Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Hi, I am a 17-year-old girl and I will be turning 18 in 7 months but I am still a high school student but I am only a sophomore. The other day and my family got into a really big argument because I got in the car with my boyfriend and apparently that was a known rule but they didn't say that until after the fact. my sister was in the car with us. That night I got in trouble for getting into his car . That night I got in trouble, I talked to my teacher the next day and she had to talk to my counselor who then talks to DHS then DHS showed up to my house 2 weeks later and said that they could not remove me from my house because they did not see it as abusive or anything like that have had multiple conversations with my dad and him saying that he does not care anymore and that I could move out if I really wanted to but my mom per se would not like that but she's not my actual mom would she still have authority over me? I have a biological mother that I have never met I have read stories about her know that I have two younger siblings that live with her. Would there be a possibility that I could go live with herI'm also thinking about running away from my home? I don't know what to do so I'm reaching out to you guys.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We cannot imagine how hard it must be for you to live in a house where you don’t feel loved. We want you to know that your mother kicking you out is considered neglect, which is reportable to Child Protective Services. Child Help USA is an information and referral line that can connect you with your local CPS abuse hotline. That number is 1-800-422-4453. If you ever felt like making a report or needed help, we are here to assist with that. We understand that making an abuse report can be intimidating so if you like we can call together to provide support.
    You are so courageous for telling your mother how you have been feeling- that couldn’t have been easy. We know that you mentioned that you do not think that you will be able to survive in that house until you are 18. It could be a good idea to try and get involved in activities that would keep you out of the house like an after school club or getting a part time job. On top of keeping you out of your toxic household having healthy activities can take your mind off of the troubles at home and help you in the future.
    We understand that this must be a difficult situation for you and if you would like to talk more about what is going on at home please know that we are available to talk 24/7
    1-800-786-2929

Guest replied
    my mom has kicked me out multiple times again and again. she makes me feel unwanted and not loved at all. i've told her this and she doesn't evem try to fix it. I tell her how im unstable in the house and around my family. and how i NEED to leave. t's all so draining. I am 17 years old and i dont think i can make it till 18 without hating her. and i don't want to do that at all. I just think it's safe to not be around her until we fix the issue. But she has no intention on fixing the issues. I was planning on walking out with my stuff two days after she told me to leave and not come back,, but i stayed because i knew she'd regret it. but i don't care at this point anymore. i need to leave. so i had my duffle bags packed and was about to leave but when I came home from school she took them and told me i wasnt leaviing. so we sat that and argued and i continued to tell her how i feel but she didnt care. She even called her cop friend and he said that i LEGALLY cant leave with out her permision. So i feel like if i did leave she would call him and i'd have no choice but to come back. So what do I do then.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. It must be hard to live in a home where your parents do not spend any time with you. Spending family time together is really import to help build the bonds within the family. You mentioned that you and your little brother have been thinking about going to live with your dad. This could be easily done if you can get your mother and father to agree to these terms. If not then you might have to go to family court to get negotiate the living arrangement.
    Best of luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    So my mom never spends anytime with me amd my brother. Were both wanting to live with our dad. Im 17 and he is 15. All she does is go to work. Comes home and locks herself in her room. She always yells at us and says we never do anything right. She always looks at the bad in things and never looks in the good in things. We want to move out in may. Can we do that?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: My girlfriend is 16

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We are sorry to hear that your friend is being abused by her family. She does not deserve this to be happening. It is not her fault. She is fortunate to have support from you and your family.
    18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian.
    We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. Since she is under 18 a parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police.
    What actions the police take once the report is filed can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in her case.
    Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in the case there may be abuse, child protective services is an option for safety. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows a runaway to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the law is to call your local police non -emergency number and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. To report child abuse contact Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453
    This is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
    NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    My girlfriend is 16. Her mom has multiple dhs cases filed against her for child endangerment and verbal and physical child abuse. She has had enough and wants to know if she can live with me and my family. My parents have said they will take care of her. Pay for her education and get her a job. She lives with her grandma and her grandma is verbally mentally abusive and she has had enough. We can prove to be a good household for her. A better one. She doesn’t even live with her parental and legal guardian like I said. She has proved to provide on her own. Overall this is a better place for her. In her honest opinion. Will I get in trouble for taking her away? If he grandma reports a run away. But her mom is the legal parent guardian? Will she be forced to go back home. Even though I’ll be taking he to Colorado. Since she lives in Oklahoma (we recently moved).
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-14-2019, 03:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a frustrating time and we will do our best to help you through this difficult time. We are not legal experts but we do have general information on the laws. Because you are a minor if you were to leave home without permission you could be considered as a runaway. If the police found you they would most likely bring you back home. Unfortunately with the emancipation process a lot of times it requires parent’s approval or the court stating you can be emancipated. The emancipation process can take 6 months or a year so it may take longer if you turn 18 in the next year. One option for you could be to call out to your local non-emergency police department and ask them how they would handle a situation similar to yours.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore your options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support to you. We wish you the best of luck in your situation, stay strong you are not alone.
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 17 years old and I live in Oklahoma. I currently have an almost 3 year old. I live with my parents but I pay for everything. I want to move out. I just don’t want my parents to fight for custody or file me as a runaway, the only way I can get emancipated is if I go through court legalizing saying that I can live apart from my parents and provide for me and and my daughter but how am I suppose to do that if the law says a minor under 18 is classified as a runaway if they leave home even though I have a child myself.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    replied
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm 17 years old I have a job am I allowed to move out of my parents house!

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Thank you for reaching out to us, it seems like a difficult situation and you seem like you have a tough choice here.

If you do move out to your grandma’s without getting permission then your father will have the right to file a runaway report. This is not a criminal offence, it is known as a status offence. In this case if the police find you they would simply bring you home. Your grandma may be at risk of legal consequences, known as harboring a runaway, even if she is family. This is especially true if you have crossed state lines. You may want to reach out to a local police station anonymously to ask about what might happen as we are not legal experts. It seems like the biggest reason you want to leave is to avoid contact with your dad’s wife. You may want to consider other ways to avoid having to deal with her by staying out of the house for longer periods. Some examples would be a school club, going to a friends’ house after school, or even an afterschool job. This may help to get you through until you turn 18 in another year. Last you may consider looking into emancipation, which could allow you to choose where you live or to allow you to live on your own.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like additional help. We are always here for you.

Best,

NRS

Guest replied
    I am going to be 17 in about a week and would like to know if it would be possible to move out of state to live with my grandma without my dad's permission. My dad's wife is mentally abusive, but he does not want to leave her cause of the little boy they have together. I love my brother and dad but living with my step mom is tiring. Always hearing ******** about me from her, nothing I do pleases her. I need to leave if at all possible.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Thanks for reaching out to NRS. Our hope is provide you with resources and tools that will help you find the best decision for you. From what we gather about your story please know that if you under 18 and go anywhere else other than you parent’s home you can be file as a runaway with the police. A good way to not be in those types of problems is by having your parents sign off on a legal document stating that they are giving consent and if need be giving guardianship over to the people who are going to be in charge of you.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied

hi i am 15 can i legally move out if my are parents are OK with it

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X