Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Im tired of living with my father . i live in north carolina and am 16 years of age , I am about to turn 17 in about 6 months . I am tired of living in the house hold with my father . He treats me as if I was a 10 year old girl ... I have been working ever since I was 15 , getting my own money , I help them when they need money . I pay for everything I want . I dont ask them for anything but they treat me as if I was a little girl .. my mom & dad have went through alot and ever since my dad doesn’t let mw go out anywhere . He’s very religious and says if I go out I am a prostitute , I have tried to do sports & he says I will go to hell for playing sports like soccer & volleyball . I did drop out because of this same reason a few months ago I got very depressed a left school and now that I try & go back he doesn’t let me he wants to force me to pay for home school classes , He has even got to the point where he follows me every day to work so he’ll know I am at work . He thinks I dont know but he’s always watching me and I can’t live like this no more , he’s so focused on not letting me do anything besides work that I have gotten very depressed to where sometimes id rather die than live like this .. Yes I like working but im almost 17 I want to be able to go out & have a normal life .. I tell him im depressed & he tells me im just making things up when in reality I feel like I am in prison I feel trapped . i dont know what to do .

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The national Runaway Safeline and sharing a little bit of what’s going on at home. It seems like you are going through a difficult time right now. Not being able to have freedom or privacy can be frustrating and it is understandable it is taking a toll on your mental health. One option to consider is talking with a school counselor about how you are feeling, they may be able to offer options and support. Another good resource that may help with your mental health is called NAMI, which is the national alliance for mental illnesses. They can be reached at 1800-950-NAMI.
    We are not legal experts but we do have some information on the laws. If you were to leave home without permission, because you are a minor your legal guardian could file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home.
    We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 14 and my mom and dad scream at me and give me absolutely no freedom and tell me I'm too young for privacy and it's truly taking a toll on my mental health. can I legally run away and live with a friend?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to us at The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you have been going through a really difficult time lately. We are not legal experts but if your mother signed her rights over, then it should be your guardian who can make the decisions for you such as getting a license. You would need to find out if your mother has rights by contacting your court house or discussing this with your guardian.
    For emancipation we are unsure if you getting in trouble in school would prevent you from getting emancipated. One option to consider is calling your local court house and asking them the steps for you to become emancipated. You can also always call us and we can provide you with legal aid numbers.
    We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support for you. We wish you the best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I’m going to be 16 in may and I don’t live with my parents. My father is incarcerated and my mother was verbally abusive and physical abusive and I was a little bit out of hand when I lived there but I’m trying to better myself. She would leave me at home days at a time by myself. So she let me move in with a family friend I have been staying here for over a month. My mother does not provide anything for me. My guardian provides everything and when I turn 16 I’m getting a job and going to start paying my own way at least help with school clothes and phone bill. But my mother even though I don’t live with her she’s refusing to let me get my license and my guardians are going on vacation and she refuses to let me go with them. Saying I don’t deserve it but she doesn’t even know if I do or not because I don’t live with her or I haven’t talked to her since i moved out I’m hearing all of this from my guardian. I’m thinking about getting emancipated when I turn 16 but I’m scared they won’t approve me because I got in a fight at school before I moved out of my moms and I had to go to court and I ran away from home at 14 and they might think I’m a troubled teen but I was only troubled cause I lived with her and she was toxic . I just want a better life for my self and she’s making it so hard to even want to try.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thank you for contacting National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a lot at home with your mom and we are here to support and help you.

We aren't legal experts at NRS, but since you are under the age of 18, you are considered a minor and a legal guardian would need to authorize an alternate living situation for you. Therefore, if you decided to run away and your parents file a report with the police you would most likely be brought back home again. Running away isn't illegal, but something that can't be done as a minor (like smoking or gambling etc.).

It may be most helpful for you to consider calling us at 1-800-786-2929 and speak with us so we can obtain more information from you about what’s going on. We can also mediate a conversation between you and your mom through a conference call and we are available 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Either way, it’s important to have a safety plan in the event you decide to leave home and we can help locate supportive resources for you as well as brainstorm a plan that will keep you safe.

Best of luck,
    National Runaway Safeline

Guest replied
    Hi I'm 15 years old and I live in NC. My life was fine until I met my online girlfriend. There's a problem tho, she's 20. I know everyone says that's too old or whatever but the age of consent here is 16 and I'll be 16 in 3 months. Everything was fine and nobody knew until I got into trouble and my mom went through my phone. She found out and said if I continued to talk to her she would call the police.This also made her find out that I'm bisexual (I'm a girl too so) She said she'll love me no matter what but I'm not feeling the love and support she says she has for it. Anyways she said no to my girlfriend but I went against her and continued to talk to her until last night she found out that I was still talking to her. She said she's calling the police. I messed up. I really messed up. I know I disrespected my mom and I know I went against her but she is completely overreacting. Don't get me wrong I see why she's mad but I wish she would just listen to me. I am just so full of guilt and regret and I feel terrible and I'm terrified that she'll actually call the police and I'll get my girlfriend into trouble. I don't think I could live with that on my conscious. I just want to run away and be free from my parents grasp. And I'll be sixteen so I could be with my girlfriend but she probably hates me now. I just don't know what to do anymore..please help.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. This could be the case if you stay with your friend. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I'm 17 years old and my birthday in acouple more months and ill be 18 so if I live with a friend without my parents permission would the police take me back home or would I be able to stay with him without worrying about court cause I always get picked on at the high school I go to now and I wanna live with my friend so I can go to his school and plus there neighbor drama at my house

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,

You can pass this info along to your girlfriend...

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My girlfriend

Im 18 years old , no issues with my parents , i’d say my life is pretty good . my girlfriend is 16 years old and her relationship with her mother isn’t the best . Her mother has physically abused her at one point and verbally/emotionally abuses her every single day and I don’t mean to over exaggerate that but it’s literally every day , my girlfriend says she’s never been more miserable than she is now and that she’d be happier on the streets . She has voiced her concerns to her mother who continues to beat her down and make her feel stupid . As for me I know i’m 18 and can receive more legal issues on my behalf so I stay out of anything that could get me in trouble but I told my girlfriend about emancipation and she fears her parents will find out or it won’t get approved . Emancipation overall is a long process and it’s to the point when she doesn’t want to wait anymore . she’s voiced to both her parents that they should kick her out so she could be truly happy and I believe she has 2 friends that would take her in if she left home and my parents also might consider . I tell her she needs to be sure of her options if she decides to runaway but as for north carolina , what’s the laws on a 16-year old wanting to runway and is there a way for her to runway and not be forced back home ? What could her parents do if she ran away ? What can law enforcement do ? Although she has valid reason for her wanting to run away ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    It is a great that you have supportive friends that are willing to help you. We are by no means legal experts. Potentially your friends could get in trouble it really depends on the local police. Another thing to think about is how your parents will react if they were to decide to file a runaway report the police could return you home to them. It can be frustrating when you and your parents cannot see eye to eye. Have you and your parents always had conflicts or is that something new. Have you tried talking to them about some of the issues that you guys are having? Something to consider is maybe having a friend or someone that you know that would support you there when talking to them. You could see if there is someone that your parents would be willing to let you stay with when you guys are having conflict. We are glad that you reach out to us and remember we are here to support you.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Guest replied
    Hey so im a 14 year old kid. In NC and I have been completely fed up with my parents. Ive been recently drug tested and came back positive for THC. They have been threatening to kick me out of the house. I have some people whos place I could stay at but I dont want them charged for sheltering a run away. My friend also wants to run away and she told me she has a condo by the beach and she wants to stay there. Would that be counted as sheltering a runaway? What would happen if I miss school for all those days? I am a high school student. Could you help give me information? I really dont want to deal with the police right now its going to f*** me up more.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out.

18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you leave home without permission at 16, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org

Guest replied
    hi i am just wondering if i runway at 16 can i get into any legal trouble

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X