•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod13
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing your situation with us. It sounds like living with your dad was a volatile situation for you and you felt it was best for you to leave. We are so glad that you have been safe with your best friend and that you have been in contact with your mom. We want you to know that you are not alone in this and we are here to support you as best we can.

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe, NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, due to unfortunate events, I chose to leave home. My father told me if I mess up one more time, he'll walk me outside with my bags. Then stated that can CHOSE to leave. When he went on a run, I packed my bags, took my bike, and left. I am safe and proceeded to go to my best friend's house and stay there. This all happened on a Sunday. When I called him on a Monday he told me that I need to face him like a man and that when he files a runaway, he is deciding to let the cops take me somewhere, but not back to his house. I asked to stay with my mothers and he told me no. My Mom knows about the situation and her and my friend's mom have been in contact. It is now Thursday when I'm writing this and I may be able to finally go to my Mom's. He thinks that I'm not attending school, and staying with my ex-boyfriend, who he hates. I'm still attending school, proven from attendance. And when my friend's parents pick her up I go too.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing about what’s going on. We are sorry to hear this has happened to you. You always deserve to be safe physically and emotionally.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. It also sounds like you might consider making a report to child protective services in North Carolina. If the severity of what is occurring in a home is enough, they may intervene and assist immediately.

Last, while we are not experts on the law, someone your age that leaves home, the parent/guardian may file them as a runaway and they may be returned home. Those that a reported runaway stays with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Anyone found to be assisting or aiding someone to run away may also find themselves at risk legally.

You might consider contacting the local non-emergency number for the police. You might also look for a legal aid center in the area. They may be able to answer questions on the subject.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hey i am 14 years old and live in Hamlet North Carolina,i was raped by my brother told my mama and she didn’t do anything we argue fuss and fight all the time she call me names tells me im stupid and she hit me in my eye and made it swollen she choked me and tried too kill me i plan on running away to my friends house tomorrow what is the consequences?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

We appreciate that you reached out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing what’s going on with us. It seems like you’ve been through a lot in the past, and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options due to the situation with your family. It sounds like you’ve given a lot of thought to your options of what you can do, and although it is typically what we might recommend for someone in your situation, we understand that emancipation is not a viable option for you at this time.

Outside of that, we’re not legal experts, but here’s what we do know: If your parent decides to report you as having run away, most states have laws against harboring runaways. Usually people that are just letting runaways stay with them so that they don't have to sleep on the street will not get into legal trouble. However, the possibility exists for any person who lets a runaway stay in their home to face legal trouble. That being said, any runaway report made about you would expire after you turned 18, so it doesn’t appear that you could get in trouble for running away at 17. While you would not get into any legal trouble, there is a risk you would be returned home if found.

We’d be happy to discuss more options to help ensure your safety if you’d like. Please feel free to reach out to us at 1(800) RUNAWAY, or you can chat with one of our crisis counselors online at 1800runaway.org. Take care, and we hope to hear from you soon!

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I’m 17 currently and I turn 18 by the end of the year. I’m going through a rough time at home, and I’ve been through so much. I’ve gone through a lot of my options, and I feel like running away is the only way to solve them. They are forcing me to go on long trips which may cause me to lose my job and such. I’ve expressed how I don’t want to go, and my mother doesn’t care, she said losing my job isn’t her problem. I’m very mature, I’ve been able to live on my own, take care of myself, and work through lots of adult problems on my own. I live in North Carolina, and have plenty of friends and friends family I could stay with and be supported through school, work, and life at. Im not able to go through with emancipation due to lack of evidence, no parental consent, and lack of funding to pay for it. I wish to know what legally I can do to run away, and if I do run away, that if I resurface at 18 will I get in trouble?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm just tired of the rules, feels like I can't breath without getting in trouble, no real example but I just need to get away, if I went and lived with my gf would she get in trouble? We both live in nc, I turn 17 in August and she turns 18 in November

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    hey im 16yr old and live in NC charlotte im turning 17 in a month and i wanna leave my house as soon as i turn 17 , i have some family members that have already told me i can move in with them , my parents are verbally abusive to me and have me drained , i left my religion and they've been acting different towards me i don't feel comfortable in my place no more . i already let them know i want to move out but there not letting me . so i wanna know if i can leave when i turn 17 , iv read some information and from what i understand if they call the police on me they cant make me go back home if im not in a unsafe environment or in a unsafe situation , but ima be with my family so i think im okay to leave but can someone help me ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hey there! Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step.

In reading over your post, we'd like a little more information on a couple of things before diving in and answering your questions. If you're open to it, you can reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or by chatting with us live at www.1800runaway.org. This will allow us to develop a better understanding of your situation and help us decide on the best ways that we can support you. It also gives you the opportunity to vent, be heard, discuss some of your options, and be connected with resources/referrals in your community (if that's something you'd like).

We hope to hear from you soon.

NRS

Guest replied
    I’m currently 16, turning 17 in two months. I live in Nc. I was placed in foster care at 10, I was moved around a lot when I was turning 14 I went and got put under legal gaurdianship of a family I recently got in legal trouble involving marijuana, my legal guardian sent me to Vermont to stay with my ex girlfriends grandparents, and my gaurdians have made it very clear they don’t want me back there and I’m not allowed to come back to nc or I get charged with possession and a couple other things. So I was wondering what would happen if I ran away from Vermont and went to Colorado, I have a friend out there that I would be staying with. I would be getting a job right away. What do you think will happen? Will the police be involved, will they arrest me, will they send me back to Nc etc

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what you're going through at home right now. It sounds like you feel you are being singled out, judged unfairly, and given extreme consequences for what sounds like simple innocent mistakes. Of course, some of what you describe could even be considered abuse: verbal, physical, and emotional. No one has the right to judge your body and your parents harsh and inappropriate words must hurt. Please know you don't deserve that sort of treatment and you have the right to file an abuse report if you want. You can do that through your state's child abuse reporting hotline, www.childhelp.org, or through us. But that's up to you. You know your situation best and we never tell anyone what to do.

While running away may not be a realistic option at 11 years old, you might want to consider some other ideas on how you can improve your situation. Getting support from others is often a good idea. Perhaps there are other relatives you can confide in, or a teacher, school counselor, or any other adult that you trust. Even friends can be of limited support. You might also want to consider writing your parents a letter explaining to them how you feel when they do some of the things you describe. Another thing to think about is trying to figure out and anticipate what your parent's triggers are in terms of getting angry at you. The more you can recognize patterns in your parents anger, the more you might be able to avoid it. Also: since you mention they might be angry over your grades, perhaps consider reaching out for extra help at school, tutoring, etc.

We welcome your call if you ever want to reach out to us. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we are confidential and here 24/7. You can also reach us through chat via our website: www.1800runaway.org. Even if you just need to vent, we are here to listen and help in whatever way we can.

Please be safe and stay strong!

NRS

Guest replied
    I have had a difficult time lately with my parents.(I am currently 11) This month was a sudden spike in my "Accidental activity". It means that I accidentally do stuff like for example not closing the milk cap and not putting it in the fridge. These have grave consequences for me. My parents think that hitting and yelling and slapping is a holy grail for teaching me how to behave. I get punished, pushed around and occasionally get cussed out. After the heat cools down my mom always makes these small comments while passing by me that make me feel like trash. Like absolute nothingness. I currently self diagnosed my self with ADD (Attention deficit disorder) and I feel so enraged by my parents actions that when they yell im so mad and want to punch them that I burst into tears. This happens every day and my parents absoluteley prefer my little sister. Don't get me wrong I love my little sis but she just can't help blaming every crime scene on me. As i said it has gotten way worse and I am now being fat shamed. My report card is coming and I am terrified because I haven't been doing well in math and I am seriously considering running away but I am underage and have no plan and no allowance. (like my parents would ever give me one.)
    Is there anyway anyone can help? Please...

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hey there, thanks for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you’re going through a challenging time and we’re glad you reached out. It’s resourceful of you to find us, and courageous of you to reach out for support when things are feeling overwhelming!

Based on what you’ve shared we’ve included resource options you might consider reaching out to.

Haven House Services offer a variety of youth services, including youth shelter. They are a little ways a way near Raleigh, but if you can reach out to them they can talk you through your local options. Call 919-832-7866 or https://www.havenhousenc.org/wrennhouse/

Closer to home is Durham Crisis Response Center (DCRC) and they support people experiencing family violence. Call 919-403-6562 or https://www.durhamcrisisresponse.org/programs-services
    Urban Ministries of Durham offer a variety of crisis supports, call (919) 817-5620 or https://umdurham.org/i-need-help.html

And while it sounds like you were not given the support you deserve the last time an abuse report was filed with Child Protective Services, you do have the right/option to file another one if you choose at https://www.ncdhhs.gov/divisions/soc...ctive-services . No one deserves to be harmed in any way and you deserve safety and protection. You can also tell a teacher or school counselor what is happening and they are mandated reporters, and it is their job to help you.

National Safe Place to find safe spaces for youth at https://www.nationalsafeplace.org/find-a-safe-place

If you want to call the local non-emergency police with questions, they can be reached here: Durham Police Department at (919)560-4600

If you contact us via our confidential CHAT service or the HOTLINE we can discuss options with you in real time. Often having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. And if you call us, we are happy to call out to youth agencies and legal resources with you if you’d like.

You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this difficult time.

We are LIMITED in the Number of Times we can respond Via the FORUM so if you’d like further contact, please instead contact us via our ONLINE CHAT SERVICE at www.1800runaway.org (click on the CHAT button) or our HOTLINE at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929). We are available 24/7. We are here for you and wish you all the best, NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X