girlfriend are planning on moving in with her mom in joplin. what would happen there


      • ccsmod10
        ccsmod10 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things at home has you thinking about running away. We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for “harboring a minor” if your parents file a report and if your girlfriend’s family doesn’t cooperate with the police. Some police departments don’t accept runaway reports for 17 year olds, but the policies may vary by each department. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

        If you don’t feel safe and feel like you need to get away provides a safe location for you to meet a staff member who can take you to a designated place where you can discuss all options about how to stay safe. You can text 44357 the word “safe,” and your location to find a safe location in your area. Once you arrive let someone who works there know you need help connecting with a staff member.

        One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have a conversation with your parents but you would not be alone. For example, it may be hard for you to explain to your family why you want to go live with your girlfriend. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you. If you want to reach us, you can chat with us anytime at or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7, and we are ready to listen and help however we can.

        Wish you the best

    • #48
      I am 17 years old. I live in Oklahoma. My dad is emotionally abusive to me. My mom refuses to help me get away from him. I am afraid one day he might physically abuse me when he finally loses his mind. I am thinking about attempting suicide so I can finally get some help but I would rather run away ASAP before I do that.


      • ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello There,
        Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. We are sorry you are dealing with all of this. Any type of abuse is not acceptable and it must be difficult to deal with. If you wish to make an abuse report you can call the Child Help Line at: 1800-422-4453. We know that sometimes making an abuse report can be scary if you would like our help please give us a call. Also at any time you can always call the police.
        You mentioned thoughts of attempting suicide and running away. We want you to know that you are valuable and you are worth living. There is always someone willing to listen and provide support. You can always call The National Suicide Prevention Hotline at: 1800-273-8255. You can always call us as well and we would be happy to provide support and listen. You also mentioned running away, we are not legal experts but we do have general information on the laws. If you were to run away your legal guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police found you and thought it was safe for you to return home they most likely would bring you home. Another option you may consider is talking to your school counselor about what is going on. Sometimes talking to a professional can help us feel better, Also trying out a hobby you enjoy may also make your situation a little bit better.
        We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore your options more please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck!

    • #49
      So I’m 17 years old and my mom kicked me out , if she files me as a runaway what will happen if they catch me ?


      • ccsmod11
        ccsmod11 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi, and thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out. We are sorry to hear that your mom kicked you out and then might turn around and try to file you as a runaway? No one deserves to be treated like that.

        If your mom files you as a runaway and the police locate you, they will likely either tell you to return home or they may take you there. It is not illegal to run away. Running away (having a runaway report on file) is considered a status offense, so not a misdemeanor or felony or anything that would go on your record.

        If you'd like to talk in more detail about your situation or have any questions please call 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us ( as we can best help by phone or chat. Best, NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove