No announcement yet.

Taken in a 17 year old

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Taken in a 17 year old

    I recently let a 17 year old who was kicked out of their house move in with my family. Their parents are fairly crazy.

    In my state you cannot get runaway status, so a police report is not of concern, but can I be sued for interfering with parental rights? They did get kicked out but their mother doesn't like me or my child and she is a bit crazy.

  • #2
    Thank you for contacting us today.

    It sounds like you are dealing with a difficult situation and are doing your best to help a youth in need.
    We are not legal experts at National Runaway Safeline, but there is the possibility that any person who lets a runaway stay in their home can face legal trouble. You may want to call your local authorities to ask what that possibility is.
    You could also look into being the alternative living situation for the youth. You might want to contact legal services to determine what kind of paperwork is needed to accomplish this. Although this may require agreement from the youth’s legal guardian.
    If you are in need of any referrals for your local authorities or legal services, you can contact us at 1-800-RUNAWAY and we can offer you those over the phone.

    Thank you for reaching out to NRS.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove