Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im 17 and need some help with getting out of my house.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am 17 but I'm on house arrest therefore can I still get of my house officially in Texas?

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. We are not legal experts but we do have general information on the laws and we will do our best to help you. In Texas the legal age of majority is 18 years old. What that means is if you left home before turning 18 you could be considered as a runaway. If the police found you they would most likely bring you back home.
      Because you are on house arrests if you were to leave home you may be in some legal trouble and usually they would be able to find you pretty quickly. We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore your options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support to you. We wish you the best of luck.
      NRS

I’m 17 and need some help with getting out of my house

I have no job, no family, I absolutely have no one to turn to. I only have my mom but she’s aggressive and has anger issues to the point of beating me up and possibly killing me. I don’t want her to get in trouble because she has (ebt) she gets help with food stamps and has a social worker. I wouldn’t want her to get a case file or something worse. I just want out of this house. Is there any way I can without her getting into a huge mess?

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parent’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

I'm 17 (turning 18 in 5 months), and I am desperate to leave my parent's house. I would far prefer to live on the streets than be here for much longer and risk harming myself. My parents do have a history of abuse directed at me and my older siblings - my father has even been ticketed for such, and legal action had to be taken between him and my brother a few years ago. I want to leave so badly that I long for my parents to throw me out of their home, regardless of if I would be physically hurt in that process. I do have a job and a driver's license, and have been invited to stay with my boyfriend's family if needed. Would it be possible for me to leave before I'm 18?

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us your story. It sounds like you are going through a very difficult time right now and we hope to be able to help you. We want you to know that no one deserves to be abused, and you should not have to go through that. If you haven’t already, you could consider reporting the abuse you’ve been experiencing. If you want more information about abuse reporting or if you want to file a report, you could call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453.

You mentioned harming yourself. If you’re not currently getting mental health resources, it can be really helpful to get treatment As your mental health suffers, you have -limited ability to handle the other stressors in your life. You can contact the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) to connect you to mental health resources at 1-800-950-6264 or NAMI.org. If you ever feel like you are in danger of harming yourself just want to talk about any thoughts you may have about harming yourself you can call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-8255.

We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for harboring a runaway if your parents choose to pursue charges. Some police departments don’t accept runaway reports for 17 year olds, but the policies may vary by each department. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

Again, thank you for contacting us. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength by working through these challenges and reaching out for help. If you would like to share more, please feel free to call our 24 hour hotline at 1-800Runaway (786-2929) or use our live chat. We hope this information was helpful and take care.

Hey im 17 and I been living with my sister in law and I just had a brithday not even 8 days ago and my dad said it was ok but my mom said that I have to go home and I don't want to go home bc I don't like it there

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. From what we can gather it really has to come down to a legal battle since both hold guardianship both would have to go to court and figure out who has the ultimate say so. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe, NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X