Collapse
No announcement yet.

17yr old moving out in Oklahoma

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My step daughter is 17 and will be 18 in janJanu. She's with her boyfriend everyday and says because she doesnt have her own room but I know that's not it it's because she loves been with him. We let her because we don't want her to feel like we are controlling her. Her dad is sad she's moving out but I tell him let her go. We got custody of her and her brother about 2 years ago because there mom was very verable to them and the lived in a shed. Says she has nothing here because she doesn't have a room. She be moving out in January when she's 18 and says we can't stop here. Qhat to do

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safe line. It sounds like you are very concerned for your step daughter and her plans to move out on her 18th birthday. We want you to know that we are here to offer whatever support we can.

We are not legal experts however, in your state an individual is no longer considered a minor at age 18. It is true that when she turns 18 years old she does have the liberty to make that decision. However you may want to consider asking some safety questions such as, “Where will you go if you move out”, “How will you keep yourself safe,” “How do you plan to provide for yourself?” Another option to possibly consider is maybe do a bit of negotiating with your step daughter. You could possibly discuss with your daughter what she feels would need to happen or change for her to agree to stick around a little bit longer and see how you and your husband feel about it. Also, please feel free to hand over our hotline number to your step daughter and we’ll be more than glad to speak with her at any time in regards to anything she would like to speak about.

Again, we are very happy that you reached out to us. Seeking out for help is such a courageous thing to do and it appears you are trying to figure out your best options and that is certainly a great thing to hear. If you would like to talk further, please do not hesitate to reach out to us whether through call, chat, or email. We are here to help 24-7, 7 days a week.

I will be turning 17 in 2 months and my guardian ( aka grandmother) is kicking me out soon and the rest of my family said I wasn’t allowed at their home. But they said if I wasn’t emancipated that they would call DHS and I’m not sure what to do. I have a steady job and I’m applying for another tomorrow. But if I did leave on my birthday would I be able to get an apartment with my boyfriend?

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you reaching out us here at NRS! We understand you must be going through a difficult time and that you have chosen to reach out us is a big thing. Our hope is to provide you with the tools necessary to make the best decision that is best for you.
      Though we are not legal experts from what we can gather about your story is that your family has been really hard on you. We are very sorry to hear that. As far as the situation you find yourself in, because you are so close to 18 your family can call DHS but because you would be so close to 18. A good tip perhaps is to start saving that way when you turn 18 you and your boyfriend could afford to move into an apartment. There are many sites you can use in order to find housing options. A google search would definitely help get you started in the right direction. Know that once you are 18 you are an adult and therefore no one can make choices for you any longer.
      Again we want to commend you for seeking help and contacting us here at NRS. We know it takes a lot to be seeking us out. Our hope is that we have given you enough tips and resources to help you in your current situation. If for any reason you have questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us at (1-800-786-2929) or online through our chat option at (www.1800runaway.org)
      Best Wishes-NRS

I'm 17 and I want to move out in February, I have a job but I get paid minimum wage, I am planning on saving up til then. I should also be finish with school by then. I am going to move in with someone, my parents are somewhat okay with it. The thing is I have personally been through some things and i still need help finding an apartment

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Cameron,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We are glad to hear that you have made plans for your future. Having a structured plan of how you want things to go when you move out can be beneficial for success.
      It is great that you would like to move out in February but one thing that you might want to keep in mind is the age of majority in your state. We know that you mentioned that you are going to wait until you have graduated from high school but in some states that might not be enough. In most states the age of majority is 18. We are not legal experts nor are we affiliated with the police so we can only speak generally about what could happen if a youth leaves home without the consent of a guardian. Leaving home without parental consent (running away) is not a crime, so the police will not arrest you. If you do leave home without permission your guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. Running away is not a crime it is a status offence (something that only a minor can get in trouble for: truancy, buying cigarettes, etc.) this means that if you have any interaction with the police they will simply return you home. On the other hand the people that you are found to be staying with could face legal consequences that vary depending on your state. You can find out more about how runaway’s reports are carried out by contacting your local police department. If you would like we could contact your local non-emergency number for you or with you. Just give us a call and one of our trained liners would be happy to assist you.
      Additionally, since you mentioned that are having a hard time finding a roommate it could be helpful to put a post on your social media accounts or using a local newspaper or community board. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe,
      NRS

My son wants to leave home at age 17 and 3 months? Will I be held liable if he leaves home? He wants to move out of state and in with a girlfriend. He doesn't turn 18 until August 2018. We live in Oklahoma.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today.

You do have the right to give him permission to live away from home, especially with him being so close to 18. You would still be his legal guardian until he turns 18. If you are worried about being liable for him, you can also give a legal adult temporary guardianship of him; which looks like having a temporary guardianship agreement signed by both parties and notarized. You also have the right to report him as a runaway if he leaves without permission. It is hard to say if police would actively respond to it due to his age, but it is a possibility that he could be returned home once reported. Reporting him as a runaway if he leaves without permission would also make you not liable for his actions while away.

We hope this information was helpful. Please call 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us if you would like to talk in detail about your situation. We are here for youth and their families alike!

Best,

NRS

hi i am 15 can i legally move out if my are parents are OK with it

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS. Our hope is provide you with resources and tools that will help you find the best decision for you. From what we gather about your story please know that if you under 18 and go anywhere else other than you parent’s home you can be file as a runaway with the police. A good way to not be in those types of problems is by having your parents sign off on a legal document stating that they are giving consent and if need be giving guardianship over to the people who are going to be in charge of you.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

I am going to be 17 in about a week and would like to know if it would be possible to move out of state to live with my grandma without my dad's permission. My dad's wife is mentally abusive, but he does not want to leave her cause of the little boy they have together. I love my brother and dad but living with my step mom is tiring. Always hearing ******** about me from her, nothing I do pleases her. I need to leave if at all possible.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us, it seems like a difficult situation and you seem like you have a tough choice here.

If you do move out to your grandma’s without getting permission then your father will have the right to file a runaway report. This is not a criminal offence, it is known as a status offence. In this case if the police find you they would simply bring you home. Your grandma may be at risk of legal consequences, known as harboring a runaway, even if she is family. This is especially true if you have crossed state lines. You may want to reach out to a local police station anonymously to ask about what might happen as we are not legal experts. It seems like the biggest reason you want to leave is to avoid contact with your dad’s wife. You may want to consider other ways to avoid having to deal with her by staying out of the house for longer periods. Some examples would be a school club, going to a friends’ house after school, or even an afterschool job. This may help to get you through until you turn 18 in another year. Last you may consider looking into emancipation, which could allow you to choose where you live or to allow you to live on your own.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like additional help. We are always here for you.

Best,

NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X