No announcement yet.

What will happen if I run away at the age of 12

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What will happen if I run away at the age of 12

    half way through 5th grade to do online school and that did not work so I quit that and spent the rest of the year doing no school kids dream yeah sure we'll I became depressed over the summer and on 6th grade I missed almost the whole year and that's where I am right now I've had anxiety of big groups and I've been stressed and depressed I've started cutting myself and once thought of suicide and I feel like if I stay where I live I'll want to kill myself or cut more
    so if I went to my grandparents house witch is over 100 miles away could they call the cops on me I'm ready to leave and in just a couple days
    so please answer what they can do if I run away

  • #2

    Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us tonight. It sounds like you're in a pretty tough situation right now. We are so sorry to hear about everything you're going through. We want you to know that your life is important, and we are really glad you're still here with us today and reaching out for help. It sounds like you trust your grandparents enough that you want to live with them, which is great. We are happy you have them in your life. We can definitely give you some information on runaway laws and talk to you about some other resources that we might have for you.

    So first and foremost we can tell you a bit about runaway laws and what could possibly happen if you were to leave home without your parents permission. Normally when you leave home before the age of 18 you would be considered a runaway. Running away is not illegal but it is considered a status offense. What this means is that you won't be arrested for running away, but your parents or guardian could file a runaway report for you with the police and the police would be looking for you. If the police found you they would take you back home. It would not go on your permanent record and you would not get arrested. If there is any abuse going on at home and you tell them about it they will investigate it and get in contact with child protective services. You can also talk to your grandparents about getting custody of you if they wanted to. To do that, they would most likely have to get in contact with a family lawyer.

    When it comes to your depression, self harm, and suicidal thoughts we want to give you some resources that can be helpful. We want you to know we care about you, and you don't deserve to feel so upset. Those topics are really serious, and you shouldn't have to go through it alone. One resource that could be great for you if you ever feel really bad again is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Their number is 1-800-273-8255. Another resource that can help you when it comes to self harm can be To Write Love On Her Arms. Their website is and they may have some useful resources for you.

    If you need any other resources or want to talk more about what you're going through please don't hesitate to reach out to us again. You can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are 24/7 and someone will always be here to answer and see what else we can do for you.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove