No announcement yet.

Missouri 17 YO Runaway Laws

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello i am 17 years old in Missouri my mom told me get out then when i left over to my girlfriends house proceeded to threaten to call the cops on her parents my question is if i’m 17 can i choose where i want to stay legally without them getting in trouble

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

Hello,a friend's kids ages (13 and 14 I believe) are being physically abused. There were even multiple witnesses as of last night,the cops arrived and the child had an obviously swollen face.they left after the child was made to state 'everything was ok' which wasn't the case. I'm terrified as one of the adults is rumored to be using hard drugs and my concern is something really bad will happen. These children to get out of their house. Their family is in the south and is more than willing to assume rights if at all possible.please help asap

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thank you so much for reaching out and sharing a bit about what's going on. It is extremely concerning to hear that these kids are being abused a. Safety is our biggest concern here at NRS and we encourage you to call 911 if you think any of these young people need immediate medical attention. It is quite worrisome that the police did not appropriately respond to this situation. The kids (or you) have the right to contact child protective services (CPS) to file an abuse report. If this is something you are interested in you can go to childhelp.org for more information on abuse reporting and how to file.

It may be beneficial for the kids to reach out to us as well so we can go over the situation in depth and explore other options and resources that they may have available to them. We can be reached by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY, or via the chat button on the top of our home page.

Stay safe,
      NRS

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

My bfs mom is driving him so crazy that he wants out so bad he calls and texts me crying because of the way she treats him. He said he is gonna move out at 17 ( in May he turns 17) and she thinks he's gonna move in with me. He's not, but he wants out so badly. Is there anyway he can move out without her making him so miserable, and forcing him to go back home?

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS and sharing this with us. It sounds like this is a stressful situation for him to be at home with his mom, especially if he feels that his home environment isn’t a good one due to the way his mom is treating him.

We aren't legal experts here at NRS, but, in most states, the age of majority is 18, meaning that if a person is 18 or over and is trying to leave their home, they can do so at their own free will, and his/her parents would not be able to force him back home. To make sure your boyfriend isn’t forced home, you and him could consider making sure what the age of majority is in the state he lives in. If he does decide to leave even though his age is under the age of majority, his mom could have the police go to find him and to bring him home to her again. His mom could also file a runaway report, which is like a Missing Person’s report, and have the police go find him through that means. If the police do find him, they would likely bring him back home to his mom again. Depending on his situation, another option he could use is seeing if there is a family member or friend who is willing to take him in who his mom would approve of. This way, he wouldn’t have to worry too much about his mom forcing him back home through the use of the police.

It is understandable why he wants to leave his home, especially if his mother is making him feel this way and is treating him poorly. It may be beneficial to have him reach out to us directly if he needs any other information or wants to explore other options to fix the situation. He can feel free to reach out by calling 1800RUNAWAY (1800-786-2929) or chatting us at 1800runaway.org. We are here to support you and listen to you.

Stay safe,
      NRS

im 16 planning on leaving home at 17 i will be moving in with my cousin who will be 20 when i move in with her. i live in missouri and my parents can be physically and mentally abusive. we have had dfs called many times and nothing has happened. i have been to a mental hospital twice for trying to kill myself. can i get in trouble?

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to be vulnerable, and we appreciate you reaching out. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

It sounds like you are in a neglectful and abusive living situation, and we’re glad you’ve come to us. Everyone deserves to feel loved and respected in their home. Suicide is not your only option, and you’re very brave to seek an alternative to death by suicide. If you ever feel at risk of hurting yourself again, we encourage you to reach out to a friend, family member, or hotline such as NRS or National Alliance on Mental Illness (1-800-950-NAMI).

If you ever feel unsafe at home, it’s always within your rights to report any abusive behavior. www.childhelp.org can be a great resource when looking to report abuse, and we can also assist you in filling out an abuse report if you call or chat us. While running away is not illegal, anyone that you are staying with could potentially be charged with harboring a runaway. However, if you file an abuse report when you leave home, and since you have documented abuse before, the police typically will at least conduct another investigation before making any decisions about making you return home.

If you would like to further discuss your options, we encourage you to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. If calling is not feasible, you can also chat us at www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope this helped and take care!

NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X