X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod7
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today.

You do have the right to give him permission to live away from home, especially with him being so close to 18. You would still be his legal guardian until he turns 18. If you are worried about being liable for him, you can also give a legal adult temporary guardianship of him; which looks like having a temporary guardianship agreement signed by both parties and notarized. You also have the right to report him as a runaway if he leaves without permission. It is hard to say if police would actively respond to it due to his age, but it is a possibility that he could be returned home once reported. Reporting him as a runaway if he leaves without permission would also make you not liable for his actions while away.

We hope this information was helpful. Please call 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us if you would like to talk in detail about your situation. We are here for youth and their families alike!

Best,

NRS

Guest replied
    My son wants to leave home at age 17 and 3 months? Will I be held liable if he leaves home? He wants to move out of state and in with a girlfriend. He doesn't turn 18 until August 2018. We live in Oklahoma.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi Cameron,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We are glad to hear that you have made plans for your future. Having a structured plan of how you want things to go when you move out can be beneficial for success.
    It is great that you would like to move out in February but one thing that you might want to keep in mind is the age of majority in your state. We know that you mentioned that you are going to wait until you have graduated from high school but in some states that might not be enough. In most states the age of majority is 18. We are not legal experts nor are we affiliated with the police so we can only speak generally about what could happen if a youth leaves home without the consent of a guardian. Leaving home without parental consent (running away) is not a crime, so the police will not arrest you. If you do leave home without permission your guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. Running away is not a crime it is a status offence (something that only a minor can get in trouble for: truancy, buying cigarettes, etc.) this means that if you have any interaction with the police they will simply return you home. On the other hand the people that you are found to be staying with could face legal consequences that vary depending on your state. You can find out more about how runaway’s reports are carried out by contacting your local police department. If you would like we could contact your local non-emergency number for you or with you. Just give us a call and one of our trained liners would be happy to assist you.
    Additionally, since you mentioned that are having a hard time finding a roommate it could be helpful to put a post on your social media accounts or using a local newspaper or community board. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 17 and I want to move out in February, I have a job but I get paid minimum wage, I am planning on saving up til then. I should also be finish with school by then. I am going to move in with someone, my parents are somewhat okay with it. The thing is I have personally been through some things and i still need help finding an apartment

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Thank you reaching out us here at NRS! We understand you must be going through a difficult time and that you have chosen to reach out us is a big thing. Our hope is to provide you with the tools necessary to make the best decision that is best for you.
    Though we are not legal experts from what we can gather about your story is that your family has been really hard on you. We are very sorry to hear that. As far as the situation you find yourself in, because you are so close to 18 your family can call DHS but because you would be so close to 18. A good tip perhaps is to start saving that way when you turn 18 you and your boyfriend could afford to move into an apartment. There are many sites you can use in order to find housing options. A google search would definitely help get you started in the right direction. Know that once you are 18 you are an adult and therefore no one can make choices for you any longer.
    Again we want to commend you for seeking help and contacting us here at NRS. We know it takes a lot to be seeking us out. Our hope is that we have given you enough tips and resources to help you in your current situation. If for any reason you have questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us at (1-800-786-2929) or online through our chat option at (www.1800runaway.org)
    Best Wishes-NRS

Guest replied
    I will be turning 17 in 2 months and my guardian ( aka grandmother) is kicking me out soon and the rest of my family said I wasn’t allowed at their home. But they said if I wasn’t emancipated that they would call DHS and I’m not sure what to do. I have a steady job and I’m applying for another tomorrow. But if I did leave on my birthday would I be able to get an apartment with my boyfriend?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safe line. It sounds like you are very concerned for your step daughter and her plans to move out on her 18th birthday. We want you to know that we are here to offer whatever support we can.

We are not legal experts however, in your state an individual is no longer considered a minor at age 18. It is true that when she turns 18 years old she does have the liberty to make that decision. However you may want to consider asking some safety questions such as, “Where will you go if you move out”, “How will you keep yourself safe,” “How do you plan to provide for yourself?” Another option to possibly consider is maybe do a bit of negotiating with your step daughter. You could possibly discuss with your daughter what she feels would need to happen or change for her to agree to stick around a little bit longer and see how you and your husband feel about it. Also, please feel free to hand over our hotline number to your step daughter and we’ll be more than glad to speak with her at any time in regards to anything she would like to speak about.

Again, we are very happy that you reached out to us. Seeking out for help is such a courageous thing to do and it appears you are trying to figure out your best options and that is certainly a great thing to hear. If you would like to talk further, please do not hesitate to reach out to us whether through call, chat, or email. We are here to help 24-7, 7 days a week.

Guest replied
    My step daughter is 17 and will be 18 in janJanu. She's with her boyfriend everyday and says because she doesnt have her own room but I know that's not it it's because she loves been with him. We let her because we don't want her to feel like we are controlling her. Her dad is sad she's moving out but I tell him let her go. We got custody of her and her brother about 2 years ago because there mom was very verable to them and the lived in a shed. Says she has nothing here because she doesn't have a room. She be moving out in January when she's 18 and says we can't stop here. Qhat to do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hello there, thanks for reaching out with this question.

We are not legal experts but we can speak generally. Legally, you do have the right to give your son permission to live with his friend or in a safe place. Generally, you are still legally responsible for him until he turns 18. If there is a legal adult in his friend's house, you can give that adult temporary guardianship of him until he is 18 if he needs assistance enrolling in school or gaining things like healthcare.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you have more questions or need support. We are here to listen, here to help.

Best,

NRS

Guest replied
    My son is almost 17 he is wanting to move in with a friend. Am I still legally responsible for him until he is 18?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hello there, thanks for reaching out out today.

Unfortunately, 18 is the general age youth can leave home without the permission of their guardian, but it does depend on state laws and local police protocol. The easiest way she can move in is with permission from her legal guardian. To be more certain of 17 year old runaway protocol in your area, you might reach out to your local police department's non-emergency number and ask hypothetical questions about how they would respond to a 17 year old pregnant youth leaving home.

We hope this information is helpful. Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you have additional questions or need resources. You might also try to give your son's girlfriend our number if she is in need of any support or resources. We are here 24/7 to listen and help.

Best,

NRS

Guest replied
    Can my 18 year olds sons girlfriend move in if she's 17 and pregnant

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand that it takes courage to seek help. We are very sorry to hear that you are being abused at home. Abuse is never okay, and you don't deserve to be treated that way. If you feel as though you are in immediate danger, we encourage you to contact 911. You have the right to report the abuse. You could contact CPS and let them know how your mom has been treating you and how your living conditions are at home. Child Help (1-800-422-4453) is a great resource to explore your options and get information on how to transfer custody. It sounds like you are thinking about living with your boyfriend. Since you are a minor, if you leave home without your mom's consent she has the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they may return you home. Running away isn't against the law but if you were to stay with your boyfriend, he could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. You could try asking your mom if she would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend. Another option that you may want to consider is looking into emancipation laws for your state. We hope that this information helps, if you have any questions please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

Guest replied
    Hi, I am a 16 year old girl who lives in Texas. I am trying to find a way to leave my house. My mother is a hispanic single mother with barely any job and i'm the only one in the house for the whole day. I barely survive on 1 meal a day because she can’t afford food, but that’s not the problem... The problem is that when we run out of food and she has money, she just yells at me and says to go starve. I've been getting verbally,mentally, and physically abused and I can't take it anymore. I suffer with severe anxiety and depression, and it makes everything much worse. I also have a medical condition called Hinman syndrome which means I can’t tell when I have to go to the bathroom, but my mom won’t let me go to the bathroom at all. She yells at me because I have to go to the bathroom and says it’ll be a waste of time. I’ve managed my syndrome in school and it’s all under control. My mom won’t let me get a job because she thinks I can’t manage one and my condition will get in the way, even though it could help with our financial problems. I have a boyfriend and we‘ve know each other for a really long time. He is deciding to let me live with his family. I just don't want it to be considered a run away. I just want to leave home for a better place. I want to have 3 meals a day and have a job somewhere. I want to graduate high school, go to college, and live a prosperous life where I won’t get yelled at for everything I do.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: I’m 16 I turn 17 in January

Hi,
    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you are in a tough situation and may be looking for some options to help cope with everything.
    We understand how difficult it must have been to speak about what’s been going on and how it is making you feel.
    You are very brave for doing so. Good for you. Sometimes communication breaks down as it sounds like it has between your mother and yourself.
    When this happens it might be helpful to consider seeking outside help from a counselor or mediator.
    That being said. NRS would like you to know we are here to support you at this difficult time.

Let us know how we might help, please contact us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) orwww.1800Runaway.org (live chat).

NRS is here to listen and here to help.
    Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your friend through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Take care,
    NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 06-22-2018, 03:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X