Can I move out at 17?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I move out at 17?

I want to move out of my mom's house but I'm only 17 (18 in January). I don't get along well with my mom, I never have, she's borderline psychotic. I can't listen to her and her boyfriend fight every single day, it's driving me insane. I have a lot of bad memories here and I don't need anymore, I can't handle it. If I were able to move I know for sure I'd have a safe place to live and I'd be taken care of, much better than I am here for sure. Even if I wanted to live alone I could afford to live in a small apartment, I have a job and have at least $600 saved and could get a second job if need be. I just need to know if need parental consent to leave, I know my mom would never allow it but I've heard it's legal. I don't want to try and have legal issues and just be brought back home, you can probably see how that would make things worse. So, any advice?

Hello,
    Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are fed up of the fighting and arguing that is going on in your home. It is understandable that you would want to leave a place where there is so much stress. We are not legal experts but generally speaking a person is not considered an adult until they are 18. This means that their guardians are legally responsible for them. So the parent is required by law to provide for the youth (food, shelter, school, etc.) If they fail to do so then they can face legal consequences. This also means that the youth cannot live anywhere else without parents’ consent. There are exceptions to this rule but those include getting the court involved such as emancipation or Child Protective Services removing the parent’s rights. And for these you would not need parents consent.
    It sounds like you are already self-sufficient and we support you becoming an independent young adult. We wanted to give you this information so that you can make the best informed decision for yourself. We can also help advocate for you, all you have to do is just give us a phone call and one of our liners would be happy to assist you. 1-8200-786-2929
    Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hi, I'm 17 and am going to college online. I'm stuck in my house 24/7 because my parents refuse to let me have friends or go anywhere. I'm stuck and I have anxiety attacks every other day, I'm probably going to move in with my boyfriend in a few months and I'm not telling my family where I'm going. They are so verbally abusive to me that I barely speak to anyone and I've needed counseling for a long time now BC of my anxiety and depression but they don't care about me. They're racist and manipulative. My mother has men come to her house every other day to have sex with her. And my dad never comes to see me, and when he does, he makes racist comments. I'm constantly made fun of by my family, like I'm fat or ugly etc. I just need to leave

Comment

Reply: Hi, I'm 17 and am going to college online

Hello,
        Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline .

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing your story.
        You don’t deserve to be made fun or talked bad about.
        It’s unfortunate that this is going on but we hope you understand you are not at fault for the way others behave.

It sounds like you have been frustrated by the way you have been treated for some time now and it is good that you are reaching out for help.
        It also sounds like you have plans to move out and not tell anyone where you are.
        Moving out is the first step but it also might be helpful to have an extended plan of survival.

If you would like to speak more about your situation and to also explore some options please give NRS a call or live chat with us.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X