Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    hey, im 17 and i live in north carolina i’ll be 18 in 2 weeks recently i’ve had trouble with my parents because i’m gay. i want to leave and i don’t know if i’m allowed to legally. they’ve forbidden me be with the perosn ive been with for months and they aren’t taking this situation good at all. I need to know if i’m allowed to leave?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    commented on Guest's reply
    Thank you for telling us your story and reaching out. It can be difficult telling others what has happened to you. It sounds like you have had a lot of big changes recently and it’s been hard trying to adjust. Although things may not be able to go back to how they were with your mom, talking to her about how you feel might help.

One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have a conversation with your parents but you would not be alone. For example, it may be hard for you to explain to your mom how you feel about her drinking. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you.

Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. If you don’t feel safe and feel like you need to get away Nationalsafeplace.org provides a safe location for you to meet a staff member who can take you to a designated place where you can discuss all options about how to stay safe. You can text 44357 the word “safe,” and your location to find a safe location in your area. Once you arrive let someone who works there know you need help connecting with a staff member. Not sure if you would be able to bring Lucky, but you can always ask.

We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. You could consider calling your local non-emergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

You mentioned having low self-esteem, feeling gloomy and empty. Stress and anxiety can appear in many different ways especially if we are feeling overwhelmed. If you’re not currently getting mental health resources, it can be really helpful to talk to someone. You can contact NAMI to connect you to mental health resources at 1-800-950-6264 or NAMI.org. You may also want to talk to your school because they should have a counselor for you.

It can be difficult to manage situations like this but you don’t have to do it alone. Hopefully these resources have been helpful. If you would like to talk more about your situation we are here 24/7 via chat at 1800Runaway.or or directly by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Wish you the best
    -NRS

Guest replied
    Im getting sick of this

So I’m under the age of 12 and me and my mom are starting to have arguments with me for every single day and I’m sick of it..my “stepdad” influenced her into drinking..(she only does it sometimes) but she would never drink or have arguments with me in the olden days...I just wish it would come back to then, but because randomly in 2017 we just moved out of nowhere with a random family I didn’t know..I never moved EVER and my mom fell in love with another person..(at the time before that she was a single mother) my “stepdad” had 3 daughters and no son’s and I stayed with them for 3 years (including 2017) and those were the worst years of my LIFE. Those years brought my self esteem to lower a MASSIVE amount cause I used to be all cheerful and happy and humble, but I am inside now are empty and gloomy, I feel like I want to die but inside me I know I can’t do that, so I feel like just running away. I’ve moved back to my old house and my sister (age 25) and brother (age 2 live there too but I also wanna find a way to run away without anyone noticing in the morning cause my mom comes back from work at 8:00PM and goes to work at 10:00AM I come back from school at 2:45PM and my sister goes to work at anytime or can go hangout with her friends and my big bro stays at the house most of the times but also hangout with his friends. And when I run away I want to bring my dog to (Name: Lucky, Age:1, Breed: Terrier) so I hope you know my story now and know away to know how to help me. Also I live in NC so I hope that helps. and again I hope you know how to help me. -S

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by your daughter causing issues. From what we can gather it seems like you might need to hire a lawyer. If the Police have told you all these things it is your right to enforce them to do so. However perhaps by hiring a lawyer they can on your behalf help you to do what it is that they should be doing under the law. Again we are sorry to hear about what is going on but suggest your best course of action is hiring a lawyer so that he can mitigate on your behalf. If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best. We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe, NRS

Guest replied
    My daughter is 17 and she has a daughter I have asked the police on several occasions to bring her home and they have literally put this case on the back burner for years at this point I really am at a lost of words on what to do it appears that they meaning the police department, social service and depart of juvenile justice has no intention to help me. I spoke with an officer tonight that read me the law that if she is underage under 18 that she can be made to come home and he basically said that he couldn’t do anything because she could sue them so he read me the law that said for him to do something and he wouldn’t I have been having a problem with this child for years I am at wits end I do not know what else to do please help.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us. If you’re a minor and you leave your home your parent/guardians can file a “runaway report” which is essentially just a missing persons report. Generally, there’s no penalty for running away, it’s just something you can’t do as a minor. That being said, if you go to someone’s house it can be considered that the person who is housing you is “harboring a runaway”, which is normally a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway vary from state to state, police officer to officer and how your parents react.

If you’d like to talk more about options you may have available to you or if you want to go further in depth about some of the things we’re touched upon, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button at the top of our homepage.

Best of luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    .Can I walk out of the house without my parents consent without getting into trouble?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hey there,
    Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are here to help in any way we can.
    By using this website: https://sexetc.org/action-center/sex-in-the-states/ I looked up the different laws about age of majority in North Carolina. It does look like at 17 you are still considered a minor, so leaving your shelter without DSS permission would be considered a status offense, which means it is something that you cannot do simply because of your age. We are not legal experts, but our understanding is that when minors run away, your case worker would file a runaway report with your local police department. Every police department has a unique way of handling runaways, but our general understanding is that the number one priority would be to return you safely back to your shelter. If you have run away more than once, or are considered “chronic”, this of course may be handled differently.
    One of the services we offer here at NRS is to call out to local police stations to see how they handle runaway youth anonymously. If you would like to do this, want to talk through your plan, or have any other questions, feel free to call us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are a 24/7, toll-free, completely confidential safeline. Here to listen, here to help.
    Best of luck

Guest replied
    Okay i am 17 and will turn 18 in 4 months. I am currently in DSS custody of NC. i have somewhere to go but DSS will not approve of it. I need to know how much trouble i could get into from running from my shelter

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod11
    Hi, and thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things with your daughter. You mentioned not being able to make your daughter stay home. One thing you can do if your daughter leaves is to file a runaway report with the police. A runaway report is considered a status offense (and so not a misdemeanor or felony or anything that would go on her record). Filing a runaway report can help protect you as a parent in case anything were to happen to your daughter while she is on the run.

We understand this can be a very difficult time for you. Please know that you are not alone. We are here to listen and here to help in any way we can. Another resource for support is called Team H.O.P.E., which stands for Help Offering Parents Empowerment. It is a support group (via phone, no need to go anywhere for meetings or in person) of people who may be in similar situations with their children - although obviously no two situations are exactly the same. The telephone number for Team HOPE is 1-866-305-4673.

This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). Best, NRS

Guest replied
    I have a 16 yr old daughter and I can't make her stay home and she doesn't tell me where she is at. I just concerned that she is not making the best of decisions she is supposed to be with her best friend which is a almost 21 yr old male and his mom is thinking of having him put in a place because of his decisions he has Asperger's

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hello, Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re having a hard time at home. Here at NRS, we truly want to inform you and support you as best we can.

We are not legal experts however, at age 11 you are still considered a minor and would need parental consent if you decided to leave home. If you do runaway, your parents do have the right to file a runaway report. It might be helpful to note that if you are found that the police will return you back to your parents. Also, some other things to consider if you do decide to go live with an internet friend is that your friend could be charged with something called harboring a runaway. In addition, it might also be helpful to think about how well you know this person and what would happen if this friend isn’t who you think they are. You may also consider how you’ll keep yourself safe and what will be the plan B if you are no longer able to stay with this person.

We hope this was helpful. Please feel free to reach back out to us if you need any additional assistance. We are here 24-7.

Thank you again,

NRS

Guest replied
    I hate my parents.

Hi, I’m 11, from North Carolina, and my parents are disgusting, absolutely DISGUSTING.
    They once told me not to get married to me and my younger brother. They also invade all of my privacy and look through everything I do.
    Not only that, they always argue. And we have an ant problem, so?
    my mom also doesnt want me to go to my aunts. Even though my aunt actually cares about me, my mom doesn’t.
    My dad is okay, my brother cares, but my mom? I wish she was dead, for gods sake.
    I wish to run away to the Florida keys to live with an internet friend. Even though I’m young, I dont care about staying in this household anymore.
    Just keeping this simple..and if she sees this, wish me luck.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can and we truly care about you. It can be very frustrating not knowing information about leaving your group home being the age you are and we are certainly here to talk and brainstorm somethings with you.

First, we are not legal experts but generally the age of legal adulthood where you can choose where you want to live without guardian permission is at 18 years old. Since your social worker from DSS may be considered your legal guardian, if you do leave the group home at 16, your social worker may file a runaway report with the police and the police might try to bring you back to the group home. Since you mentioned in your area the age to move out may be 16, you may want to think about contacting your local police department. They may have more specific details on if your social worker can file a runaway report and if you legally can leave without their permission. You can call the local non-emergency number and ask these questions but you do not have to give any information, like your name or address, if you do not want to. You always have the right to end the call if the person you are talking to makes you feel like you have to. They may be able to answer the question of what the age of adulthood is to move out of the legal guardian’s home and if it is different since you have a social worker, but sometimes it depends on the police officer you get a hold of. We can always brainstorm other ideas as well and try to help you as best we can. We can also reach out on your behalf if you are able to give us a call here at 1-800-RUNAWAY and we can call out to your local non-emergency police and ask these questions while advocating for you.

If you do feel comfortable talking more about what is going on, or you want to talk further on the legality of leaving the group home feel free to contact us again. We are here 24/7 and we have an online chat system at 1800runaway.org as well as our phone number 1-800-RUNAWAY. It takes a lot of strength to reach out and we are glad you did. We hope to hear from you soon!

Best, NRS

Guest replied
    Hello I am 16 in the state of North Carolina. I am in Charlotte Mecklenburg County DSS, and in a CHA group home. My goal is to leave my group home without my DSS social workers permission. Is this possible? Legally am I able to leave without consent from DSS period, I am assuming so, since I am 16? That is the legal "move out" age, but I'm confused if the rule still applies to me considering DSS "owns" me???

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X