No announcement yet.

Need advice

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need advice

    So I'm 16, and my legal curfew is at midnight. Most nights they want me home at 11, which usually isn't a problem, but sometimes the lady who gives me a ride gets really sick and her back locks up so she can't drive me. I have an alarm set for 10 30 because I'm usually asleep at the place I go, which is across town. Half an hour is more than enough time to drive me home, but when she gets sick I have to walk. I let them know I'll be home 15 minutes to half an hour late...and they threaten to call the police. My question is, can they actually get me in any sort of trouble for that if I'm home before legal curfew? As far as I know the only thing the police could do is take me home, but they keep saying that the friend's house I'm hanging out at can get in trouble for harboring a runaway. Also, if I'm being emotionally abused, being told I'm a piece of ******** and tearing apart the family etc. for something like walking upstairs to avoid my little brother screaming at me, am I legally allowed to leave for the night because it gets hard to deal with and it usually leads to panic attacks depending on the severity of the argument. PS I live in Oregon.

  • #2
    Hey there,

    Thanks for reaching out. You don't deserve to be treated unfairly by your parents and have them say hurtful things to you. We actually don't give advice here at NRS, so we don't know what the laws are specifcally for your state. If you have questions about curfew and harboring a runaway, you can contact the local non emergency police to ask about their policies on that. Hopefully that helps!

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      I am 17. I cannot stand to live with my parents anymore. The yelling I can take but it's the constant name calling I can no longer take. What can I do? Can I get emancipated with out their consent? Or do I even need it, am I old enough to move out by myself anyway?


      • ccsmod1
        ccsmod1 commented
        Editing a comment

        Thanks for reaching out to us for support. We are sorry to hear about the situation at your home. You don't deserve to be called names and it is understandable to want to leave. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can.It sounds like you are interested in emancipation. We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. The best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp