Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Hi, I am 19 years old. About a week ago, I was asked to do a favor by some friends. They asked me to pick up their friend who is 17 because she was getting abused by her parents. The reason they asked me is because I’m the only who drives. They didn’t tell me who the girl was or anything besides the fact that she turns 18 soon and her family is abusing her. Even though I didn’t know her or the whole story, the thought of someone being abused irks me so I did it anyways. Well now, the police are out searching and they have proof that I picked her up. A private investigator called me and asked me a bunch of questions that I answered truthfully. I am worried though that I will go to jail for picking up a runaway when at the time, I did not know was a runaway at all. I thought she was leaving for a couple nights then going back home to work things out or something because I dropped her off at someone’s house. I did not keep her or house her, just picked her up and dropped her off. If I had known that she was going to be a runaway, I most definitely would not have done it but have gone to the police about it first. I have a such a bright future ahead of me and I can’t afford to get arrested for something I had no idea was going on. I’m scared and worried. Not only because I did that, but because I’m 19 and she’s 17. She apparently turns 18 very soon. What do I do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello, Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like being at home is really starting to get to you. You mentioned that you have contacted DSS before. Do you know what came from that case? You might be able to contact the case worker that is in charge of your case and let them know about what is going on. We want you to know that you deserve to feel safe in your own home. You said that you have had conversations with your mother about your father behavior but she does not seem to want to do anything to help. Perhaps we can conference a call with you and your mother to talk about your options on leaving home. We know that you already looking into emancipation but maybe we can give you some more information on it. Because from what we are hearing you might be a good candidate for it. If you give us a call we can talk more about all of your options as well as ways to keep you safe in your home. 1-800-786-2929
    Best wishes,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 16, my family is unstable. I'm not able to focus on myself like with my school work without knowing I'm in a place that I'm not happy.
    Everyday I wake up and its the same. I enjoy going to school because it gets me away from home. I dread the weekends because I have to be home unless I can be with my boyfriend or a friend.
    There has been abuse. DSS got involved, its been pretty bad. My father is the abuser. He's mentally and physically abusing. He grabs my little brother hard and yells at him and such and my brother is now to where he follows in my dads footsteps.
    Mental abuse from him like he has lied, he has told me before my household chores are ultimate priority instead of my school work. I take college and high school classes at the same time. I usually come home with a lot of homework.
    My father is unreliable. He makes bad choices for himself and sometimes puts us in a bad place for our family. My mom has told me I cant do anything that it is his choice and that she can't do anything to make him do what he needs to do to be a father.
    I'm not sure what I can do. I have talked to,my mom abouy moving out with a family member,or friend and she tells me no. I'm not sure what I can do. I want to try to go for emancipation but I feel my reasoning wouldn't be enough.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    replied
    Hi,

Thank you for contacting NRS. It is very brave of you to seek help. It sounds like you're going through a tough time at home. You don't deserve to be treated that way, abuse is never okay. We cannot tell you what to do because we are non directive here, but we can try to provide you with resources that can help you in your situation. You mentioned that you have scars from when you were previously beaten. If you would like to report the abuse, you may want to take pictures of your scars. Child Help is a child abuse hotline (1-800-422-4453) that you could call for more information about reporting abuse. Your safety is very important. Some things you may want to consider is if your mother files a runaway report, and the police find you they could return you home. Running away is not illegal so you cannot get arrested, however if you were to stay with a friend, your friend could get in trouble for harboring a runaway if the police find you. Talking to someone that you trust about the issues that you are facing at home could be useful as well. We are always here to listen and help the best we can. If you feel that you would like to talk to us please feel free to call our 24 hour hotline (1-800-786-2929).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi, I'm 16 and I live in North Carolina, and I've been having family issues, tings get better and then go back to worse again, my mom told me I could pack my things and move it if I wanted, but when I did she filed a missing persons on me on Facebook, I can't go home or I'll be really beaten, I have scars from when they beat me before, what should I do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hey there,
    Thanks for reaching out to our forum! We appreciate you explaining a bit about your situation and we will help you in any way we can.
    It sounds like home life is a really stressful environment. You definitely don’t deserve to be abused in any way, it does seem that your step-mom is physically and verbally abusive to you. You do have the right to report the abuse. We at NRS can do abuse reports for or with you, there’s also Child Help (the national child abuse hotline) at 800-422-4453. They also help youth find ways to get their custody transferred over to a safe adult or family member. You mentioned running away. Running away is not something that you can be arrested for. If you do runaway, parents are able to make a runaway report with their police. That goes nationwide and if police find you, they just bring you back home. We do see police refusing to take a runaway report on 17 year olds. We offer to call out to police with youth and ask them what their runaway protocols are. The only time we see people being charged in a runaway situation, is when the parents of a runaway ask the police to charge an adult who’s letting the runaway stay with them. The charge is called “harboring a runaway”, it’s not a common charge and parents are the ones who usually ask police to press it. If you do decide to run away, and don’t want to stay with friends, NRS can help you find runaway shelters in your area.
    Talking to school counselors or teachers about what you’re going through at home could also give you some additional support. You’re not alone in this, and we are always here to help out. Our safeline is open 24/7 and we also have a chatting service via our website. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us!
    Be well, NRS

Guest replied
    Hello my name is fred and I just turned 17 years old on the 13th I am texting in regards to that I would like to either runaway or get emancipated from my house. I have a step mother who treats me like garbage and sometimes whenever she yells at me she will push me up against the wall and slap me across the face and always asking me do you want to fight whenever I scowl at her because of the way she treats me. She abuses me more than my real father does my real mom left at an airport by myself and my step mom says that if she had the chance she would slaughter 9r kill my real mom (I don't remember which) mymy step mom has a friend who cares a lot about me and my sister who goes through the same stuff as me and she said if she could she would take us in a heartbeat she loves us and care for us more than my step mom does now my step sisters mom is my step mom and I have a little brother that is spoiled and who is treated like a prince on my birthday this year I didn't get anything for my birthday from my parents in fact I got yelled at. My real dad is completely brainwashed by my step mom and she thinks must have all the attention in the house and if my step sis or me is sick my step mom will pretend she is sick so she can get attention from everyone and she makes us do stuff for and we havent. Done anything this summer I have a friend who can give a place to stay but not for long. There's so much more but I need HELP before I lose my marbles and do something I will regret for the rest of my life can you please help me!

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: I have a friend that is 16 years old

Hello there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).
    We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now.
    It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation with your friend may end in suicide if things don’t change.
    Their safety and well-being is important. If they are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.

If any harm or abuse is happening at home, they have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

If you feel like this might be an option your friend might want to explore, they may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help them to file a report if that’s the route they are considering.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
    This may be an isolating and lonely time for your friend, but they are not alone in this. You seem to be a caring a god friend to them. They are fortunate to have your support. Good job.
    We want you to know that we are here as support to help as well through this challenging time.

If you or your friend would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe and stay strong,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have a friend that is 16 years old and her parents abuse her and she wants to run away her dad lives in Columbia but her mom lives in Charlotte she lives with her mom but goes to Columbia for the summer both of them abuse her physically and verbally what can she do to get away from both of them I really want to help my friend because she is having suicidal thoughts anybody have any advice please help
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 08-19-2017, 02:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Hi, Justin: we're glad you reached out to us today. It's a tough situation when you parents are threatening to kick you out and you aren't sure what your options would be. We aren't lawyers here, but under most circumstances your parents are responsible for you until you are at least 18. So they can't just kick you out without creating a situation where a complaint could be made to child protective authorities in your state. If they were to follow through on the threat you could make such a complaint yourself or you could tell a teacher or someone at school and they would actually be required by law to file the complaint. Under a situation where you and your parents just cannot get along, you might want to consider an alternative living arrangement of some kind. You might also want to consider whether there are things you'd want to change in your own behavior that could make things easier on everybody. We'd be happy to talk to you about this if you want to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We're here 24/7 and the call is free and confidential.

Guest replied
    hey so i'm 17 right, and i got a few questions. My parents have been threatening to kick me out for a while, I live in North Carolina. Is it illegal for them to put me on the street? And if not, what are my options after that? Also I've ran away multiple times. The most I've ever left for was about three days. I just don't really know what to think about all this and from searching the internet I'm not really finding the specific legal answers I'm looking for. I mainly want to know about the actual laws on the subject and what's legal and what's not in this scenario. Thank you, Justin.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Thank you for contacting NRS, we are glad you reached out to us. We are sorry to hear about your situation, it must be tough. Although we are not legal experts, we do know that running away is not a crime, so the police will not arrest you if you run away. If your mother reports to the police that you ran away, the police will search for you and get you back home. Again we are not legal experts, so we do not know about the capability of your mother charging you with weed possession. However, if she made such threats, you can report it to the police, they may able to help you better. If you need specific resources or help, please feel free to call or chat with us anytime, we are open 24/7. Our number is 1-800-786-2929, 1800runaway.org for chatting

Guest replied
    sooooo. I'm 16 and I have a 18 year old boyfriend in which my mother does not like and she is determined to get him in some type of trouble for being sexually involved with me, and I admit to staying out late with him but she always makes it seem like it's he's forcing me to do these things but NO everything that I have done with him was because I asked or because I wanted to , he never ever forced me to do anything and it's about to be 3 months with him but here in NC 16 is the legal age of consent so he wouldn't get in any trouble but she is verbally abusive she always gets mad when I'm out with him and when I'm home its like I barely exist and it really irritates me so I'm almost at a point to where I jus wanna leave and not come back , I have 3 places I could go and I'm just really sick of feeling like I'm not needed here , just lack of support and care it's really stressful as a upcoming junior and just having all the cons there are coming with it , I just want to leave but I want to be able to still make appointments for myself and do things that will get me through my life until I'm 18 , would she be able to call and get the police to arrest me for leaving ? She keeps telling that she can have me charged for weed while I'm 16 too. .. can she do that ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello,

If you have any questions about what can be done legally, you can reach out to a local legal aid agency in your area for specific information. It sounds like your son doesn't want to live there, and your mom is becoming frustrated with his behavior. If she is legally responsible for him, then any changes may need to be made through your local court.

NRS

Guest replied
    Good Morning, My son just turned 15 on 7/1/17 and he wants to live with my husband and unfortunately my mother legally adopted hip 10 years ago so he lives with her. Now that he is 15 he states he don't want to live with her anymore and my mom is always complaining he is disrespectful therefore she wanted him gone. He leaves his furniture but of course he takes his clothes and shoes. Is there anything that can be done she is demanding he comes home on Friday but she is not even taking in account what he has to do! Just need help and answers please!
    please respond to
    Last edited by ccsmod2; 07-06-2017, 07:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X