No announcement yet.

17yr old moving out in Oklahoma

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17yr old moving out in Oklahoma

I'm 17 year old girl and live in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. I've ran away before for 8months when I was 15 and got arrested for some things but have lived back home since then. I've gotten my life on track and am a junior and straight A student in school but I just can't take my moms stuff any longer. Arguing everyday, she has an alarm on the house that I can't have the code to, she locks the doors and turns it on when she leaves so I can't even open a door or window without it going off and her flipping out. she verbally attacks me over the most petty things and thinks that im doing bad things when I'm not, tracks me everywhere I go and has called the cops on me for locking my bedroom door one night, she takes money out of my bank account if i spend cash without telling her, will take money out of my account if im being," shisty or trifling" , as she calls it. I have a job and make almost $1000 a month and I can support myself if I wanted to, but i want to continue school. Me and my boyfriend are wanting to get an apartment together after he graduates in 1 month, is it possible for me to do that even if im leaving without consent.

RE: 17yr old moving out in Oklahoma

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the National Runway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a very tough situation. No one deserves to fell unhappy or unsafe in their own home. We are here to help you as much as we can and help you navigate some options and resources that you may have not thought of before. One option that you may not have thought of is child abuse Reporting. If you feel like you are being emotionally or physically abused, you can make a report or we can help you with making the report. It sounds like you are going through a lot right now. One thing to think about is if you are under the age of 18 and leave the home without permission, your parents can file a runaway report. If they decided to make a runaway report and the police find you, they will send you back home to your family. If the police find you and someone is helping you runaway, that person can get in trouble with the police for harboring a runaway. Since you are 17 years old, there is chance that the police might not look for you if your parents decide to report you. One way to find out is calling your local police department and asking them what are their policies on runaways that are 17 years old. We are glad to hear that you are doing well in school and can take care of yourself, that is something to be very proud of. We encourage you to call us at 1800-786-2929 if you need more support, or if you would like to explore more options. Thank you and good luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

17 and need to move

I am 17 years old. I turn 18 in 93 days. I live inbetween Ketchum and Vinita Oklahoma. Yesterday my parents said I could move out and live with my boyfriend. I've been dating him for 5 years, 6 in October. I had talked to one of my teachers in school and they said they would help me find a job if I moved out. Today, my mom changed her mind and said I didn't need to leave. I've already started packing yesterday. Is there anything I can do to leave now without their permission? I need an answer ASAP. Please? And Thank you. :'(

Comment

re: 17 and need to move

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it sounds like you are going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life and we want you to know that we are her to listen and to help in the best way that we can. From what you shared, it sounds like you are pretty set on leaving home.

We want to start off by letting you know that we are not legal experts here, which means that we are only able to speak in general terms about your situation. In most states, because you are still considered a minor, your parents are able to file a runaway report. If a runaway report is filed and you are found, typically you would be forced to return home. If you would want a more firm answer, you are able to reach out to your local police department and ask general questions about your situation and what would happen to a 17 year old runaway in your county. If this is something that might make you nervous and don’t want to call yourself, please feel free to reach out to us here and we would be able to make that call for you.

We hope that we were able to let you know a little more about what we do and explain our services. We want you to know that our lines are open 24/7 and we can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have a live chat program that is available every day from 4:30 PM until 11:30 PM CST. We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong,

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

17 and need to move

Thank you. I really don't want to ask myself, but I really would like to know. If you could contact them, that would help me, a lot.

Comment

Hey again,

Thanks for reaching out to us again. Unfortunately, in order for us to call out to any resources or police departments, you would need to give us a call and we would call out for you. It is part of our policy due to confidentiality reasons.

We hope to get your call soon!

Best,

NRS

Comment

17 and need to move

Would I have to give my name or anything like that?

Comment

Hi, thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. Our services are confidential and you only share with us whatever you feel comfortable sharing with us. If you would like to talk to us, please feel free to call our 24 hour hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). You can also email us or chat with us through our website www.1800runaway.org. Our chat is available daily from 4:30pm-11:30pm CTS. We hope this helps and look forward to hearing from you.

NRS

Comment

17 year old wanting to sign out of school so i can move

Can I legally sign myself out of school in Oklahoma at 17 without parents consent I am almost 18 I turn 18 in 2 weeks

Comment

16 and to move

what happens if move in with a other friend

Comment

• ccsmod15
                      ccsmod15 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you for reaching out and posting. If you are under the age of 18 and leave the home without permission, your parents can file a runaway report. A runaway report is considered a status offense, so not a misdemeanor or felony or anything that would go on your record. If they decided to make a runaway report and the police find you, they would likely send you back home. If the police find you and someone is helping you runaway, that person could technically get in trouble with the police for harboring a runaway. We encourage you to call us at 1800-786-2929 if you need more support, or if you would like to explore more options. Thanks, NRS

17 and need to move out asap. I'm Jessica and I live with my father and we use to be really close well we aren't anymore and he threatens me sometimes saying he will choke me or knock me out and I came to visit my mom and he's been short an rude with me since not even talking to me unless it's to fight and at home he always ignores me and is all about his girlfriend and her kids I'm always in trouble for literally nothing and I want to know if it would be okay if I live with my mom without my dads consent?

Comment

• ccsmod1
                      ccsmod1 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hello Jessica,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help. We are so sorry to hear about your situation with your dad. You don't deserve to be threatened, and it sounds like a very stressful and scary environment to live in. It is totally understandable that you would want to move out and live with your mom. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can. It sounds like your father has threatened to seriously hurt you. If you feel that you are being abused, you always have the option of filing an abuse report with your local child protective services. You can call Child Help, the National Child Abuse Hotline, at 1-800-422-4453 or go to www.childhelp.org for more information about this option. If you do move out without your dad's permission, since you are under 18 he could involve the police. We are not legal experts, however we can give you some general info. If he were to report you as a runaway to law enforcement, police may search for you and force you to return to your father's home. There is also a chance that your mom could get into trouble for harboring a runaway if your dad tries to press charges against her. Since you are 17, sometimes police departments may not use resources to make a youth who is turning 18 soon return home. This doesn't mean that it is legal to move out, and this can differ based on your location and the details of your situation. One option could be to call your local law enforcement non-emergency number to ask if they would take a runaway report for a 17 year old, or if they would make you go home if you are in a safe place with a non-custodial parent. Asking these questions could give you a sense of what you could expect in terms of police response if your dad were to report you missing. If you need to talk or you want to talk through your options and get help making a plan, please don't hesitate to give us a call any time. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Im 17 4 months from being 18 my mom is makeing it to were i cant leave do anything at all even get a job without her jumping onto me ive tried to go get my license and she wizzed out on me ... i waant to know if i can legally move out and get my own apartment and stuff and live on my own with a roommate of mine who is about to turn 18 too

Comment

• ccsmod10
                      ccsmod10 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi, thank you for reaching out to use here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re thinking about leaving home, we’re not legal experts here, but can give you some information.

In Oklahoma the age of majority, where you legally become an adult, is 18. After you turn 18 you are legally an adult and can make your own decisions. If you leave home without your parent’s permission before you turn 18, your parents can file a runaway report with the police. The police may investigate, and can return you home, but enforcement varies in each locality. The best way to find out how the police might enforce in your situation, being very close to turning 18, is to call the local police non-emergency number during regular hours and ask them. The call can be made confidentially, we can also help with the call if you call us here on our 24/7 Safeline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).
                      There is a lot to think about if you leave home. You need a safe place to stay, and a way to support yourself. It’s good you are thinking these things through. You also should have ID, like an ID card, social security card, and birth certificate. If you would like to talk about your options, you can call us here 24/7, or chat with us through our website during chat hours.

Again, it’s really good you are thinking your options through. Stay safe, and best of luck. We’ll look forward to hearing from you.
                      NRS

I'm 16 and my boyfriend is 16 but he will be 17 in november . Could he and his 18 year old sister live with me ? Their family is torn because his dad is cheating on his mom and i feel horrible for them .

Comment

You seem really concerned for your boyfriend, which is understandable. He is lucky to have you for support. But, because of his age, your boyfriend may not be able to come and stay with you without his parents permission. If he chooses to leave he would be considered a runaway in most cases and he could potentially be sent back home. Legally his parents would still be responsible for him. If you have further questions about runaway laws you are welcome to call the local non emergency police in your area for more information.

Take care,
                      NRS

Comment

can i have my mom take her name off of my school papers and record i am 17 and me and her are not getting a long

Comment

• ccsmod10
                          ccsmod10 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to the NRS forum, we hope our response will be helpful.

It sounds like you and your mom are not on good terms and you’re wanting to be more independent as far as school goes. There is an act called the McKinney-Vento Act and it ensures educational rights and protections for youth who are homeless or runaways (basically youth who are not accompanied by their parents). The act lets youth enroll in new schools or stay in their own, the act also helps students receive free meals. We’re not experts on how the act goes into action, but you can reach out to the National Center for Homelessness Education Helpline (800) 308-2145.

We also offer conference calling options, between youth and parents, if you ever needed help talking to her about the issues that you two are having. Or we can use our database to find counseling resources too!

If you want to talk with us more about your situation, we encourage you to call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or chat with us on our website. We're always here to listen and help you consider your options.

Best of luck,
                          NRS
                      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      x
                      Working...
                      X