No announcement yet.

What is needed before leaving home.

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is needed before leaving home.

    My girlfriend lives in a terrible household and doesn't want to stay any longer than needed. She plans to leave on her 18 birthday, I would like to know in order to inform her about what she will need if anything before leaving home. Are there any documents she must get from her parents who might not be willing to hand over to her.

  • #2

    Here at NRS we are non directive, so we wouldn't exactly be able to tell her what to take with her when she leaves. But to answer your questions, there are probably things like birth documents, etc that she would need at some point to apply for jobs, get IDs and any school enrollment if that is her goal. She may also want to consider where she will live and how to support herself once she is gone. There might be Transitional Living agencies in the area to help guide her in the right direction as far as moving out. You can use as a resource to find local programs in your city.

    Take care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      I want to runaway because I just don't feel loved anymore because my dad yelled at me and said you are ruining his bissness sit the h**l down so that's the main reason I'm leaving


      • ccsmod1
        ccsmod1 commented
        Editing a comment

        Thanks for reaching out to us for help. We are sorry to hear that you don't feel loved, that sounds very difficult and hurtful. It sounds like it upset you when your dad yelled at you, which is understandable. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can. You mentioned you plan to run away. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. A good way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. You can also give us a call or chat with us online if you need to talk! We are here 24/7 to take your call. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon and wish you the best of luck.
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove