No announcement yet.

Taking Up on the Offer

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Taking Up on the Offer

    When I was chatting with someone from the NRS yesterday, they said that they could contact our local police for us if we are too afraid and don't want to, and talk to them for us. How exactly do we go about doing so? Can you explain the process? Do we just call the NRS, ask them to talk to the police for us, hang up and wait for the response? Also, can we tell them what to ask for us? They said the process would be anonymous as well, so my parents won't know, right?

  • #2
    Hey there,
    Thanks for reaching out to us again! It sounds like you’re wanting to know more about our conference calling option. Yes, we are confidential, we won’t ask your name or any identifying information. So you would have to call into our Safeline, then we can call out to your local police station. You can talk to them with us, or we can ask those questions and then get back to you on what they said, while you’re on the other line. Either way, the police will not know your identity. When you calling, we can explain the process to you again, if you have any more questions!
    Our Safeline is open 24/7, so please don’t hesitate to reach out!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      Hi, I'm 17 Turning 18 In 3 Months And My Girlfriend Is 16 Turning 17 In 3 Months Also. She's Illegal And Her Parents Treats Her Like Crap And We Live In Different States If She Was To Come Over To Me At The Age Of 18 Would She Get In trouble Not Being Able to Prove She's 18 To Authorities? Please Help.


      • ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Please see our response to your similar post:

        "Hello there, thank you for reaching out today for your girlfriend, she is lucky to have a partner like you. Sounds like your girlfriend is being treated very poorly by her parents, and you want to know if she can stay with you once she turns 18. Depending on your state’s laws, 18 years old is typically the age that youth being legal adults legally. So she can leave home at 18 without parental permission.

        If she left home now, before she turns 18, her parents could attempt to file a runaway report for her with police, and if she is found she would be returned home. In one of your posts you mentioned that she is “illegal”; if she is undocumented and her guardians do not want to go to authorities, it might be hard for her to be listed as a runaway. While running away is typically not illegal, the legal adult who houses her as a runaway could face misdemeanor charges called “harboring a runaway.”

        Please call or chat us if you have more questions or if you would like to go over your options. You might also give your girlfriend our number (1-800-RUNAWAY) so we could help her directly.


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp