Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!

Okay I'm 17 I will be 18 in August but I graduate in 2 weeks, someone told me that once you're graduated in the state of indiana you can move out if you're 17 because you're no longer a student. I'm struggling at home with being treated like a maid. I have my own job, but the thing is my boyfriend is 1 year and 5 months older than me so I do not want to get him in trouble if I do leave. Nor do I want to take this all into the court system because everything here is complicated as it is. I already feel like I'm not welcomed in my house so I want to leave soon before I'm 18. Any help is helpful. THANKS.

Hello,
    Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    It sounds like you are tired of your parents making you do everything at home and not helping you get a permit. It is understandable that you would want to go and live with your boyfriend who loves and supports you with your day to day activities. You mentioned wanting to move in with your boyfriend after you graduate which sounds like great plan. We know that you mentioned that your parents would flip out but have you tried talking to them about this idea? They might surprise you. If you still feel like they might not be encouraging about this perhaps you can consider using our conference calling service, this is a service where you would call us and we would hold a conference call between you and your parents to talk about how both sides are feeling. We would serve as mediators, we are not here to necessarily choose sides but rather help come up with a solution that would make the situation at home better. This might be helpful to you if you have concerns about your mother not listening or not being open to hear what you have to say. If you feel like this is a service that you would find useful you can give us a call and one of our trained liner will be happy to assist you
    Again, thank you for reaching out to us. We really do want to help you accomplish your goals so if you feel comfortable please give us a call anytime 1-800-786-2929
    We are looking forward to hearing from you soon.
    Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I've already tried talking to my parents about it and they want me here after I'm 18 because my 3 year old brother. I know I could leave once I turn 18 but I want out ASAP. I doubt a conference call would help anything because after the call they would yell at me and I don't need the stress adding on. My dad told me he doesn't expect seeing me after August but I really want out after graduation. But I will keep this all in mind andoing than you for helping me. It means a lot (:

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        You are so welcome. We truly wish you the best and encourage you to always keep your safety in mind. You might start thinking about how you are going to support yourself and survive once you leave home at 18, or if you are thinking about leaving earlier.

We also have family counseling resources if you feel like your dad might go for that more than he would go for a conference call. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you would like to talk more about your situation, or if you need any other resources such as shelters. We can have a much more fluid conversation on chat or phone and might be able to brainstorm additional options for you.

We are 24/7 and are here to listen, here to help.

-NRS
        Last edited by ccsmod7; 05-25-2017, 12:50 AM.
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X