My girlfriend wants to run away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My girlfriend wants to run away

My girlfriend is 14 years old and is planning on running away from her abusive parents. We are both female and since they found out about our relationship they've been taking her phone and yelling at her and calling her names and hitting her. If she doesn't get kicked out she's planning on running away to spend spring break at my house, which is 40 minutes away. Is this legal? Could her parents call the police and lie and get her in trouble? I want her to be safe and I'm worried about her parents because obviously they won't like this. I talked to my mom about it and she's fine with it though, but could she get in trouble by letting her stay with us? Is this a possible situation and could her parents at least get in trouble for abusing her and her brothers? I'm just worried for her safety and everything. Please help asap.

RE: My girlfriend wants to runaway.

Hello there –

Thank you for getting into contact with us here that the National Runaway Safeline. From what you have told us about your situation, it sounds like your girlfriend is going through a very difficult time right now living at home with her parents. No one deserves to be treated like that and she should definitely be able to be comfortable in the house you are living in. She has every right to report any kind of abuse going on with either the police or child protective services. If that is something that you wish to do and go ahead with, that is something that we can offer our help with. If she or you feel that she is in danger or her safety at risk, you can always call the local police to have them come and check on things.

From the sounds of it, it looks like your girlfriend has been thinking about running away for quite a while now. Since she is under the age of majority for your state and are considered still a minor, her parents have the right to file a runaway report. What that means is that if a police officer were to pick her up, they would see that she has a report filed under her name and take her back home or hold her until arrangements can be made to take her back home. It’s not illegal to run away, but it’s considered a status offense. Keep in mind that these are just the general rules that apply to most states, but since we aren’t legal experts we can’t say anything for certain. Every states might have different laws on how runaway children are handled; sort of a case by case thing. So you always have the option to get into contact with your local non-emergency police number and ask them hypothetical questions about runways and how they are handled in that specific state. This should give you a more direct answer.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

My girl friend is 14 and she want to run away she lives in Colorado and I live in California can I get my parents in trouble with the law or could I possibly get in trouble aswell for helping her what do I do?

Comment

• ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello,
        Thanks for reaching out to us. It’s great that you want to help your girlfriend, and it is important that you and she understand what could happen if she runs away, but it’s important that you and she understand what could happen if she were to run away.
        We’re not legal experts, but yes, depending on the circumstances, your parents could get in trouble if your girlfriend was found at their/your house.
        We invite you to call or chat with us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or 1800runaway.org so we can discuss the situation further and make sure we answer your questions as accurately as possible. We’re available 24/7, ready to listen and ready to help.
        And we wish you and your girlfriend the best!
        -NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X