No announcement yet.

Moving into friends house at age 17.

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I'm 17 and I plan to move into my friend's house can my friend's parent's get charged for kidnapping if I want to be there?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 10-09-2019, 01:13 AM.


    • #17
      I'm 17 and I plan to move

      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

      We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police.
      Also, those that a reported runaway stays with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Anyone found to be assisting or aiding someone to run away may also find themselves at risk legally. For more specifics on the law, you might consider contacting the local non-emergency number for the police. You might also look for a legal aid center in the area. They may be able to answer any legal questions on the subject.

      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).

      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

      Be safe,

      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

      National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

      Tell us what you think about your experience!


      • #18
        I was recently adopted by my grandmother after being in foster care for three years. I only had her adopt me because if she didn't my case worker was threatening to put me in residential placement, and we have a hate hate relationship to the point of not being able to stand being in that house. I turn 18 in February and I had recently told her I was moving out. Her response was that she was calling the cops, reporting me as a runaway, and then having them send me to lockup until I turn 18. Is there any way that she can actually do that, or any loop holes to getting around that? Need a response ASAP as I want to speed this up if im able to do it.


        • ccsmod8
          ccsmod8 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello –

          Thank you for reaching out to us here on our public forum. Hopefully you have taken the opportunity to explore the responses on this thread to see if they can help you. It is our thought by helping you during your crisis, that there are others out there going through the same situation can look at this thread and find the answers that they need as well. Of course if you need additional support you are more than welcome to reach out to us via our online chat or our 24/7 hotline.

          As you have probably read from our other replies on this page, is that we aren’t legal experts nor can we tell you want you should or should not do. So from what we know about running away from home before the age of majority, is that a parent or legal guardian always has the right to file a runaway/missing person's report with the local law enforcement. The act of running away isn't considered a crime, it's more of a status offense so something like getting a parking ticket or traffic violation. So it's to our understanding that a parent can't "press charges" against their child or “lock them up” for running away just because they want to. You would have to be involved in something that would be illegal or crime to be taken into custody by the police.

          If you are worried about it, you might be able to call your local non-emergency police number to get more information on that and be for sure.

          Best of luck!
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove