Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mom gave me permission to move out but...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom gave me permission to move out but...

She gave me permission to move out, she has seen me packing up things in boxes and organizing and cleaning, even gave me advices. But I have one more year of high school which I'm planning to do it online because I rarely go to school, I hate it there, but I'm really good at studying and doing work. She doesn't want me to finish online, and said that if I don't go to a regular school she is going to call the cops and make them bring me back. Which by the way is making me want to drop out in general until I turn 18 ( 5 months) and then go to night schoo". Can my mom really change her mind after I move in and finish in a virtual school? Can she make the cops bring me home after she gave me permission?
    I might not tell her where I'm going, like an address, if I have to.

Response to #1:

Hello there, thanks for reaching out.

Sorry to hear that your mom said she would call the police on you if you left, after she had previously given you permission. That seems pretty hurtful and hard to deal with.

Unfortunately, she can go back on the verbal agreement that you all made since it does not have legal standing and she is still your legal guardian until you are 18. She has the right to attempt to file a runaway report for you with your local police. However, since you are so close to turning 18, you might see if your local police would take a runaway report for you by calling your local police non-emergency number and asking hypothetical questions. If they do take a report and if they find you, you would be returned home.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you want to talk more about your situation and help with brainstorming your options. Here at NRS we truly want to help.

Best of luck,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X